Interviews Samuelock

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
samuelock1.jpg

Even though he looks like Sing's friend in Kung Fu Hustle, Samuel Ock takes the time to tell us about his Beat This! win, naming his kids and God. Read on....

Sup Samuelock, what's poppin?

Hello, Mr. Fade. Not much is really popping. Well, finals are popping... which I'm quite worried about. School ends in less than ten days, and I currently have sophomore-itis (is there such a thing?!). Well, I'm too lazy to study and do homework and all that other crap. It's funny how I have like three projects and finals are next week. Kinda scary. You see, I'm not that great of a student. I do my homework, but procrastination is not a stranger to me. You'll usually see me up late at night, not doing homework, waiting until that last possible minute. I actually might be procrastinating right now, currently 10:50.

Your real name is Samuel Ock? What are you, Korean?

Yes, my real name is Samuel Ock. Yes, I'm Korean. It's kind of weird having the last name "Ock," because no one else has it. My family seems to be the only actual "Ock" spelled that way, and pronounced like 'rock.' There are some interesting things that have to do with my last name. For example, my nickname is Sock. S. Ock. Sam Ock. Get it? Also, I am limited as to what I can name my child. I can't name him Mike (Mike Ock). Or Chris, or Fred.

LOL Mike would be dope! What's it like being a 15 year old beatmaker?

What's it like? Well, I take beat making quite seriously. Though it's not a good thing at all, I neglect studying many times, and spend my days making beats. It literally takes me hours to make a single beat. It's good that I'm starting off earlier in life, but sucks 'cause I don't really have any personal income. I guess that's a good thing, too, because my parents handle many things financially. I like being young, and being fifteen, almost sixteen in like twenty-some days, school and life really influences my sound.

samuelock2.jpg

When did you first start in the production game?

It must've been last, last fall-ish. I was I think, fourteen, then, and my beats SUCKED. HOLY FREAKIN CRAP I WANT TO KILL MYSELF. Well, not really, I actually thought I wasn't half bad. I had the worst beat-making method. At that time, I had the FL Studio 4 (I think?) demo version, so I couldn't save anything. I made a loop I liked, and exported the loop into a WAV file, then I copied and pasted into AUDACITY. That's right, audacity. I don't really think it's a bad program. I still use it today.

What convinced you that producing is what you wanted to do?

Hmmm. Well, I've played music all my life, took piano lessons, played at church, that whole Korean-boy-who's-part-of-a-musical-family-thing. Thank God for that. If it weren't for my mom forcing me to practice, or my parents forcing my family to sing songs together (four part harmony) at church event, I would've never gotten into music. I actually didn't start liking hip-hop until seventh grade. I didn't know what hip-hop was. I don't know what happened, but the first song I heard was probably "Lose Yourself" by Mr. Eminem, and it was like love at first hearing. I was hooked. I started listen to rap, and I first liked the stupid, 'gangsta' stuff, that was pretty darn stupid, and I grew into better artists. I guess one day, I was like, "Hey, I should make beats." And poof! Here I am.

Do you MC too?

I try to. I find making up lyrics is quite challenging. And also having that flow. I'm currently trying to improve it, so I can do my own Kanye-type thing. I also hate how when you rap, that spit builds up in your mouth. How do rappers do it?! Do you know what I mean?

Yes I do, I guess that's why they say "spittin verses". Tell us what kind of setup you have.

• Presonus Firebox
  • Yamaha SO3 Synthesizer(Mostly for MIDI)
  • FL Studio 6 (with/ a RACKLOAD of VST's)
  • MXL 990 Condenser Microphone
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Headphones
So how did it feel winning the Beat This! Competition?

First a WOO! Then an AWESOME! Then WOW! Then WHAT THE HECK?! It was quite weird. I was half-expecting it, not to be cocky, but I worked hard on that beat! I think it was the first of its kind in my repertoire. That beat kinda reflects my developing style right now. I can't seem to use anything but piano and strings, and occasional organ, which kinda sucks. I really wasn't being cocky, though. I just compete to win, you know, especially at things that I'm not half bad at. It sure was a surprise, though, 'cause some people came with some heat, like Orpheus, P_Gyal, and others.

That's a really smooth beat, is that your usual style?

