Sampling

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
I know most rap and rnb music is made with samples, but dont you think its time hip hop producers start makin their own music. Sampling is cool and you can defintitely make something your own but i've noticed that a lot of the beats that are winning or at least doing well in Beat This and Battle That competitions are just plain ripped off of old songs. Using someone else's drum hits or something, i can understand, but when you're using pretty much their whole song? C'mon.

C

cley

Yeah I sometimes wonder about this myself. I'm down with sampling and everything, but sometimes it seems kind of out of control. I'm not speaking of any song in particular, but more of just the topic as a whole.

What does everyone think of sample cd's? I have the e-lab smoker's delight pack and it's wicked for things like one hits and drum kits and the like, but it also has alot of preloaded grooves and stuff. Lots of horn licks and guitar rifs too, and sometimes it strikes me as a little easy.

It's all good though, as long as it's used with creativity.

E

Equality 7-2521

sammy was my beat one of the beats you were refering too?

id like to know if it is...

Decibal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think its all about style. Everyone has their own style and if it includes sampling, so be it. Hip Hop will always have sampling, thats just the way it is. Shit, look at Kanye Wests' joints. They are sick as shit with tuns of vocal samples tweaked to hell. I tend to not use samples a whole lot, but that is just "my" style.

Peace

dB

beats18

ill o.g.
sampling is dying. If I sample I only sample things that no one would know I sampled. Or i chop up a sample (e.g guitar lead) and rearrange it to make it my own. But I agree, anyone can sample and make a beat, but a true producer will create all his own parts.

C

CooGi_dice

there is no problem with sampling when it is done creativly, but thats up to the idividual...

and if you reley only on sampling that is kinda corny, but to each his own...
the final product is what realy matters though, good music is good music.

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Originally posted by Mr. Messenger
sammy was my beat one of the beats you were refering too?

id like to know if it is...
I'm not sure what beat you're talkin about but basically, I'm talkin about beats where I can clearly identify the source. I'm not tryin to bash people that do use identifiable samples, I just want everybody's take.

E

Equality 7-2521

well i try to make it unidentifyable.

and i think those who dont make the effort and on a wack tip

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you just sample a loop and leave it at that, add dums and its done then i agree but when you chop and flip it on some other ish the process to me is way more complicated than making a keyboard beat, plus not every producer in hip hop knows how to play keys to make they own melodies. some people cant flip samples so they hate and some people cant play keys so they flip samples.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
alright, look, your all new here so i'll cut you some slack.

BUT....

this topic has been beat to death already, countless times. i am going to merge this with another, older thread....... if i can find it!

the bottom line? you are wrong, wrong, wrong to say that a "true producer will create all his own parts" - that is a slap in the face to all the great, proven producers out here who do sample. to put limitations on something and say "if its done this way, then thats ok, but not this way..." is like saying "thats wack BECAUSE its not how i do it".

i get a lil irritated when i find a kanye west sample and its basically the same exact sample just sped up with drums- but then i have a hard time matching up drums on time with a lot of samples of the same style. its not like its that easy......

this whole debate of wether or not hip hop should be sampling, wether or not it is "theirs" or not, or "stealing" is ludicrous, because there are no limitations to how music should be made. who are we to decide how it should be made by someone else? i can only say what i prefer to do.
if you prefer to do keys, all power to you. if you prefer to loop samples and throw drums on top, hey if the end product is solid, by all means do it. the end result is all that matters. countless classics have been created by ressurecting dusty old 45's and adding a dose of drums to it... hip hop music would not be here were it not for this. plain and simple.

do what you do. if its live instrumentation, a guitar and an mpc, a triton, if its two turntables and an asr, whatever you can use to make hip hop thats what you use. we can debate this ALL DAY- we already have many times- and at the end, thats what it comes down to: you or i are nobody to determine how someone else chooses to make hip hop- we can only choose what we can do for ourselves.

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it irritates me when i hear allot of you producers on this site and on other sites bashing those who sample, then i listen to your none sampled joints and i can tell you there not easy to listen to.

i cant recall any hiphop producer ever stating that he's a composer, even pete rock himself said it wasnt that much work, but it still has allot of feeling put into it.
sampled hiphop is way more hiphop then non sampled hiphop, you cant reproduce a sample

members online