rza jocks the new mv 8800, talks about workin wit dre and shitalks fruity loops

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
^^^ WOW....

I rock Reason too but hearing someone's opinion on hardware and software is always good. Especially if they own both. When I saw this clip I was thinking an MV8800 would be dope to have but like RZA said, it's a Benz. I ain't a Benz kinda cat. More like an EVO kinda kid. Small and powerful. So I agree.. I'll rock my laptop with Reason or Logic over most hardware setups anyday.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
"hearing someone's opinion on hardware and software is always good"

I agree but his point that software has more latency than hard is just not correct. You can get your software latency just as good if not better than hardware with the right audio card. Hardware has latency to.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I want to respond to this.. the latency is something that's so hard to get right.. it will always sound different and result in timing differences in comparison to something like an mpc..

I can say this, i first had an mpc, sold it, cus i thought i didn't need it.. and got an mpd.. then i started banging in my drums on a very fast system pentium core 2 duo 2 gigs RAM..

I had latency, and hated it.. I tried numerous things to fix it.. I tried messing with Cubase, FL, Live 6 ( which is my favourite ) .. and the timing just wasn't as solid..

I agree with you guys on the editing tip, this is all much faster and easier, but as far as midi timing can't nothing fuck with an mp! and that's coming from me..

So now, i sold my mpd, and got another 2kxl.. And just for the record, the mpc has NOOOOO latency!!!! absolutely.. none!! the timing is tight as fuck! You only get latency when you're running the MP back to your pc to fuck with vst's then you get the latency thing again..

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i had the 8000 for a minute but sold it for the mpc4k and haven't looked back. i agree with him on latency though. dreampolice i hear where you are coming from in some respects but i'd say 2 things-

first off you are incorrect about mpc's having internal latency. this is actually why roger lynn is considered a god of hardware- the mpc's internal sampler has well under 1ms latency and many argue we are talking about latency around .1ms with the mpc system. now this is slightly diff if we're talking about triggering external synths but for samples loaded into ram, mpc is right up there with the old atari's for rock solid timing and low latency. pc setups trying to get low latency are going to need to go the PCI/high end route which is funny as that will cost as much as a 4k, if not more, just for the system.

second, as someone else said latency settings are a bitch. i respect that you are an engineer as well as a producer but i'm not and have no desire to be. sure i learn my equipment well but when it comes time to make music, i do not want to be playing around with buffer settings and all of that, just to end up with 3ms latency which i wouldn't have on the mpc. i turn on my mpc and it works rock solid every time, right there for me to use alongside logic. i began on the software side of things and i could never even consider going back to reason or logic for drums.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
"NOOOOO latency!!!! absolutely."

Well thats not true, everything has latency. Also if you have a decent sound card with asio drivers you can do just as good as an MPC, and anything under 5 is really not detectable.

software latency is unstable becasue your computer has other apps /processes veying for RAM... MPC's and other decidated hardware will never have that issue casue the mpc os and memory are dedicated for production

Now im not hear to weigh in which is better if your a good producer you can make dope shit on anything but facts is facts..Software production may be easier as far as editing and features but becasue most people will be running these apps on windows machines with other apps veying for ram space there definalty will be a latency issue, no matter how fast or powerful ur pc gets this will still be around casue the apps get more powerful and memory hungry as welll...

this is an issue that dedicated hardware will never have...

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Fucked With It.. But There Is Nothing Like Fl Studio 6 To Me... Gimme A Midi.. Gimme My Fantom, Motif, And Triton Extreme And It's A Rap

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"software latency is unstable"

I dont know if I would say that, you do need to optimize your system for audio. If done properly it can be very predictable. That is one reason why I like macs better as the low latency audio driver is built in to the OS at the kernel level, with windows you have a wrapper (asio, wdm) I am not trying to start a hardware Vs software war either. And I will stand by my statement that you can get the same latency out of software that you can hardware. EVEN HARDWARE HAS LATENCY. look it up, its around 2-5ms for most devices. if you run audio to a compressor when it comes out the other side there is latency. Crap even an audio cable brings some latency to the system. I just have never seen a hardware device that would convince me to switch and I do have the budget and I am open to it. I also had 3 roland guys demo the MV8800 to me, and it was awesome but I would STILL pick reason or FL or pro tools over it.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
To each his own. I don't understand why you have to knock what the other man is using.

