Response to Racism: Petition against Hot 97's Broadcast

PRIZM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i took 30 mins to write something up coz i think this shit is far beyond serious. take a minute to sign the online petition, and send the link to EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

i'm currently writing a letter to all the corporations that sponsor the radio station. if these hosts aren't fired in a week, i will send the letter detailing the radio station's activities. until then, we need to get as many signatures as possible...

http://www.petitiononline.com/endhate/petition.html

To: Hot 97 Radio Station in NYC

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
On January 21st, 2005, an offensive song/skit containing openly derogatory and racist overtones reached millions of listeners in New York City when it was broadcast on Hot 97's "Miss Jones in the Morning" radio show. While the radio show has a history of recording and playing such spoofs on a regular basis, the infamous "Tsunami Song" mocks not only the victims of the unfortunate recent natural disaster in Southeast Asia, but also all members of the Asian race in general with the racial slurs "chink" and "Chinamen."

Choice lyrics included:
- "All at once you could hear the screaming ch*nks and no one was safe from the wave there were africans drowning, little chinamen swept away you could hear god laughing, 'swim you b*tches swim'"
- "So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami, you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy, I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head, and now the children will be sold to child slavery..."

Just prior to the broadcasting of this inflammatory and extremely distasteful audio, the airwaves erupted into hostility when the popular morning show's hosts argued about playing the "Tsunami Song." The on-air quarrel started when Miss Info openly voiced that she had no involvement with either the production or publication of the song, as she personally found the views expressed in the song offensive. The show's other two co-hosts Miss Jones and Todd Lynn then launched into an abusive tirade against Miss Info for her lack of co-operation. At one point, Todd Lynn stated that he was going to start shooting Asians while Miss Jones told Info she's only complaining because "you feel superior, probably because you're Asian."

You can hear the audio for yourself at: http://www.thesilent1.com/longer_hot97_tsunami.mp3

If you wish to make a further comment, you can send an e-mail to the program director jdimick@hot97.emmis.com or you can write to WQHT, 395 Hudson Street, 7th Floor, New York, N.Y. 10014.

You can also contact some of Hot 97's sponsors here:

Sprint/Sprint PCS
Media Contact:
James Fisher, 202-585-1947
james.w.fisher@mail.sprint.com

Popeyes
http://popeyes.com/corp_comm.asp

Reebok
Reebok International Ltd.
PO Box 1060
Ronks, PA 17573

McDonald's
http://mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html

PETITION STATEMENT:
We ask that all Hot 97 employees actively involved with the production and broadcast of the ill-humoured "Tsunami Song" played on "Miss Jones in the Morning" on January 21st, 2005, be fired and blacklisted from working at the radio station permanently. In particular, Miss Jones and co-host Todd Lynn were guilty of not only producing the audio, but voicing openly-racist attitudes unapologetically on the airwaves. They have not, to this point, even made a public apology on their own behalves. This kind of behaviour is simply intolerable, and Hot 97’s refusal to address the problem at hand will not come without serious consequences for the radio station as no corporation would support such an organization.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Hot 97's contacts are as follows:

HOT 97
395 Hudson St. 7th Fl.
New York, NY 10014

General Info
(212) 229.9797

General Fax
(212) 929.8559

Contest/Request Line
(800) 223.9797

HOT 97 E-mail
hot97@hot97.com Request Fax
(212) 924.4442

Hip Hop Symphony
(212) 367.1653

News Line
(212) 242.0706

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ok but WHO created the song? It seems like Hot97 has had too many problems with shit like this happening. Maybe they do these things to stir up some publicity? Either way it sucks and that's horrible!

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Signed it.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Tsunami Song said:
- "All at once you could hear the screaming ch*nks and no one was safe from the wave there were africans drowning, little chinamen swept away you could hear god laughing, 'swim you b*tches swim'"
- "So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami, you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy, I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head, and now the children will be sold to child slavery..."

Well I don't think it's that racist, isn't to show how fucked up that tragedy was?

also, what does "ch*nks" means?

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
Signed it.

Theres a LOT of things we can laugh at in our lives, BUT NOT A TRAGEDY.

I hate when the media take some bad news or a tragedy and make fun at it for Marketing purpose.

it is so not fair. Nobody made fun for the two towers. Why the tsunami....

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
They were basically trying to draw attention to themselves because that same week Star and Bucwild (the number one radio show in NYC before them) was coming back on the other rival station in NYC (Power 105.1). But that was fucked up because alot of muthafuckas died in that shit. THats like making a 9/11 joke song a month after it happened. They need to get fired, and being half chinese myself, i didnt find it funny. Dont get it twisted though, if you talkin bout chinks and its funny, i'll laugh. But when youre using words like that in an attempt to gain attention and its not even funny, then thats different. Their show was fucking wack even before this shit. THEY NEED TO GO!

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I definitely signed. 212,000 people died and this is their tribute? They are totally fucked up and not only should those involved be fired; the station should be boycotted. Please let someone sue the hell out of them.
ONE

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
iv always hated Hot97, i knew they were kinda strange in their ways. fuck them.

sAfE.

PRIZM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
like someone said, 200,000+ people died from this natural disaster. if the same shit struck the eastern seaboard of the US, i doubt these radio show hosts would've made this song.

thats what it comes down to, really. keep spreadin the word fellas, only the collective voice will be heard.

the petition represents a tiny part of what i'm tryin to do.. but if the two radio hosts in question are not fired over the next week, i will be sending the letters i have prepared to 8 of the corporations that actively sponsor the Hot97 station as well as the station's owner, Emmis Communications.

for those that don't know, hot 97 is New York City's largest-reaching radio station and is also the east coast's most popular hiphop station. these kind of bigots simply can't be allowed to work as radio show hosts. please sign the petition, and then send the link to everyone you know.

thanks.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Signed

I know for a fact America wouldn't stand any sort of jokes made about 9/11 now, let alone less than a month after it happened. How many people died all together in that tradgedy?? 5000 and change?? Both situations were terrible and there is no place for on-air jokes about them.

OVER 200,000 people died in this situation, and it's not something to be made fun of. Miss Jones just sounds so ignorant. Not only was she invoved in creating it and playing it, but she actually had the nerve to get pissed when the other chick didn't want to involve herself. Thats fucked up. She should be fired.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
I Signed

-Roy

PRIZM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
jus to update y'all, this is still below the national radar in terms of major news outlets reporting this. but shit is too important to go unnoticed. everyone should do their part, strength in the collective voice y'all..

keep spreadin the word, this needs to get out there. look for "letters to the editor" in various canadian newspapers over the next week... also got a hold of a few university radio station hosts to shed some light on the issue.

http://www.petitiononline.com/endhate/petition.html - do it. its been almost 24 hrs since i started the petition, and we're at 3236 signatures, aiming for 20,000 over the next six days.

bump

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I signed yesterday, man. I didn't hear the show, but I think from what you said about it something has to be done, its just completely irresponsible. As few people have already said, I'm sure there wouldn't have been any humourous remarks if this had happened in the US.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Qwerty said:
Well I don't think it's that racist, isn't to show how fucked up that tragedy was?

also, what does "ch*nks" means?

chinks my man is a derogatory word against asians. they say it because of our slanted eyes. its like a white man calling a black man nigger! now as for me i really dont care coz i could care less about what people say or what they believe in. but if you're gonna be cryin' foul when someone calls you a Nigger then at least have the decency to not do it to others. And yes that sh*t is racist.

members online