satellite radio

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Has anybody checked out satellite radio? I'm thinkin of gettin XM radio for my computer cause you can convert the radio stream directly to MP3 with some cheap software. Plus, there's hardly any commercials and some stations have no commercials at all.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

A trucker friend of mine has XM in his big rig, he SWEARS by it. The biggest benefit is that you can get reception no matter where you are in the states, as well as having the specialty programming, like comedy, international news, talk, and genre-specific channels...and the sound quality is near to that of cd. It really does sound great when you a/b it with a strong FM signal.

It costs something like $100 to get a receiver, and the subscription is about $10 a month, which is well worth it if you're into that kind of stuff.

What I would like to see is the ability to have local channels have access to the technology, so that for example I could listen to my favorite talk channel in Phoenix no matter where I drove in the country. I wouldn't even mind if there were commercials, and as it's only talk the sound quality wouldn't matter so much.

Forget about having something convert it to mp3, it would be cool if you could turn the digital stream into a wav file, then edit the stuff you don't want out before burning it to cd (or compress it to mp3 if you desire). You may be able to record the audio directly into a sound program like CEP or SoundForge if your card is set up correctly.

Take care,

Nick

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
I find that it is easier to convert to mp3, that way if you like it, you can convert it to wav, but if you dont its not takin up nearly as much space on your hard drive. And yeah, the receiver is like 80 bucks and its only 10 bucks a month

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
I've had xm since 2001, and its the fuckin shit.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

If you first convert to mp3, it's going through a stage of 'lossy' compression. Since the stream is ALREADY compressed when you receive it, you are damaging the quality of the audio by sending it through a second stage of mp3 compression.

If you want to eventually save it as a wav file, you should record it as such and save it to maintain quality; then if you want to archive it, save it as an mp3 if hard drive space is a concern and audio quality is not.

Take care,

Nick