Reproducing a track

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok, I have a friend that wants to take a track and flip it to do kind of a parody. The original track uses a sample that people know, but I am just going to recreate it from the ground up. It's still obvious where the song came from. What kind of fee's or legalities are we looking at technically, to mock a song but its recreated from the ground up?

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
change a few notes, and nothing... actually im not really sure, but I think i remmeber hearing that if you do change a few notes, that your in the clear.

DaWorldFamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok, I have a friend that wants to take a track and flip it to do kind of a parody. The original track uses a sample that people know, but I am just going to recreate it from the ground up. It's still obvious where the song came from. What kind of fee's or legalities are we looking at technically, to mock a song but its recreated from the ground up?

I don't know really, but I don't think u would have a problem because it's kind of like a cover song. as long as u credit the original sample, u should be straight but I would find out for sure

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

Remember the Vanilla Ice hit Ice Ice baby or what ever it was called. When that track was sampled a few notes were changed and he still got hit with crazy fees. You really have to change it up. Look at boom bap style sampling, no matter how you chop that sample up you are still going to have to pay somehing. With recreating a track I would say use the same chord progressions and stuff like that but play a different melody that has the same feel as the original that is 100% legal. Its something like a Rhythm Changes. Every Jazz composer has made a song based off of those chord changes changes ie "I got Rhythm" by George Gershwin. Many Jazz composers flipped that tune and made something "new" Oleo by Sonny Rollins, Cotton Tail by Duke Ellington, or even Anthropology Charlie Parker ft. Dizzy Gillespie to name a few. Hell, even Meet the Flintstones by Hoyt Curtin was flipped from I got rhythm. All the same chord changes or progressions just with different melodies. Check those tunes out on youtube and it might turn out to be a good history lesson on the originators of sample I mean tune flipping before the MPC lol.

Peace

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Remember the Vanilla Ice hit Ice Ice baby or what ever it was called. When that track was sampled a few notes were changed and he still got hit with crazy fees. You really have to change it up. Look at boom bap style sampling, no matter how you chop that sample up you are still going to have to pay something. With recreating a track I would say use the same chord progressions and stuff like that but play a different melody that has the same feel as the original that is 100% legal. Its something like a Rhythm Changes. Every Jazz composer has made a song based off of those chord changes changes ie "I got Rhythm" by George Gershwin. Many Jazz composers flipped that tune and made something "new" Oleo by Sonny Rollins, Cotton Tail by Duke Ellington, or even Anthropology Charlie Parker ft. Dizzy Gillespie to name a few. Hell, even Meet the Flintstones by Hoyt Curtin was flipped from I got rhythm. All the same chord changes or progressions just with different melodies. Check those tunes out on youtube and it might turn out to be a good history lesson on the originators of sample I mean tune flipping before the MPC lol.

Peace

Oh yea I went on a wild tangent with the last post but there is a Post on the Ill Fourms that talks about sampling and fees. Do a search and you should find it. I would look for you but im posting from my blackberry right now. Ill see what I can find and post it for you if you dont get to it first. Peace

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Remember the Vanilla Ice hit Ice Ice baby or what ever it was called. When that track was sampled a few notes were changed and he still got hit with crazy fees. You really have to change it up. Look at boom bap style sampling, no matter how you chop that sample up you are still going to have to pay something. With recreating a track I would say use the same chord progressions and stuff like that but play a different melody that has the same feel as the original that is 100% legal. Its something like a Rhythm Changes. Every Jazz composer has made a song based off of those chord changes changes ie "I got Rhythm" by George Gershwin. Many Jazz composers flipped that tune and made something "new" Oleo by Sonny Rollins, Cotton Tail by Duke Ellington, or even Anthropology Charlie Parker ft. Dizzy Gillespie to name a few. Hell, even Meet the Flintstones by Hoyt Curtin was flipped from I got rhythm. All the same chord changes or progressions just with different melodies. Check those tunes out on youtube and it might turn out to be a good history lesson on the originators of sample I mean tune flipping before the MPC lol.

Peace

Oh yea I went on a wild tangent with the last post but there is a Post on the Ill Fourms that talks about sampling and fees. Do a search and you should find it. I would look for you but im posting from my blackberry right now. Ill see what I can find and post it for you if you dont get to it first. Peace

members online