Sampler for live gigs- Advice needed!!!

Hi everyone,

Trust all of you are good. :)

I have the following issue.

Recently, I was asked a few times if I could help some local bands with playing samples on their concerts. Basically, they are rock bands who use electronic elements in their music. I also started my own band about two months ago and I also plan to incorporate those elements in our work.

I would like to ask what kind of sampler/gear would you recommend to use in such cases? So if anyone of you have even a remote experience with such things I would be really grateful for some pieces of advice.

Peace to all of you and see you on the upcoming Beat This! ;)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sup!

What will you be doing exactly with the samples? Is it to trigger samples or sample something they're playing on stage?

There's of course the MPC like the 500/1000 but maybe the Boss RC505 is what you need. This guy uses it all the time but it's for looping:

Sup!

What will you be doing exactly with the samples? Is it to trigger samples or sample something they're playing on stage?

There's of course the MPC like the 500/1000 but maybe the Boss RC505 is what you need. This guy uses it all the time but it's for looping:

Thank you for your reply. :)

The idea is to prepare electronic samples in a DAW and then trigger it while playing certain songs. For example if the band consists of two guitarist, a bassist and a drummer and they want to have some electronic textures in the background but none of them can actually play keyboard or do electronic stuff.

I was thinking about buying some AKAI with the keyboard like AKAI MAX 49 since it's not that expensive and seems to be very useful.

But yesterday I went to the concert of my friend's band and they use just a laptop to play samples. To me it's quite generic approach but it works for them. However, I would like to have a proper sampler on stage because if you use a laptop everything must be on time and if you want to improvise or play with the audience you would have to prepare a project for this that would give you some time to do it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Oh so you're going to use a laptop for sure? If so then there's tons of controllers like the Akai MPDs of course, or just a keyboard. I just figured a standalone unit like the old school MPC would be more reliable and less gear to have.

Oh so you're going to use a laptop for sure? If so then there's tons of controllers like the Akai MPDs of course, or just a keyboard. I just figured a standalone unit like the old school MPC would be more reliable and less gear to have.

I'm not 100 % sure about using a laptop. As I mentioned above it looks a little bit generic to me. What is the best choice when it comes to samplers like MPC according to you @Fade ? And for example if I bought MPC can I upload my samples there? I mean samples made by myself? I'm sorry if my questions are silly but I have never used standalone samplers that's why I'm asking. :D

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What is the best choice when it comes to samplers like MPC according to you @Fade ? And for example if I bought MPC can I upload my samples there?
Well the advantage of the old MPCs since it's standalone is you just sample into it. If you have an MPC 500 (and later models) you can transfer via USB but it's slow. So you can just record right into the MPC and then trim the sample if needed, then assign to the pads. You'll have 4 banks, 16 pads (the 500 is 12 pads).

If you decide on getting an old MPC let me know first, I'll let you know what to check for before buying.

Hi everyone,

Recently, I was asked a few times if I could help some local bands with playing samples on their concerts. Basically, they are rock bands who use electronic elements in their music. I also started my own band about two months ago and I also plan to incorporate those elements in our work.

I would like to ask what kind of sampler/gear would you recommend to use in such cases? So if anyone of you have even a remote experience with such things I would be really grateful for some pieces of advice.

Yo.
I been using this Yamaha PSR E423 for years now. Its a great entry level keyboard. Comes with hundreds of onboard sounds from real life instruments to drums, efx samples and synths, also has some decent effects (reverb, chorus, filter, phaser). Very easy for live on the fly performance. I think I payed like 50 bucks for it. It also has a usb plug if you wanna use it with you DAW. I would recomend something like that rather than just a midi controller for live performance because of its stand alone capabilities. Combine that with an Akai MPD 16 (also about 50 bucks) and your favorite DAW, you ll have more than enough content to put on a great show.

Good Luck!

DJWIDEBODY

Beatmaker
Hi everyone,

mpc live , a roland sp404 , a roland boss sp303,

members online