Reviews Review Of Ali Vegas "Rebirth Of A Prince"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
ALI VEGAS BEGAN HIS HIP HOP career in the late nineties as a fresh faced teenager from Jamaica, Queens. Often compared to Nas, Vegas was recognized as a young spitter. 3 years removed from his first deal with the Track Masters, (where he was once a label-mate with the now famous 50 cent) Vegas returns to the game with "Rebirth of a Prince" which is a follow up to his "Heir to the Throne" mixtape, which served as a break of silence from a young MC on the rise. "Rebirth of a Prince", hosted by Big Mike, is not your average mixtape. The regular mixtape formula of freestyles over industry beats and throwaway album tracks is not followed here, but is instead replaced with quality music and a flow made for the rewind button. 26 tracks deep (including about 8 tracks where either Big Mike or

Vegas decide to talk) Vegas doesn't enlist much help outside of his Council fam, who unlike other rapper crews, are actually talented themselves. Saigon makes an unexpected appearance on a standout track "Industry Takeover" but both are out shined by female newcomer and Council member Mekka Mills who is, simply put...nice. Vegas holds down the rest of the disc strongly and stands out from the beginning on a "Victory" track which burrows from Bill Conti's "Overture" from the Rocky II soundtrack. This track, reworked to the tune of a popular Bob James sample, is a re-introduction to an MC who at only 20 years old, has experienced the ups and downs of the music industry and refuses to quit.

This resilience is shown on the next track "The Edge" where Ali confidently states "I'm back to lock the state up / From the Tri / To the other 50 / Bottom line / Niggas ain't fuckin with me", he then goes on to predict success under any conditions with the lines "I will not be shelved / Get it straight / I do not wait / Fuck a record label / I got cake / I will do it myself". Vegas is most impressive on "Rumble" where he dances on a beautiful track and comes out swinging at the percussion with his words.

While Ali Vegas does possess great lyrical ability and incredible wordplay, he should try to expand his content beyond the slums of Guy R. Brewer Blvd and himself. Now signed to Tommy Mottolla's Casablanca label, Ali Vegas has gone from a young spitter to a developing artist. *This disc is also accompanied by a special DVD.