Samson G-Track USB Condenser Mic

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTrackUSB/

I just ordered this, im hopin its straight for vocals...all the reviews i read were good..
It says it has a built in Pre-Amp interface so i dont think i need a mixer?? does ne1 know if i needa pop filter or would a bandana work lol? i dont kno shit about mics so let me kno Thanks
-ayr0n

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
youre gonna want to upgrade this right away if you're serious about recording vocals. USB only allows a certain amount of data to transfer at a time at certain speeds, so the connection will drop bits of data that it thinks it doesn't need or can't handle (which degrades the quality of your recording). So basically there's a hardware cap on how good of a vocal recording you're going to get. it's not overly noticeable but if you're a perfectionist like many of us are, it's gonna kill you.

Get a pop filter...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTrackUSB/

I just ordered this, im hopin its straight for vocals...all the reviews i read were good..
It says it has a built in Pre-Amp interface so i dont think i need a mixer?? does ne1 know if i needa pop filter or would a bandana work lol? i dont kno shit about mics so let me kno Thanks
-ayr0n

NEVER GO BY THE ONSIGHT REVIEWS! I personally wouldn't rock anything usb when it comes to vocals unless you're hosting an internet radio show or something. Sometimes it's better to save up your money to get what you need to get the job done rather than to get something that you'll eventually upgrade from that will end up in the junk box! I may buy something for one thing but if it has no future upgrade potential in it I usually leave it be and keep saving to get what will work without a doubt.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
shit ill just buy a different one when im rdy to actually lay some tracks down..i just wanted somethin 2 work w/ better than this Dynamic mic i got. i didnt have the cash to get an external power supply thts why i went w/ usb, guess that was a fuckup, but its all good ill cop somethin else n a few months

2infamouz

ill o.g.
does ne1 know where i can get a cheap phantom power supply?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
shit ill just buy a different one when im rdy to actually lay some tracks down..i just wanted somethin 2 work w/ better than this Dynamic mic i got. i didnt have the cash to get an external power supply thts why i went w/ usb, guess that was a fuckup, but its all good ill cop somethin else n a few months

there are great dynamic mics out there. I just sent skid a STEDMAN n90 that need no power and gets the job done. I have a Shure SM 58 (dynamic) that you can drop vocals with. USB is not what you need but u can find a good dynamic on your budget or with just a little more money!

2infamouz

ill o.g.
The mic i got is a Shure PG58, bought it from the local music store here...but i never invested in a mixer, so i have it going through a cable thats actually for recording guitars Lmao...was the only way 2 hook it up to my computer, maybe thts why my vocals r so HIT. guess i shoulda jus got a mixer instead of a new mic

Doc Vigilanti

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What are you using for your interface?

Are you using your stock sound card that came with your computer? If you are, don't worry about a mic right now, get a audio interface from M-audio, Presonus, ECHO, etc. check them out some of them come with decent Pre's and phantom power.

Then once you get that, Then get a decent a mic.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
nah i bought a pretty good sound card if thts what u mean...first day i got this computer i bought the best video/sound cards my computer could run w/ the power supply i have. i was thinkin bout upgradin my power supply so i could get a better sound card but im pretty br0-ke right now

2infamouz

ill o.g.
so its impossible to get good sound quality w/ a computer sound card? Didnt kno u needed an external interface, i thought u just had 2 eq the vocals right in the software ur recording w/...im ignorant in the technical field gonna have 2 read up on some of this stuff

Doc Vigilanti

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's not that it is impossible, but for the amount of time effort and headaches you would spend tweaking everything it would be easier to just get an external interface, plus you get Preamps, and depending on which one you get phantom power, which means you could get this Mic and you would have a lot better baseline to work with.

What software are you using?

2infamouz

ill o.g.
I use FL/Reason to make beats, but im recordin w/ an old version of Adobe Audition or w.e back when it was Cool Edit Pro

Doc Vigilanti

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cool, just get an external Audio Interface, it doesn't have to be the one I listed but get one with preamps and phantom power and it will help you out tremendously. Now I'm not saying you are going to get million dollar studio quality recordings, but you will be able to do really decent productions.

I understand the financial situation though. Just save up and get a decent interface and mic and you will be good to go. Then just spend your time reading up on how to record and techniques and how to use your gear. Then you'll be good to go. Then as you get a better and learn more you'll know what you need to buy next to step it up to the next level.

Just stick with it though, you'll get it.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
thanks a lot man, I wish i would of posted somethin before i bought that mic Lol..shoulda got opinions Then made a decision, kinda did it backwards? >D But ya u definately helped doc, ima work on gettin tht interface

Doc Vigilanti

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just send the mic back and don't open it. Unless you plan on doing Podcasts there really isn't any reason for you to have the mic honestly, not for what you are trying to do at least.

Also another tip just listening to the beats you have posted in the battles, don't record your VOX so hot, make sure you are peaking at around -6db, preferably lower like around -9dbfs. If your Vox are clipping when you record there really isn't anyway to recover from that. Because Remember you can always turn down the instruments in the track to mix it.

Also learn a lot about digital recording and how it works, it will help you out tremendously. I'm working on my demo right now and when I get it finished I'll post it up here on Ill and get some feedback. Also remember nobody knows everything there is to know about this recording stuff it is a life long learning experience. So After I get my demo finished I'll be interested on what suggestions and criticisms I will get to even improve myself.

Oh yea, No problem for the info man, I wish I wouldn't have been such a hard head when I was younger I've wasted a lot of money on stuff that I had no use for.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
this mics actually way cleaner than my other 1, im just usin a bandana 4 now prolly buy a pop filter when i order a diff mic. sounds good w.o vocal compression, n sounds really good w/ it. im not a pro on recording but this usb mic beats the sht outa the dynamic 1 i was using. thats 4 S"h"ure

not gonna consider it a "loss" cuz 150 bucks aint shit anyways...just another step forward, but ima def get somethin else. Woulda went w/ doc's advice n sent it back but i opened it up to cop the soundbanks from cakewalk lol FUuuck it

members online