Just like buying an mpc or an mv-8000, if you research before buying software and a comp, it is very easy to get a setup that will have no latency issues.

Also, don't throw on a bunch of crap you don't need on your comp.

I have Cubase 4, FL Studio, Sampletank, and my drum kits. I don't even need an anti-virus or spyware software cause I don't go online at all with this computer.

I don't even put Ozone on there, I mix my beat export it and take it to my "family" computer where I have Ozone and master it.

I have no latency problems.

I know a lot of kats that have a ton of programs on their comp and files.... do heads store their entire album collection on their mpc???

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
To each his own. I don't understand why you have to knock what the other man is using.

Just like buying an mpc or an mv-8000, if you research before buying software and a comp, it is very easy to get a setup that will have no latency issues.

Also, don't throw on a bunch of crap you don't need on your comp.

I have Cubase 4, FL Studio, Sampletank, and my drum kits. I don't even need an anti-virus or spyware software cause I don't go online at all with this computer.

I don't even put Ozone on there, I mix my beat export it and take it to my "family" computer where I have Ozone and master it.

I have no latency problems.

I know a lot of kats that have a ton of programs on their comp and files.... do heads store their entire album collection on their mpc???

Nobody is knocking what the other man's using, im just stating facts...
yea you may have your box isoloated but its still running a OS with lots of different processes as well as countless other hidden exe's, your registerty is still getting clogged with OS calls... After a year or 2 your still gonna have to clean ur resgitry or reinstall the OS to keep the computer running smoothly.. Software will always have some latency (as well as other little bugs) issues becasue it is not dedicated, nobody is attacking it, its just the truth .....

Of course there are things to do to optimize it but alot of times people dont wanna do all that configuring just to make beats... Others dont have the resouces to be able to run an isloated box like you do.. lots of cats dont want to deal with that... now with that being said there are many benfits that software has that hardware dosent so im not being one sided but you gotta realise whats really going on.....

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Sure u can make good music, but with software, it's adjusting the daw to work with minimal latency...

Likemusic: do u use any midi devices to control cubase and fl? or do u just click it in with a mouse..

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nobody is knocking what the other man's using, im just stating facts...
yea you may have your box isoloated but its still running a OS with lots of different processes as well as countless other hidden exe's, your registerty is still getting clogged with OS calls... After a year or 2 your still gonna have to clean ur resgitry or reinstall the OS to keep the computer running smoothly.. Software will always have some latency (as well as other little bugs) issues becasue it is not dedicated, nobody is attacking it, its just the truth .....

Of course there are things to do to optimize it but alot of times people dont wanna do all that configuring just to make beats... Others dont have the resouces to be able to run an isloated box like you do.. lots of cats dont want to deal with that... now with that being said there are many benfits that software has that hardware dosent so im not being one sided but you gotta realise whats really going on.....

I wasn't accusing you of knocking anything. That was more rhetorical than anything else.

Get a system that suits your needs and works for you, that's the best advice any producer can have.

You are absolutely correct on everything you posted.

I clean my registry routinely, even on the computer I don't make beats on. So that's no big deal.

If you get a system with 2gb and it meets the minimum system requirements you will not "notice" any latency. There will always be latency on a computer (if you can't detect it, does it really exist so to speak?).

It won't effect your beatmaking.

You have to learn your equiptment. The same person that's doesn't take the time to maintain and optimize their computer will do the same with the mpc or mv-8000.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"OS with lots of different processes as well as countless other hidden exe's, your registerty is still getting clogged with OS calls... After a year or 2 your still gonna have to clean ur resgitry or reinstall the OS to keep the computer running smoothly."

I am also not knocking anyone! The MV8800 is great! Also I dont have any of those issues with my mac...

members online