RIP GURU. Sad day for Hip Hop

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
"I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name likeness, events tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this. I had nothing to do with him in life for over 7 years and want nothing to do with him in death. Solar has my life story and is well informed on my family situation, as well as the real reason for separating from my ex-DJ."

That is in EXTREMELY bad taste and suspect as hell the more I read it.
That , to me, sounds more like Solar trying to protect his assets more than anything that a dying person would actually say, I mean If I was dying I think it would be forgiving time...

Anyway I loved the artist.

And that is a valid point LouBez

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If he felt another way about it his wife woukd clear it up...Your wife aint just gonna let someone shit on your legacy like that...think people...think

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Guru wrote the fuckin letter maaaaaaannnnnnn! Some of yall are in a fantasy world, and cant imagine a guy like guru being a dick in real life.

i met him twice in the past, he was cool peoples.

the point is, the timing. in other similar situations (dying declarations, deathbed wills, etc), there's no way to tell if it's legitimate without further info. if this was released sometime later or even in private and it was confirmed with an additional witness or two, including a lawyer then no problem.

it's tactless and until more info comes out about the letter and who was also present, it's suspect. the fact that it's getting attention and taking away from his death and celebration of his legacy is proof of why the release of the letter at the same time as the announcement of his death was fucked up.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Sad day in hip-hop...hopefully they're playing Gangstarr tracks in hip-hop stations across the world...

Guru as an artist wasn't much without Premo...Guru wouldn't be a "legend" if it wasn't for Premo...He had his great moments, but those were with Premo...

Sad that the letter was released still being bitter about the whole thing, seems as if Premo didn't lose any love towards Guru, but Guru was holding the grudge...

GURU wouldn't be a legend without Premier? Very wrong, sir. If he made the Jazzmatazz series alone, he would still be regarded in a high status because he was the first to really marry the two genres of hip hop and jazz and do it well. GURU could've toured forever overseas just off the Jazzmatazz brand alone.

If Premier "made" GURU, then why didn't Group Home, Jeru, Big Shug, (the list goes on) become legends?

Being that this is a producer's website, it should be agreed that even if you're a great beatmaker, you need the MC to bring those beats to life.
GURU and Premo both made each other and will always be linked because of Gangstarr.

As far as the letter goes, the real story behind the breakup hasn't been put out there so it's all speculation. Premier could've done some really foul stuff for all we know.

GURU wouldn't be a legend without Premier? Very wrong, sir. If he made the Jazzmatazz series alone, he would still be regarded in a high status because he was the first to really marry the two genres of hip hop and jazz and do it well. GURU could've toured forever overseas just off the Jazzmatazz brand alone.

If Premier "made" GURU, then why didn't Group Home, Jeru, Big Shug, (the list goes on) become legends?

Being that this is a producer's website, it should be agreed that even if you're a great beatmaker, you need the MC to bring those beats to life.
GURU and Premo both made each other and will always be linked because of Gangstarr.

As far as the letter goes, the real story behind the breakup hasn't been put out there so it's all speculation. Premier could've done some really foul stuff for all we know.

I have to agree with this.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I have to agree with this.

Yeah man, i remember being blown away by the Jazzmatazz album series when it first came out. It totally felt like something new and different. It was dope to be a part of the hiphop community at that time.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Daaaaaaamn, that sux...

That does sound like SOLAR wrote that , I didnt see Guru suckin solars dick like that when he was alive. Correct me if Im wrong.

This is more speculation than anything but its very factual...Back in 03/04 Premo left the group during the European GangStarr Tour. Guru got another DJ and continued the tour despite Premo leaving and returning to the US. Then the questions started...Guru was the first to say it was officially over, Premo kept saying "its not over until he says its over". So something happened between them and they either got a gag order or they just chose to keep things quiet. Either way, I've heard nothing but good things from Premo and nothing good from Guru.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Your wife aint just gonna let someone shit on your legacy like that...think people...think

You make assumptions about their standing 1... and 2 he JUST died. How do you find all the right people to contact, make the clear up (If its just that simple of a situation), funeral arangements, etc, all at the same time, and still so soon? "think"...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

I don't see GURU as being the legend as much as GANGSTARR being the legend and him being a part of it...I didn't really enjoy the jazzmatazz albums too much....

Guru was able to ride out a Premo beat better than those artists you mentioned..(BTW I think Big Shug is horrible).....his flow fit perfectly with his beats...not because of his lyrical ability...

As far as the jazzmatazz tour goes.....You know damn well he couldn't put on a show and not use ANY Gangstarr track...He would definitely have to put gangstarr tracks in his set, because that was where he was at his best...

Being that this is a producer's website..you of all people should know that this day and age you can be garbage as an MC and still be successful as long as the production is tight...Come on...You just have to SOUND GOOD on a record to be successful...not actually BE GOOD.

