Sample percussion

Phonetik

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I hear everyone talkin bout sampling drum snares and what not. how do yall do this if there alot of ither shit goin on in the background?
I work with an asr-x and need to know how to filter everything but the snare or whatever. Can anyone who has an asr or even an mpc guide me through this?
Thanks

ill o.g.
erkl said:
you gotta look for open breaks, that you can sample the drum hits without background shit going on

thats true.

There was a while where i tried just pickin up a record and make a kit off of it, take another record, make a kit off of it, etc. . But it dont really work out, cuz then you cant solo the drums, cuz theres alway an instrument.

I dont know anybody who can really filter out instruments without effectin the drums, cuz after too much filtering, the drums start to sound kinda fucked.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
look for open hits........... but thats been said already. you cant isolate the individual hit unless you have (highly unlikely) the master recording and a mxier...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yeah, basically i would have said just about tha same shit as everyone else....Butta, i suggest that if you have tha ability sample vinyl vs cd's for drums then do so....Theres somethin about vinyl that preserves this beautiful low end in tha kicks thats jus uncomparable to cd or anything else in my opinion.....

Also, what are u sampling on?....Only tha ASR i presume? - I use my computer and my primarey softwares are AUDACITY-a free editing prgm, real easy to use and straight foward, no bullshit, but good quality....and then after i cut my samples from that prgm, i BOUNCE to RECYCLE and tha REX tha shit outa all my samples and then invintory them into theyre own folders...ie. REX and WAV.....LAter i i drop that shit into Reason and im straight.

Sounds without conflicting noises or instruments are BEST....tho, dont discard tha idea of sampling drum hits that are SLIGHTY congested with other noises....Sometimes this can be a nice added flavor to yer samples....but keep it LIMITED.

STEEZ

members online