Sampling From Cd

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Can anyone kick some knowledge on sampling in general? If I wanna sample a piano or something else there's always other sounds on top such as percussion, bass etc. Now I know I gotta look for breaks but what else do i need to know about sampling.

Holla back

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Well, you really otta experiment for one...I learned 99% of what i do kno about sampling from trial and error and jus tinkering with shit.

And u dont have to dig for breaks in particular, even tho its nice when u find one for sure...See, this is tha first step:

What kinda track are u tryin to make right now?

Are u goin for a particular sound?...Let that be tha beginning of yer search if you need direction first.

Then after uve selected some of yer records, cd's whatever it is, that fit tha mold - go ahead and sit down with yer headphones and jus listen to them for a bit....

Sampling takes TIME! - Basically, u gotta have enough patience to sit through an entire record for even one dope sample, if yer really down to sample and reap tha benefits that follow....So if you dont have patience to dig, sampling may not be for u.

Sampling requires you to be very open to anything, and to try and simply absorb what yer hearing back into sort of a arrangement already....You should be able to sit there and once a certain part in tha record passes and u get that funny feeling like u missed somethin, thats when u go back and sample that shit....You kno that favorite part in a song that u like that u wish u could hear more throughout tha rest of tha song? - Well thats tha goods right there....

Theres a shit load of other stuff i could ramble on about, but i think ill leave it at that for now.

STEEZ

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well i havn't been sampling for long but when you sample you don't have to look for breaks unless your trying to sample drums and shit but if you got a lil string, piano etc. you want out of a old school song, or what ever most of the time when you put the song in a program like sound fourge or whatever you have and speed it up a lil (not like kanye though) it kind of lightens the percussion thats already there. But that doesn't always work you have to kind of put your own formula into it, and if you do layer your own percussion over the sample it has to follow that drum pattern that is already there or it will sound real how can i say......"shitty". but just sit there at what ever equipment you have and work at it till your fingers hurt and if you really want it will come holla at ya man cuz i aint no boy.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thank ya'll for the help. What I'm trying to do is sample some guitars, piano, not drums. I got these really nice strings on a chi-lite song but i got some drums and bass over them. And the loop is kinna long so there's not way i can cut it out clean without other sounds on it. But what I was wondering is how to tweak the signal in such a way that I get it as clean as possible. I use sound forge for that and probably should fuck around a lil bit more with that but if some one can gimme some tips and advice how to do that shit i'd appreciate it.
By the way if I am using mpc 1k to sequence the beat, I can't time stretch my sample. So if I got a sample thats say 80bpm and my main rhythm is 90bpm i gotta do the time stretching in sound forge right?
Holla back what techniques ya'll use for working with samples.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah this is a good idea but i cant play the piano very much. That's why i'd rather sample a complex melody rather than play it.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
If you got other bass sounds and drums in tha piano melody you want, yer basically fucked...When u say clean it up a bit, what do u mean exactly? - If you mean eliminate tha drums and bass...thats a no-no, but if you want to give yer sample more presence you can drop a EQ on it and scan tha sample till u find tha spot that should shine more.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
your can fuck with samples to a point, but you really gotta look for samples that you can just use straight up, all the time i see people asking how to take out other instruments... it aint gonna happen!
filters are to clean up, they aint magic

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Yes they're magic!

Do not insult my fetish!

A shitty sample is a shitty sample, either you like it shitty and screw it up till it suits ( but expect to "finetune" it to the orginal intent ) or you think the sounds suck and you delete it.

You gotta be selective, you cant keep crap forever.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
erkl said:
your can fuck with samples to a point, but you really gotta look for samples that you can just use straight up, all the time i see people asking how to take out other instruments... it aint gonna happen!
filters are to clean up, they aint magic

i AGREE WiTH THAT WHoLE STATEMENT.
BUT A CRAP SAMPLE iS A CRAP SAMPLE.
iVE SAMPLED oFF oF MP3'S BEFoRE.

PEoPLE

members online