RODE M3 mic and USB mics

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
anyone heard of the rode m3 mic? it's a small diaphragm condenser mic. anyone use small diaphragm for vocal recordings?? it says its good for vocal recordings. it's kind of a budget mic tho. anyone would recommend it? i want the best bang for my buck basically. and its between that and the maudio nova. i think those r the two i looked at a while ago. 200 vs 100. i forgot which one was better and i couldnt find the sites i was on before so i was checking if you guys knew anything.

and for usb mics, someone said they're for kids. maybe because u don't need a power supply or pre amp and can plug straight into ur computer. but other than that hows the sound? because basically the usb can provide power, but would it be enough like a pre-amp? and what about the recording quality. i was interested in reviews or comments from people who had experience with usb mics. and don't compare some $50 usb mic to your $500 condenser mic and tell me how the usb is shit. THANKS. PEACE

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
45.gif

I have one of these, the "Snowball" USB condenser mic. 44.1 kHz/16 bit sampling. Omni/Cardioid. I have a shock mount for it, and a pop-filter. I've mic'd a guitar with it in the past and had decent results. Vocals aren't too bad. I mean, it is what it is: a cheap mic. It's better than those shitty 1/8 jack ones that come with computers sometimes. Vox definitely lack some warmth (i usually eq them a bit to try and put some of the warmth back, though I doubt this does much).

It's decent, I mean if you're not ultra-worried about having "radio quality" production, it'll do you just fine. You know, no matter how much you polish a turd, it'll never be anything but a turd.

you know, IMO, this thing is just a way for me to get my voice onto the computer in a timely manner. I can open up audacity and be recording in 2 seconds flat, I dont have to fuck with a mixer or any of that other shit (i'm poor). I can't really speak on comparing this to a "real" mic, because I've never owned one.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i own one of those snowballs, and i can attest that even the MXL 990 sounds better under every given circumstance. but like magna said, its good for getting that idea down fast when youve got it. i would encourage anyone rather than blowing money on a USB mic to save up to atleast 250-300 bucks to get something thatll sound prettier.

members online