Sampling

MORFEEUS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does anyone know how to sample by numbers. long before the days of seeing the wave files u had to sample by numbers....from what i have heard it is actually more precise...does anyone know how to do this and if so please share....thanks

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
sampling by numbers still require you to trigger the sample to hear the start, end and loop points of the sample... the wav file just gives you the abilty to get to the part u want much quicker... i useta use the Roland MKS100 and also the Akai S950, which i still have... wasnt that hard... just using your ears more... the 950 gave u different intervals... 1, 10, 100, 1000, etc... u rotate the scrub wheel while triggering the sample, til u got the result u wanted... still just as fast.

da relic

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Does anyone know how to sample by numbers. long before the days of seeing the wave files u had to sample by numbers....from what i have heard it is actually more precise...does anyone know how to do this and if so please share....thanks

Nothing is more precise than seeing the actual zero plane of the wave form for your start and end points. "Seeing is believing", whoever told you diff't has been misinformed! Hearing may work if you want to go that route but it's definitely not more accurate. No way you can "hear" where a pop will be but if you don't adjust to the zero plane of the wave form "visually" I guarantee you'll hear it.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i dunno... i can hear pops and other nonsense when im editing a sample... if its not a loop, a sample doesnt hafta be perfectly edited, and usually other sounds in a mix will mask any flaws... but the question i must ask is, what are u using to sample that just uses a wav file or graph? my RS7000 gives my the graph AND the numbers.

da relic

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Yes, but you can't hear something before you actually "hear it"! If you adjust to the zero plane you don't have to hear it. There's nothing to hear at zero. Takes the guess work out. It all depends on your style of sampling. If you like things precise and clean go visual first and hearing second to make sure. If little flaws don't matter to you do it by ear. The question was which is more precise and there's no doubt that seeing is more precise.

Up to date sampling tools give you the waveform and transients, nothing out there is more precise than that! Ableton had it first and now even Logic is using transients.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 215
I do stupid shit like take the tempo (whatever it may be) and divide it into 4 (because of the 4 count) ...then I might divide THOSE numbers into 4...these are the numbers I set to velocities, attacks, sample starts, etc....most of the times it gives me the sense of some type of mathmatical accuracy...LDB is right though..starting from the zero point is key...I do this by maximizing the size of the sample in Cool Edit...cutting out intro silence (the silent area before you hear any sound or music)...where sound starts...that my zero point...I start choppin on a 4 count from there.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I do stupid shit like take the tempo (whatever it may be) and divide it into 4 (because of the 4 count) ...then I might divide THOSE numbers into 4...these are the numbers I set to velocities, attacks, sample starts, etc....most of the times it gives me the sense of some type of mathmatical accuracy...LDB is right though..starting from the zero point is key...I do this by maximizing the size of the sample in Cool Edit...cutting out intro silence (the silent area before you hear any sound or music)...where sound starts...that my zero point...I start choppin on a 4 count from there.

Yep! A zero point is a zero point no matter where in the waveform

Sampling by numbers, using mathematical timing isnt any good for sampling live music, with human swing.
The precise timing would be off from the not precise sample.
Using the eyes and ears is the best way to sample in my opinion.

If you adjust to the zero plane you don't have to hear it. There's nothing to hear at zero. Takes the guess work out.

Unless you adjust to the zero plane you will get little clicks and pops.
ALWAYS use the zero point. Chopping as close to the start of the non zero point as possible.

members online