Sampling is fucking hard

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
Serato Sample 2 is the best thing ever to come out regarding sampling, removing drums is a gamechanger, but the advice i would give is start by just finding nice 1-4 bar loops and chopping either 1/8 or 1/16 and stick with that. Then get a good drum loop and just play around with the chops while running the drums on a loop, youd be suprised how many beats are just a 2 bar loop chopped 1/8. Also timestretching to the incorrect bpm to give it a kind of half time/triplet feel can get some interesting results especially for boom bap type beats. For key get a simple piano and try and find the 7 notes that sound "right" in a single octave mid/high range is more distinguishable than bass notes, if not tone deaf it should be quite obvious. If using serato sample though it will actually tell you the key you are in

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Serato Sample 2 is the best thing ever to come out regarding sampling, removing drums is a gamechanger, but the advice i would give is start by just finding nice 1-4 bar loops and chopping either 1/8 or 1/16 and stick with that. Then get a good drum loop and just play around with the chops while running the drums on a loop, youd be suprised how many beats are just a 2 bar loop chopped 1/8. Also timestretching to the incorrect bpm to give it a kind of half time/triplet feel can get some interesting results especially for boom bap type beats. For key get a simple piano and try and find the 7 notes that sound "right" in a single octave mid/high range is more distinguishable than bass notes, if not tone deaf it should be quite obvious. If using serato sample though it will actually tell you the key you are in
I need to mess with Serato or RX. I keep reading comments like this while I keep OG chopping and EQ'ing.