Ripping from tape in stereo?

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Easy all, just been having a go at sampling from tape and I can't get sound forge to record in stereo. I'm recording from the headphone output of the cassette player in to a phono to stereo adaptor and then finally in to the interface via stereo jack. Any suggestions? Nice one

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
LOLOLOL !! I hear ya ! Tape too! Awsome!
Im thinkin that because you are comming out of the headphone jack what you are getting is a mono wav of a stereo signal..
But why are you using a phono/stereo adapter comming out of the headphones..
What you should be doing is oldschooling it by running RCA plugs out of the back of the tape deck into a mixer THEN rca adapted into whatever doohickey you have to get it into soundforge..
Thats just me , but I understand that what once was a staple of doing hiphop(dj mixers) is now not neccessary (unless you want to do what you are tryin to do).

Additionally if someone else doesnt write somthing brilliant here, one thing you could do is assign a plugin effect that splits it into stereo, or copy and paste the mono wav and pan hard right and left..
Just a suggestion..

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Cheers Relic, nice suggestions, especially just splitting or panning the mono wav. The only reason I'm not running RCA plugs out the tape deck is 'cause it doesn't have the outputs, just headphones. Shoddy innit. But still, much apprechiated, if anyone else does want to write something brilliant be my guest

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Fuck yeah for cassettes, good shit.
Just get a y adapter from headphones to rca, plug it directly into your soundcard.
In the recording options of sound forge, there is probably an option to generate a mono or stereo file, make sure you choose stereo.
EZ

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Fuck yeah for cassettes, good shit.
Just get a y adapter from headphones to rca, plug it directly into your soundcard.
In the recording options of sound forge, there is probably an option to generate a mono or stereo file, make sure you choose stereo.
EZ

Yeah, that's exactly what I've done, I choose in soundforge to record in stereo but it just ends up on one side. It does play back in stereo (I've listened to each speaker on its own) but the wav is always mono. I couldn't plug RCA inputs directly in to the soundcard 'cause it only accepts 1/4" inputs so I had to use an adaptor. Wouldn't have thought it would make a difference though, eh?

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
That's odd.
I think one of your settings on your PC, it's taking the stereo signal and converting it to mono. Do you have another music software program you can record it into?

O

open mind

dont forget to also check your windows audio settings.check if recording sources are set right.

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks for all your input, but I just realised that it's not the fact it's tape that's the problem, I tried recording from vinyl and I'm getting the same problem. It's a new setup so I've not got to grips with it yet, but I can't seem to see any problems in the Windows settings. Maybe it's the connections? Bloody head-scratcher this one

That's odd.
I think one of your settings on your PC, it's taking the stereo signal and converting it to mono. Do you have another music software program you can record it into?

Yeah, I think you're right, but no I've not got another program to record in to at the moment. I'm gonna have a mess about and see what happens

Quick update (sorry for going on with myself). There are two inputs on the interface and when I plug the phono to stereo adaptor in one it records on the left and in the other it records on the right. Sound forge obviously thinks it needs to record from both inputs

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 152
dunno if this might help but check your panning on windows volume control, under recording options see if your line in is is to the left or something

or.... if there are two inputs on your interface and one is recording left and one right, then try putting a double phono lead in, one in each slot..?

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
OK, I found out what the problem is - I was using the wrong adaptor, instead of a double phono to stereo, I needed two phono to mono plugs, so one can go in each input. Simple but it's these little things you have to learn to get over the learning curve innit. Much respect to everyone who posted suggestions, peace