Sampling - Am I doing it wrong?

T

The Arkitekt

Do you know the name of the band/artist that you got the sample from on the first post of this thread?

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
samplin' is illlll, i try to stay away but sometime when the mood hits i'll give it a crack. on my myspace are two sample based beats Ay BC (Sample is Jackson 5, ABC....duh) is the obvious one, but the melody is so recognisable that i didnt even want to use any sections except the BC sample, but further into the track i found the breakdown and filtered the rolling bassline and it was a snap.

The other one for Marketing strategy(Sample is Kama'aina Trio - Lullabye) developed over time from a sample of an old tahitian band my mum used to listen to when i was growing up but the differences between the beat and the song are HHHUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE. When i sample ill look for bare moments which i can filter, at the mo im on logic and its cool coz you can seperate the L and R tracks, often you'll find that horns and strings are panned to the extreme so you can isolate them somewhat then bounce to mono to give you a nice clean sample, thats what i found with the snare on Ay BC.
i like to fuck with what i chop up so much thats it's almost unrecognisable, like pitching the sample a few octaves below normal, which gives alot of bare sounding beats more feeling and atmosphere or doing some severe eq cuts or sweeps to get the most out of whatever chop im dealing with.

members online