Sampling Old Vinyl

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here comes another newbie question:

I know alot of you sample old records for the drum beats then chop them up on your computer then program them to a completely different beat. But i was wondering why don't you buy a cd from say banginbeats and then you already have all the drum sounds you need already compressed and sounding nice?

What are the advantages (apart from cost) of sampling old vinyl when its available to you on a cd?

E

Equality 7-2521

your right that samples CDs are good because the samples have already been through lots of processing.

BUT

when im sampling drums, I look for the drum to have its own special character. On old vynil you can find stuff you wouldnt find on a sample CD and someties the crackle can give a raw feel to the beat.

to each his own......i use both.....whatever it takes to get what i want

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There's a few reasons for me. One is, I'm usually broke so it's much easier to buy an old record for under $1 and go through it looking for samples. Two, it's fun going through the vinyl and plus you never know what else you'll come across!

But if you're strapped for time and have a few bucks to spend, then by all means, buy a sample drum kit because it makes life much easier sometimes.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
my reply:
sampling from old vinyl \ cds can be more rewarding because when you sample from these sources, you also listen to the music.
being a producer is great, but you have to be a collector first.
a good producer must know his craft \ his sounds.
if you want to make beats you have to dig and listen to the music you sample.
simple as that :thumb:

Y

young le

yeah, with a record you are getting an entire song. you might find a loop or vocals to use in a beat.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
i dont sample vinyl for the drums, im always lookin for a dope loop or some other sound...i use whatever drum sounds i have in fruityloops but i have tweaked those to my preference.

ill o.g.
Yea, me too.
I like the real old classical type stuff, that they'd be playing at an expensive restaraunt. Then I put a real hard drum kit that says hip-hop (not literally) on it. Then add extras from there.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
YEAH THERES THIS FRUITSTAND BY MY POPS CRIB AND THEY BE PLAYIN THIS COWBOY SPANISH MUSIC, I WANT THAT SHIT SO BAD.....LOL

voorheezMP

M.ilitia P.roductions
ill o.g.
I enjoy samplin' it's fun, just sit back lay needle on tha record and just listen. Plus it's a piece I don't want to let go. It's vintage. Sometimes CD's can just be to clean. I like that grit, even in R&B. My whole drum liberary I sampled from break beat records my Dj friends had. I was blessed.. When I started, I sample everything all I had was tha MP. A lot of people try to knock samplin' sayin' it not original and stuff. To me samplin' is art, it's one of tha elements that keeps it Hip Hop!!! You gotta have a ear for sh*t I guess you already know that...lol P.E.A.C.E.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Originally posted by voorheezMP
I enjoy samplin' it's fun, just sit back lay needle on tha record and just listen...
...When I started, I sample everything all I had was tha MP. A lot of people try to knock samplin' sayin' it not original and stuff. To me samplin' is art, it's one of tha elements that keeps it Hip Hop!!! You gotta have a ear for sh*t I guess you already know that...lol P.E.A.C.E.

THE CHOICE WORDS ABOVE HAVE BECOME MY OFFICAL ARGUMENT FOR THE SAMPLING V SYNTH DEBATE THAT ALWAYS OCCURS ON THIS SITE SO BEWARE CUZ US SAMPLER HAVE A NEW POSTERCHILD SPOKERSPERSON...AND HES GOT SOMETHING TO SAY.

TELL EM CiTY SENT YA!!!

voorheezMP

M.ilitia P.roductions
ill o.g.
Joe burnem, are U ?questionin'.....................................l o l

E

esaych

this may only be applicable to the cats with dj set ups: sampling a loop from vinyl, then bouncing and scratching the vinyl against the loop can result in unique patterns.

y'all stay up. sampling is an art.

fatsdowrong

"SNAPPIN' SKULZ"
ill o.g.
yo man yall cats took this sheat out of context, samplin drums from vinyl should be your only choice!!!!!!!!!!! how the fruck are you supposed to get knocked for samplin drums?????? they cant prove you stole the godamn drumz from em.. besides when you sample drums, whether they be soul, rock, jazz, or country and what not,you ultimately recreate that soul that was produced with tears and blood from a whole hearted love of music, you can really feel the difference of the music then and now! see now the music is made in my opinion for a quick way to turn some cash.....not for the love of music, not too many people j=have that gusto that im speakin of for music anymore they all tryin to get on cribs the quickest way poss......when you sample drums you filter the sheaaaaaat out of em...... what do you think your supposed to sample drumz and make them sound live? its just not poss. even from cd, the media you choose to sample from isnt live so in all reality you could never get that sound to come out a machine......trust me i make drum breaks and beats dedicated to drums or b-boy breakbeats way more than a beat with a full arsenal of music behind it, not that i dont make hot musical beats, its just that i choose to completely master the art of hip hop drumz before i concor the rest of the process.....dont be makin beats with some other producers drum disks and call them yours, THEY ARE NOT! untill you can master the art of sampling drums and making them right dont catch yourself calling anything yours, because like life without a soul you are nothing! the drums make or break a hip hop joint into a classic, without the drums you just have some sample dancing around in pretty circles....thats fruckin gay!!!!!!!! so save yourselves the heartake and go back to the lab and make some HOT DRUMS!!!!!!!! go listen to some jaydee or some primo or madlib or pete freckin rock son and get it right or dont get it at all........

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
.....I didnt understand anything you said are you pro sampling or against sampling? And you know if Guevara uses samples then I tell you what hes pretty good at it so why would you tell him to go back to the lab and learn how to do it right?:headscrat

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think Fatsdowrong is talking more about digging through a stack of records, to find unique drum sounds that only you have found. Then chopping, cutting, and eq'ing them up to your preference rather than just buying a set and having the same as every other hip-hop producer out there.

(i think)

fatsdowrong

"SNAPPIN' SKULZ"
ill o.g.
word!
i wasnt even speakin on guevara, that kats ill, at least he be samplin records.....
i am pro samplin all the way, anti-sounddisk!!!!! thats just bullsheat.....sample records and try to keep that monogamous, thats what hip hop is!!!!!! cool herc would slap you cats for foggin up the game with the programs and sound disks, thats like a sex scene in a movie with stunt doubles???????? what the fruck!!!!!! get it right!

elkito

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
SAMPLE CDS ARE WACK
ITS LIKE PAINTING BY NUMBERS...ITS A LOVLEY PICTURE BUT U DIDNT DRAW IT