Sampling Question

ill o.g.
I saw a few tutorials on using recycle with reason but none of them answered this question. I have a sample its 4 bars, I saved it as a rex file. When I try to open it in NN-XT it only opens as 1 group and 1 note that plays the entire sample. In all of the tutorials Ive seen when they open up the sample in the NN-XT the sample is mapped out into the slices that were made in recycle. Does anyone know whats going wrong here?

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
You use a chopping program i.e. Recycle or FL to chop up the beginings of each note. Then you play it on a keyboard in the order you want the notes to play in.. You need to watch some chopping videos to get the idea and methods people use.

Good luck!

ill o.g.
Yeah , see in the videos I watched they chop the sample up in recycle, save it as a rex file (I have reason 4 and it only lets me save as .rex2 I dont know if that could be the problem) then open it in the NN-XT and it looks like this

When I go through that same process it looks like this

So what Im trying to do is map the sample out across the keyzone so I can play the notes in the order I want. Does that make sense?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Yeah , see in the videos I watched they chop the sample up in recycle, save it as a rex file (I have reason 4 and it only lets me save as .rex2 I dont know if that could be the problem) then open it in the NN-XT and it looks like this

When I go through that same process it looks like this

So what Im trying to do is map the sample out across the keyzone so I can play the notes in the order I want.
Does that make sense?

Sir, in the first picture those are not rex samples. Those are "wav" samples! Notice the wav at the end of each sample?

There is a way to do what you're trying to do. I haven't got down with Reason like that in awhile so I can't explain it word for word. If I'm not mistaken I use to record my rex (i.e put to track or what ever u call it) then delete the Dr. Rex module and place the NN XT on that track. Then load the same exact sample into the NN XT , then you could map it and play the notes anyway you wanted them. I'm sure I've failed to mention everything but it went closely the way I said it.

I advise all you new Reason users to do more than video tutorials. You really need to cop some excellent books out there that give you a mountain of info like "Power Tools for Reason", I have the 3.0 version but I'm sure the 4.0 is out now. That book alone will show you many many hidden treasures in Reason. It will also get you up to speed faster than anything else out there. It also comes with a cd packed with software and demos.

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
here is the procedure critical....load your samp in recycle...chop it like you want (im assuming you know how to do that) save as rex file....create an XT...here is the important part....USE THE PATCH BROWSER TO LOAD THE REX FILE, ITS AT THE TOP PART OF THE MODULE. DONT USE THE SAMPLE BROWSER THATS IN THE PARAMETER DROP DOWN..thats solely for loading single wavs, aiff, and sound fonts. When you load the rex file XT will map it across your keyboard for you from C1 up the scale (left to right)...hope that helps

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I saw a few tutorials on using recycle with reason but none of them answered this question. I have a sample its 4 bars, I saved it as a rex file. When I try to open it in NN-XT it only opens as 1 group and 1 note that plays the entire sample. In all of the tutorials Ive seen when they open up the sample in the NN-XT the sample is mapped out into the slices that were made in recycle. Does anyone know whats going wrong here?

If you saved it as a rex file than it has to be opened on The DR Rex Loop Player

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
You can load Rex files into the NNXT.

i didnt even knoe u can do that.i thought the rex player is all u use with rex files on reason

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
^^^
Try it out man much more controlible in the NNXT. I dont even use the Dr.Rex anymore because of it.

yo whats the big differences between using Rex payer or NNXT wit rex files??..whats makes the nnxt better?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
yo whats the big differences between using Rex payer or NNXT wit rex files??..whats makes the nnxt better?

You can manipulate them in ways you just can't in Dr. Rex. Next to Ableton Live the NNXT is a beast.