Sampling via downloading old tracks.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Virtual diggin'.

Does anyone do this? I mean as in using ***** or whatever to download tracks and them chop em up etc...

Can someone recommend some good names to search?

Thanks.

sAfE.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
lol imo its one thing to do it via MP3 ok i'll do it now and then but at least do some research on who's good and what not otherwise it takes all the fun out of it ! the only downsides are you don't get as good a sound from MP3s and also if someone has told you a good name to check out chances are its been done to death !

D

Dave

Try signing yourself up for the free trial of napster, Its great for just browsing songs.

Only problem is the tracks you download are protected so ull have to download em again usin some less legal system before you can edit them.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
Yeah, I used to do this before I got my turntables ( I still do it from time to time). I suggest looking up certain styles or genre, maybe even look up certain years, it just depends on what your doing.

-Roy

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
iVE DoNE iT WHEN i AiNT HAVE No NEW ViNYL To SAMPLE, i GoT A FEW GoOD JOiNTS oFF MP3, DoNT SLEEP, MY ADViCE iS NoT To LoOK FoR SPECiFiC SoNGS, BUT FoR ARTisT CoLLECTiONS, iLL GivE A "SECRET" LoOK UP SoME ARTiST THAT HAVE BEEN SAMPLED ALREADY, MYBE YoUR FAVoRTiE BEAT WAS SAMPLED BY KANYE AND THE ARTiST iS STEViE WoNDER, LoOK UP STEViE WoNDER AND TAKE WHAT YoU CAN GET.i USE ***WiNMX*** To DoWNLoAD MY MUSiC.

AND A GoOD SiTE To GET SAMPLED ARTisT iNFoRMATiON iS WWW.THE-BREAKS.CoM THEY HAVE A DoPE DATABASE.

RELEASE;CoMiNG SoON

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
now some people may chew your ass for not using vinyl to sample but i totally feel u. i go to amazon.com and search for old CDs they have 30 second samples and if i like them i buy the cd or download it.

C

Carpe Diem

I go to the local library and dig thru the masses of cds they got...

Wanna start proper diggin tho!!!

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man, if you wanna be a slave to the herbs who upload their vinyl, that's none of my business. do ya damn thing cuzzo but you'll never get any rare shit or ill shit that nobodys heard for a while like a lot of the "good" sample-based producers do.

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
zone said:
man, if you wanna be a slave to the herbs who upload their vinyl, that's none of my business. do ya damn thing cuzzo but you'll never get any rare shit or ill shit that nobodys heard for a while like a lot of the "good" sample-based producers do.

cmon man lets be realistic here. yea so it might be 'cooler' in the standards of hip hop to sample vinyl or whatever you wanna say, but these days you can find just as much rare and crazy shit on a cd. i dont give a shit where my samples come from, if i want someone to know what i am sampling they will, if i dont, then you wont, period.

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
chewbux said:
cmon man lets be realistic here. yea so it might be 'cooler' in the standards of hip hop to sample vinyl or whatever you wanna say, but these days you can find just as much rare and crazy shit on a cd. i dont give a shit where my samples come from, if i want someone to know what i am sampling they will, if i dont, then you wont, period.

first of all, i made a beat w/ a bassline of me burping yesterday. i don't give a fuck either. im not some elitist "i am hiphop" digger spaz.

the guy asked about downloading "old stuff." i assume he meant the same 60s-80s shit that every other producer is sampling these days. the amount of "old stuff" on the net is miniscule. you'll find more & hotter shit in a crate for 25 cents at salvation army than you will on these bootleg mp3 networks. if you can afford a turntable, there are no superior alternatives to vinyl as far as im concerned. maybe in 15 years we'll all have CD turntables and sample babyface, but right now the only shit i want to sample is on wax.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
oh yeah, I'll do it. A lot! Yeah, you wont find some exclusive, unknown great sample, but hey, that can do the trick anyways... I really have to get to it! Sampling from vinyls...

somedays

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
ill sample from anything
i couldnt care less, very often i have no money to my name, and cant afford diggin, i have hundreds and hundreds of records that i always go through, but there aint a day at the computer when i aint downloadin music..

if u dont have money to buy records, or dont know what to buy.. download music and listen to it all to find what u like so when u do dig, u know what to look for

dont bother asking people what to download or sample from, u have to do the homework yourself and find what YOU like. it takes time

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
zone said:
first of all, i made a beat w/ a bassline of me burping yesterday. i don't give a fuck either. im not some elitist "i am hiphop" digger spaz.

the guy asked about downloading "old stuff." i assume he meant the same 60s-80s shit that every other producer is sampling these days. the amount of "old stuff" on the net is miniscule. you'll find more & hotter shit in a crate for 25 cents at salvation army than you will on these bootleg mp3 networks. if you can afford a turntable, there are no superior alternatives to vinyl as far as im concerned. maybe in 15 years we'll all have CD turntables and sample babyface, but right now the only shit i want to sample is on wax.

DoG NoBoDY ToLD HiM To Go START A MP3 REVoLUTiON.
iTS A FREE ALTERNATiVE To ViNYL.
THE LiSTENER CANT TELL.
MAKE GoOD MUSiC AND CHiLL.
NiGGAS AiNT GoTTA BE ASSHoLES ALL THE TiME.

RELEASE;

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
i always feel that mp3 sampling sounds better and is easier to sample than vinyl. sometimes vinyl skips or it has so much static u cant even hear the stuff ur sampling. only thing thats bad about it is that most of the time the songs on the program u download from ahve already been sampled.

M

MIKELABZ

zone said:

U SURE U WANT THAT FLYING AROUND THAT U MADE A TRACK WITH UR BURPING AS A BASSLINE? I'M SURE THE EXECS IN RECORD COMPANIES REALLY LOOK FOR THAT IN THEIR PRODUCERS. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY WANNA PRODUCE SWEET LITTLE SCHOOL GIRLS SINGING ABOUT BREAKING UP. NOTHING LIKE A GOOD BURP IN THE MIDDLE OF A LOVE SONG TO MAKE EVERYTHING PERFECT....

C

Carpe Diem

the-breaks is an amazing web site, suggest all you guys who aint used it get on it, sign up and visit the forum!!!

I think nows the time to ask Fade nicely....

Please can we have a digging forum?!? U got my PM with all my points, im sure everyone will want it, and loads more peep will come register...Please... If u want one, lets petition!!! List ya names below!!!

Carpe

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nuthing wrong with using mp3 i dont think the sound quality is an issue, the main problem is that when u search ur limited to finding tracks that people have made available.

so they might buy an album with 8 tracks and only uplaod 2 but the other 6 might be dope but if u only sample from mp3's u'll neva know.

so i would say use mp3's but also go out and dig urself cos then u'll find ur own tastes and that will help develop ur sound.

blak flame

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
erkl said:
i'll sample from anything
i couldnt care less, very often i have no money to my name, and cant afford diggin...

same thing here...i'll sample from whatever i have...i would prefer havin' a turntable and a whole bunch of vinyls but i don't right now

members online