Sample usage...

C

Carpe Diem

Sup guys, just wondering where you guys sample from...

Im sorta fed up of sampling classical shit now, lookin for more jazzy or blues stuff...

Any things i should pay specific attention to?!?

Easy

Carpe

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Carpe Diem said:
Sup guys, just wondering where you guys sample from...

Im sorta fed up of sampling classical shit now, lookin for more jazzy or blues stuff...

Any things i should pay specific attention to?!?

Easy

Carpe

I thought being a security guard at Pep Boys HQ would suck. Lo and behold I stumbled upon the Edit Suite. This room is a small studio that happens to have a cabinet stacked with CDs from Omni Music. On these discs are up to 2 minute samples of everythg from classical, jazz, movie scores, ambience, everything. So I take some, load up samples i like at home, then take 'em back and get more. I know it's kinda wrong, but I always take em back...I just "borrow" tehm for the night. Does anyone think that this is wrong. A secret stash that I have online though is http://www.powerfx.com

I don't feel like explaining the details of this site but its so friggin easy and self-explanatory. Check it out! (you have to pay but its worth it)

Who else has been to this site? Has it worked for you?

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
try Bob james, johnny guitar watson, parlaiment funkadelic, astrud gilberto, jao gilberto, quincy jones, herbie hancock, sun ra, bootsy collins, roy ayers, ramsey lewis, tower of power, deodato, etc, etc, etc...... just to name a few.
I also pick up some records sometimes like my favorite lovesongs or some weird record of somebody I never heard of. there is always something usefull. (even if it's just a 0.5 sec sample)
just start digging in the crates of your parents, grandparents, used recordstore, etc. etc. etc.....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
sample anything, there isnt really a set genre in which hip hop producers sample from. (though people have their preferences i.e Kanye loves soul)

sAfE.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
From the depths of my ass crack where no living organism can exist.

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't sample any particular form of music or artist. The art of diggin' is just a scavenger hunt. The more that you dig, the better the samples you be exposed to. Most of all I try sampling just bits and pieces of sounds to make my own sounds. Those are the best samples to me.

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
diggin

Digging is truly an art form with little rules. Id say sample whatever the hell you want to. however take note of things like names of lables, producers, drummers, stuff like that. Build a knowledge base and some guide lines for what you buy and you find that your samples will start to sound in a preticular style.
As for me and finding breaks these are good years to follow:
Funk, Soul and R&B: 1968-1974
Jazz: 1968-1974
Rock and Pop: 1970-1979

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Never really tried that.

Aminimity said:
Digging is truly an art form with little rules. Id say sample whatever the hell you want to. however take note of things like names of lables, producers, drummers, stuff like that. Build a knowledge base and some guide lines for what you buy and you find that your samples will start to sound in a preticular style.
As for me and finding breaks these are good years to follow:
Funk, Soul and R&B: 1968-1974
Jazz: 1968-1974
Rock and Pop: 1970-1979

I will pay more attention to the producers and labels. I've heard of people doing that, but I still haven't picked on it yet. I guess this is one to grow on! Thanx!

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
eka said:
try Bob james, johnny guitar watson, parlaiment funkadelic, astrud gilberto, jao gilberto, quincy jones, herbie hancock, sun ra, bootsy collins, roy ayers, ramsey lewis, tower of power, deodato, etc, etc, etc...... just to name a few.
I also pick up some records sometimes like my favorite lovesongs or some weird record of somebody I never heard of. there is always something usefull. (even if it's just a 0.5 sec sample)
just start digging in the crates of your parents, grandparents, used recordstore, etc. etc. etc.....

Speakin' of Ramsey Lewis....I just heard one of his songs...did Dre sample from him..."today was a good day"?

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Almost any classic rock or soul/r&b from the 70's or 60's. Those cats used strictly instuments back then, so you can catch some tight samples if you know how to.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
There are no Rules to sampling...like someone else said....you need to find the spot...old record store, consignment etc....heres another idea.....listen to some classic rock radio or classic oldies radio station...quiet storm or soul oldies man.....this will be a good way for you to start finding things that just searching around online etc might not lead you...all of the names mention above are good...but keep some paper handy when you listen to some oldies stations becuz a lot of the DJ's that spin on them KNOW the good old classics and you will come up with a list that you already know caught your ear....you take your list and then go to the record store looking for the record you already know has your sample...boom....or you can just go and cop a bunch of old vinyl and spend a Saturday or whenever going thru them....

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea just dig through woteva you can its not like as a producer ive ever got too many good samples so im not gonna limit myself even further by syaing i only sample this or i only sample that !

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
juzblazwun said:
I don't sample any particular form of music or artist. The art of diggin' is just a scavenger hunt. The more that you dig, the better the samples you be exposed to. Most of all I try sampling just bits and pieces of sounds to make my own sounds. Those are the best samples to me.

That's it right there! Always be on the hunt

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
I like going to the record store to something that no one will ever sample like a one dollar record , if im feeling the cover then im copping it ...there really isnt any rules in sampling so just go out and have fun as time goes by you will build a nice library that you can go back to and sample shit you havent sampled yet.

spin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i like to dig into songs from other countries... less chance for someone to find my source ;)

members online