Response to Hot97: Summary as of Feb 4th

PRIZM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Response to the Hot97 Debacle:
SUMMARY as of February 4th, 2005

Almost two weeks after the initial airing on Hot97's morning show, I'm taking a moment to debrief those who have actively helped to make our collective conscious voice heard by summarizing all that has happened since I first found out about the incident on January 21st. Initially, after the first few days, word had spread to only a few reporters and journalists around the world and the news was largely unnoticed but by a few local news stations in the US, but as time passed, the voice speaking up against Hot97's actions only grew louder, resonating with support from all walks of life. There are now over 50,000 signatories to the initial petition, which represented only the first step in the campaign to create global awareness of the incident. News outlets such as the BBC, BET, MuchMusic, FOX, the WB, and CNN have all either done news features investigating the incident or have actively discussed the incident on air. In addition, a heated rally took place in NYC on Jan 28th, seeing hundreds of citizens and media unite in the streets to protest the recent atrocities committed by the radio station despite the freezing cold. Amongst those who have spoken out avidly about the matter are various NYC councilmen, who have demanded that yet more serious punishments are handed down to the radio stations from the governing bodies.

So far, as a result of ALL of these actions against Hot97:
- Todd Lynn (co-host of the Morning Show) has been terminated for his involvement in the production of the offensive song, and for his racially insensitive comments on air.
- Rick Delgado (producer of the Morning Show) has been terminated for his role in writing, producing, and airing the "Tsunami Song." Delgado is basically being blamed for a lot of what Miss Jones is believed to actually have been responsible for.
- Miss Jones (who "didn't write the song" and "didn't wish to play the song" - ha ha ha, right), DJ Envy, and Tasha Hightower have been suspended for two weeks ending Feb 9th, with their salaries during the suspension period going towards the relief effort in Southeast Asia. Miss Info was not suspended. Miss Jones has also apologized on air multiple times for her misdirection and poor discretion.
- Emmis Communications, owner of the Hot97 radio station, has offered to donate an additional million dollars to the Give2Asia relief fund. Councilman John Liu is apparently demanding that the corporate giant Emmis donate 10 million instead.
- Coca-Cola, Toyota, Reebok, H&R Block, and Babies R Us have ALL WITHDRAWN their ads from the radio station. Other sponsors like Spring and McDonalds have expressed their dissatisfaction with the station's actions and have withdrawn their support from the Morning Show segment only.

If you still haven't spoken up against the radio station and would like to, you can still contribute by either signing and spreading the petition @ http://www.petitiononline.com/endhate/petition.html

You can find alternative ways to contact the station's sponsors or the FCC @ http://www.hiphopmusic.com/

Peace,
Prizm
http://www.emceeprizm.com/

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
im glad people noticing the fucked up shit Hot 97 was doing

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm glad the sponsors pulled out, because yeah they must have loss lots of money on that, but I still think that everyone involved in that song should have been fired immediately.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Firing Idiots Doesint Make Sense Educating them Does , Better yet Postive Energy To help the Victims is a much better cause Then Negative Energy and Tryin to get People Fired if you ask me

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
im not. miss jones was all for it, she is berating miss info for not wanting to air it, and now she says she didnt want to either?

and this was AFTER she was bashing eminem's racist ways, praising benzino for "exposing" him, riding his jock like eveyr word he spoke was undeniable truth........ no impartiality whatsoever, she just rode for benzy and trash em all the while benzino was calling people crackers and uncle toms.

she deserves to be fired, and i think she should be fired.

however, mercy is for the strong. personally, i think that while the punishment should have been stiffer and everyone who was involved deserved to be fired, i also recognize that people do stupid things, even knowingly and willfully..... and that whether or not a person is truly remorseful is immaterial; giving somebody that second chance is always benificial, even if they stray again. everyone deserves a second chance and forgiveness...

PRIZM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i still think something more should have happened directly to miss jones, but this is definitely out of my hands now, and i was merely passing on all the facts and updates so those cats who were actively involved in making this incident known have an idea of what's happened...

peace,
prizm
http://www.emceeprizm.com/

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
good look..thanks for the update....im glad the peoples voice has been heard and I think even though miss jones needed to be fired, a lot was accomplished....several key players in the morning show were fired and they lost basically all of their sponsors for that show, and several large sponsors of the station....its good to see that things like these online petitions and public outcry actually do get something done....and look at the glass as being half full...at least there was a minimum of an extra million (plus 2 weeks salary of envy, miss jones etc) donated to the relief effort...