Rolling Off EQ

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Say I have a kick drum... and I wanted to clear up any muddiness at 300Hz...

Do I begin a gradual slope at 300 hz or just cut at 300 HZ?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Roll off is a gradual slope...i don't know the range because my eq has a cut off setting that I just have to enable. Takes the guess work out of it. You definitely don't want to just chop it off at that point though. Key word being "roll off".....sounds gradual don't it? I think so.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Don't slope, then you'll be taking all of the low end frequencies out of the kick. Just get an eq with a q, dial in 300, cut it a few decibels, adjust the Q until you're happy with the result. Listen on a sub or some big speakers to hear what's going on down there, and A/B it against some professionally mastered commercial CD.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
^^^word

you only "roll off" at the extremes either the top end or the bottom

if ya wanna correct a specific frequency i.e 300hz, you gotta "notch" it at 300 <----haha fucking terminology!

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
exactly as ash and others said- never slope that high up if there's a specific problem you're hearing at 300hz. sloping is great for cleaning up 808's below 15-30hz or so, or really any drums for that matter around that range. but if you're just trying to clean up some drums, especially if the issue is as high as that, i really would be careful with sloping cause you'll lose a lot of the low end bang from the drums.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah any roll off in the bass section (isn't it called a high pass filter?) shouldn't really go up above 30hz. I'm no mixing mastermind here but I know this one. If you're trying to clean up muddyness whatever you do to the kick you could try the opposite to on the bass as well. This is only by a couple of db here so too much and it's garbage anyway. So at 300Hz if you lower the kick a few db then try in that same frequency raising your bass to see what's up. If it sounds like crap just don't do it but I was told that shit works.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
^^^

i disagree with that

basic samll shit hifi speakers, that come as standard with any sony or panasonic all roll of at about 80hz, if you got big amounts of bass below that it tends to boom and distort, i know this from practise. when i make a beat i hook up shit loads of diff speaker and test them on diff systems to test the bass response as i tend to make bass heavy beats, so me i tend to roll of at depending on the beat either 80 itself, 70 or 60, then always at 50 regardless, it seems to work for me at the mo, i know peeps can get sub bass out of small speakers, but as it stands i cant, but then i dont claim to be a mastering don, that is just pure experience talking

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^^

I hear that. I haven't been doing this long so I no doubt got alot of things wrong I need to work on fixing. I'll be giving this advice a try.

Peace.