Sampling Vinyl

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
My question is, how do you do it? I realize that you would need some sort of turntable (would a portable one work) and a sampler (MPC, ASR-10, somethin like that), but how do you connect them together. I found a whole lot of records and 45's at this garage sale and I wanna start sampling off of them. Somebody help me.

-Roy

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
Coo, thanx X.

-Roy

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Turntable rca outs to sampler *phono * rca ins.
....If u usin a computer then plug tt into a dj mixer or phono preamp 1st then plug the *line level* output of that into the *line level* rca or 1/4 inch ins on the sound card (usin rca F to 1/4 m adapters) .

Basicaly if what ever ur usin to sample has a built in phono preamp input plug the turntable directly into it. If it doesn't plug it into a dj mixer or phono preamp box then plug that into the line level input of the "sampler"

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yeah, I sample from records and its quite straight foward. All u have to do is like fantom said - like in my situation, i record to my computers soundcard....This is done by simply connecting tha RCAs from tha table to tha RCAs on my soundcard...If yer soundcard doesnt have none tho yer basically fucked computer wise. I use CoolEdit or Samplitude and arm tha program to record and then start my record and then right after i press record on tha computer...and thats it.

ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
...tha RCAs from tha table to tha RCAs on my soundcard...If yer soundcard doesnt have none tho yer basically fucked computer wise...

You know they make RCA -to- 1/8" cords.

You can get that shit at Radioshack.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
helix said:
You know they make RCA -to- 1/8" cords.

You can get that shit at Radioshack.

Yeah u can but u can't hook a turntable str8t to a sound card thru the 1/8 line input. Be cause no 1/8 line input I know of has a phono preamp. You can't just hook a turntable str8t to any rca input on a sound card neither. It has to be a phono rca input with a ground (which I'm guessin is what Deucemade has ). A few sound cards have that but its not standard.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
u can get a left right to single plug jack.... and thats how i do it...

my fairly sophisticated drawing may help...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 199

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
berserk said:
u can get a left right to single plug jack.... and thats how i do it...

my fairly sophisticated drawing may help...

Its already been expressed u can adapt a turntable rca wire to a 1/8 to be pluged into a 1/8 inch line input. But again I DON'T SUGGEST ANY 1 DO THAT. Unless your turntable has a built in PREAMP and its sendin a LINE LEVEL SIGNAL then u CANNOT HOOK IT UP THAT WAY. U cannot send a PHONO SIGNAL to a LINE LEVEL input a phono signal is BELOW LINE LEVEL. Berserk I hope that's not what ur doin. cause its wrong in nature period.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
haha why? it works fine for me... edit: just been speaking with DJ Fantom... Apparently this breaks your soundcard... sorry about that haha... i actually plug through my mixer... but i thought it wud be no different... so apologies...

ill o.g.
DJFANTOM said:
Yeah u can but u can't hook a turntable str8t to a sound card thru the 1/8 line input. Be cause no 1/8 line input I know of has a phono preamp. You can't just hook a turntable str8t to any rca input on a sound card neither. It has to be a phono rca input with a ground (which I'm guessin is what Deucemade has ). A few sound cards have that but its not standard.

Im not sure what he's got but i thought he was running it through a dj mixer. I know you gotta have a preamp. Whether its built-in to a mixer or its a standalone. Whateveer thogh

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
I have a rca to 1/8" Y cable. I can sample from radio, vinyl, tape, video, and cd. I have a stereo receiver easy setup!

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My whole point in this was that u need some kind of preamp to hook the turntable to 1st. Wether it be dj mixer, hifi,stand alone preamp etc...

It seems dat those of u who were sayin u hook ur turntable to ur sound card realy meant u hook it to a preamp then that to ur sound card. Even beserk even tho he drew a turntable goin str8t to a computer, he meant he hooks it to a dj mixer 1st. The thing is any newbie probably didn't know that when u guys say "I hook my turntable to my sound card" they don't knw u mean " my turntable and preamp (dj mixer or what ever)" . Even I didn't and I'm far from a newbie when it somes to hookin stuff up.

members online