I don't really have a style yet. It's ever developing. I think my style currently is 'compositions which sound a lot like samples' 'cause people always ask me, "Is that a sample??" No, my friend, it's not. I like smooth piano. It makes you think. Makes you look back on times and reflect on what you did and what you're going to do. My style used to be strings a whole lot, then drum breaks, then I don't know what, then this.

What do you find harder to do - compete WITH a theme? Or WITHOUT a theme?

It's definitely harder to compete without a theme. There's so much that people can bring to the table. The hottest beats they've ever made. The competition is even tougher there. When there's a theme, people have limits, and have to push them to get the best outcome possible. I like competing with themes, though. I get to get creative. Like the Alchemist said, "If you were stuck on an island with just one record, you'd find a million was to flip it and tricks that no one ever thought of." It's the same with a contest theme. And equipment. I'm happy that I have the setup I have. If I had a full blown studio, I'd probably have some not-so-good stuff. Check Big Mo for example! That Reason head hater heh.

How did you find IllMuzik?

The link was in my friend Nathan's/Seoul P's Soundclick I clicked it, and signed-up because I thought it'd be nice for people to review my beats, but then I found out that it was SO much more. I love you Ill FAM!!!

Who/What is your biggest musical influence?

My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who's never let go, never changed His love, and died on the cross for ME. Measly me. I mean, what greater gift is there, than sending your one and only son to a crappy, nasty, place called earth, to be mocked and killed by the lowly scum you've been sent to save? I make music to give back to him, though I know it'll never be enough. I grew up a church boy, and everything, so I was one of the hardest things for me to find out who REALLY was my savior. Well, now I make music as an act of worship.

samuelock3.jpg

Who are some of your favorite producers out right now?

Kanye, Blaze, all them peoples, but my favorites are the Neptunes. They compose a lot, and I give them credit. I mean, sometimes I feel that the sample makes the beat, even for some of my beats. But if your beat is all composed, and GENIUS, then props to you. Also Scott Storch. That dude is sick on the keys.

Do you think that producers today are starting to sample a little more now instead of just composing with synths?

I don't know. There seems to be an equal amount of both. I think it's leaning a little towards sampling, 'cause that's what seems popular these days. I don't really know.

Which would you prefer to do - samples or synths?

Synths, just because of the fact that the possibilities are nearly endless, especially with stuff like the Motif and Fantom, you think it, you can create it. I mean there a millions of ways to flip samples, but I do prefer synths, especially growing up playing piano.

If your favorite producer was to invite you to his studio for a session, how would you react? What would be some of the questions you would ask him?

If Scott Storch asked me, I'd probably go crazy inside, and try to remain my cool on the outside. I mean, what would you do if a loaded-with-money-and-creativity asked YOU to his studio? I wouldn't overreact, maybe. When I got to his studio, I'd wait for him to talk, and if he didn't, I'd strike up some questions. Probably what equipment he uses, his method of making beats, and how to achieve some of the sounds he gets. I'd probably also ask him to make a beat then and there.

What if your favorite rapper wanted to work with you - how would approach the project (without acting like a kid in a candy store!)?

Hmm actually, this'd be pretty cool. I'd handle it quite lightly yet business-like. I mean, studio sessions are most of the time fun, and I'd probably look forward to getting to know the rapper, which I don't really know who it'd be. I'd probably showcase my beats, and if he didn't like them, I could make a beat with him. Then lay down the track, and all that fun stuff.

Do you have any up-coming projects you're working on?

I'm actually working on a solo-type EP thing, in order to raise money for a MO6, 'cause I've been lusting, okay, maybe not lusting, but wanting one of them ever since I've heard of their release. It's me, trying to rap. I'll probably throw a couple of friends on there who don't really rap, either. But it's all for God, so at the end of the day, even if I didn't make money, I'm rich in His glory.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

• Shoutout to God, the Awesome one.
  • Shoutout to Nathan, for showing me this awesome site.
  • Shoutout to Sanova for becoming my first friend I made on ILL.
  • Shoutout to Yamaha, for making great synths.
  • Shoutout to my family, which is one of my biggest influences.
  • Shoutout to my good times, and bad times as well, which help me to bring that heat.
  • And shoutout to YOU Fade! You're awesome.