Sampling from Vinyl VS Sampling Lossless Files?

Lord Lav

Beatmaker
Does anyone really find any difference between the 2 when it comes to sound quality? Obviously you wouldn't sample from lossy files like MP3 because the sound quality is diminished and compressed considerably, but is there really a difference between Vinyl and Lossless nowadays?

I've sampled from lossless and not seen any difference in quality of the sample even when you record your vinyl through a quality sound card. I'm just curious if there's any audio geeks that can confirm feeling towards it or educate me otherwise.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
It depends on the recording, i like old stuff so loseless versions are probably digitaly remastered from vinyl which can be good or bad. Sampling from vinyl is as good as the recording medium, s950 or high end converter capture different obviously. Either way get the job done and when sampling for a "banger" i'd assume you'd be less fussy about the audiophile quality of the sample, but when you layering on a rim track it might be a bit more critical... or you just want that vinyl sound :)

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
I sample straight off of youtube, records, cd's, mp3's, ANYTHING is open game, if the sample is that dope I will find a way to eq it if its over compressed or what have you, very rarely would I skip over something because of quality, but it has happened.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I sample straight off of youtube, records, cd's, mp3's, ANYTHING is open game, if the sample is that dope I will find a way to eq it if its over compressed or what have you, very rarely would I skip over something because of quality, but it has happened.

I had to read his post twice and english isnt my native language, but he's specificaly asking the difference between loseless audio format and recording from vinyl (mp3 is lossy).

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I think in the end of the day, with some audio editing and proper mixing, no one would notice or care. I prefer vinyl strictly because I like the sound and I enjoy going through records on the Technic, it just seems more natural than using a media player on a computer. That's just me though...

Lord Lav

Beatmaker
Thanks for your thoughts guys. The way I see it, is I'll still dig in the crates and find the rarities on vinyl and sample them, but music is so much more easily acquired nowadays especially through the MP3 and Lossless format. It saves time and often money getting the song you want to sample as a lossless file and sampling that. So with more well known easily acquired songs I will probably go the lossless route from now on.

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
...thus your reply doesnt have anything to do with what TS is talking about.
My point was that it doesn't matter where you are getting your samples, although vinyl is obviously the top choice for most, you can make almost anything sound good with the right amount of tweaking. But thanks for your input.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
My point was that it doesn't matter where you are getting your samples, although vinyl is obviously the top choice for most, you can make almost anything sound good with the right amount of tweaking.

Ah, here we go again, the famous "it doesnt matter"... If it didnt matter he wouldnt ask the question thus making your point invalid.

Im in no means to bitch at you but topics just have value when theyre ON topic.

But thanks for your input.

always welcome :)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I don't understand how you can sample vinyl and not hear a difference between that and lossless or whatever else. Vinyl has a distinct, thick sound, it's obvious. Sure, with the right tweaking you can make it sound cleaner, but then what's the point? I sample vinyl because it's what I enjoy the most plus it gives me the sound I want. I also sample other stuff too, like Medl4, everything is game.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
lol...illmuzik rule #2040 says that there are 2 correct answers for any 1 question...

Answer A = What the 'by the book' Pros do...

Answer B = What everybody else does...

Now lets have a cold beer curtiousy of Fade :cool:

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Ok....no more bickering... This is illmuzik, bastards.

I do prefer the sound of vinyl overall..... With that being said, my actual preference in sampling from either or is determined on my approach to the beat, if I wanted a cleaner sound, I'd go with lossless, but if I wanted it to sound gritty, I would go for the vinyl.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
find it by any means possible(save from drums, drums can only be vinal... huge difference with mp3's) and have the sample replayed by studio musician or by a buddy.

members online