Sample length in reason

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
I've been using Reason for years but I've never found a simple solution to this. When sampling with an MPC you can hit a pad and play back the sample and if you change it to the right mode the sample will only play as long as you hold the pad, as soon as you let go of the pad the sample stops. With my MPD connected to reason is there a way to get reason to stop play back of a sample when i release the pad? At the moment it just continues to play until the end of the sample.

A work around I've always used is to load samples into the NNXT and then have a number of them loaded with various different lengths spread across the pads but I'm wondering if there is an easier way and I just haven't figured it out!?

Or maybe I'll just have to wait for Reason 5!

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Select the sample then adjust the play mode. You are doing it the hard way :)

Be a little more descriptive on the method please. I think it will help describe the solution if new members join and have the same issue but not as much experience as us.

Thanks hommie.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Ah well to answer my own question for future reference....

In NN-XT load a sample, click on the smaple so it's highlighted and then underneath the main window (with the module expanded) there is a knob named 'Play Mode' change this to 'FW-SUS' and that solves the problem!

Big thanks to thedreampolice for pointing me in the right direction!

Adjust the ADSR(Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) so that the Decay is almost zero and the Release is almost zero, you should turn the Sustain all the way up. That way when you release the key the sample will stop playing, this works in NNXT and NN19. It doesnt work on the redrum as it doesnt have ADSR.

Just noticed Shonsteez said the same thing.
And for the record, I always wondered what fw-sus was all about. LMAO.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
and now you know and knowing is...

3770972018_c50c1364d4.jpg

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Just noticed Shonsteez said the same thing.
And for the record, I always wondered what fw-sus was all about. LMAO.
No worries dude, were both on the same tip. I think the fw-sus stands for Forward Sustain even though the manual doesn't say what the abbreviation is.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 210

hieroglif

Beatmaker
ill o.g.

I think if you are trying to use it as I do (pressing each pad plays assigned sample to the end even if you let go until you press another pad, and so on). In this case you should turn the Release all the way up, and then turn 'Note' down to 1 (to prevent notes overlapping).

Peace

I think if you are trying to use it as I do (pressing each pad plays assigned sample to the end even if you let go until you press another pad, and so on). In this case you should turn the Release all the way up, and then turn 'Note Polyphony' down to 1 (to prevent notes overlapping).

Peace

Fixed.

and now you know and knowing is...

3770972018_c50c1364d4.jpg

LMAO, true words indeed.

members online