To say I'm wrong...well...I go by what I've heard and my opinion...and it is simply as that...you can disagree, of course...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You make assumptions about their standing 1... and 2 he JUST died. How do you find all the right people to contact, make the clear up (If its just that simple of a situation), funeral arangements, etc, all at the same time, and still so soon? "think"...

Its fairly easy bro, do you have a wife? All it takes is ONE simple phone call to the attorney...he is the one who writes all the statements any how...I'm not making any assumptions...Yall bois talking bout Solar wrote the letter himself and shit. Like I said...THINK, PEOPLE.

Its pretty common for members of a group to hate the fuck out of each other, no matter what friendly ass unicorn dancing on rainbows perception we might have of them. The music industry is fake...even the "REAL" hip hop side of it.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Its fairly easy bro, do you have a wife? All it takes is ONE simple phone call to the attorney...he is the one who writes all the statements any how...I'm not making any assumptions...Yall bois talking bout Solar wrote the letter himself and shit. Like I said...THINK, PEOPLE.

Its pretty common for members of a group to hate the fuck out of each other, no matter what friendly ass unicorn dancing on rainbows perception we might have of them. The music industry is fake...even the "REAL" hip hop side of it.

Sry fam, I think its too soon foreal foreal. Whether or not I have a "wife" doesnt matter. I should ask if you are family? close friend? its the same theory you're trying to prove. neither of us know.

Just because you have a "wife" doesnt mean yall love or even like each other. Think! you said it yourself the industry is fake, golddiggers are everywhere.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21

I disagree... and I think Guru would agree with you. Which why I think Gangstarr had a problem.

Group Home, Jeru, Big Shug and Guru would not exist without Primo.

Jazzmatazz would have never happened without the success Guru had from Gangstarr. And I don't think Guru's solo career was anywhere as close as to successful as his work with Primo as Gangstarr. And you can see that theme over and over again with the other acts he worked with that I just named off.

And this is why it is so clear to me why Gangstarr had a beef. It's not rocket science to me. You need an emcee to make your beat shine but an emcee is a pile of shit without a decent beat. Look at how many dope emcees get looked over because they don't have dope beats. Canibus. Chino XL. Rass Kass. Juice. Hell, you can be a super shitty emcee and blow up off a dope beat. Look at Soulja Boy. Group Home. Big Shug. Game.

Guru, Group Home and Jeru all had beefs with Primo at some point which is why they all split ways at some point. But without Primo, they had nowhere close to the same kind of success. Primo has said before in interviews that people he worked with did not appreciate what he did for them biting the hand that feeds them. Could be that Primo treated people like that and for good reason. I remember him saying in an interview in Remix magazine that a Producer has to pull the best performance out of the emcee he is working with. And sometimes that means asking them to do a verse over or something. And sometimes that can offend an emcee with an ego but you still have to do it because as a producer it is your job to make sure the song comes out as best as possible. Diddy said the same thing about working with LL once. Were LL got mad because Diddy asked him to redo something to fix it and LL got pissed that Diddy would have the audacity to suggest that LL, a legend, messed something up. I am speculating, but based on the fact that almost all the acts that Primo worked with excluding Shug, basically wanted to walk away from Primo after he put them on. Maybe they didn't like him having so much control over the creative process or something.

I agree.

It is all speculation. But one can't help but speculate because this is huge news in Hip Hop.

It happens over and over again with all these duos. EMPD. Little Brother. Pete Rock and CL Smooth. Kobe and Shaq. No one likes to be under appreciated or seen as second in command. Especially and emcee. Because in every emcee's head that I know, THEY ARE NUMBER 1. Imagine lacing an emcee with a dope beat and he blows up and then acts like you had nothing to do with it. Well I am sure it works both ways. If a producer blows up and acts like the emcee had nothing to do with it, I am sure that would make the emcee mad too. But with Primo I can see how he could look at it that way (if he did indeed have a ego too.) Look at how many emcees he laced. You can easily place Primo in the top 10 off all time if not top 5 as a producer. Primo had huge success away from Gangstarr. Look at how many people he laced with classics. Nas. Jay-Z. Biggie. Big L. Now Guru didn't shrivel up and disappear but he didn't drop anything as close to ass hot as he did with Primo.

When one side feels and acts more important than the other, people start developing animosity towards one another. It is why I avoid working with people.

With all that said, I think it is even a moot point to debate because no matter what Guru says or Primo does, they will be forever locked together in the history of Hip Hop as one of the greatest emcee/producer duo's to ever have done it.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Guru acknowledged he was an alcoholic for many years and him & Preemo had many physical fights .During the last years of the group, Preemo was literally rhyming as much as Guru on tour , because Guru was so drunk he got offbeat all the time.

Even Solar acknowledges the drinking problem, and claims (claimed) to have saved Guru.

members online