Scared to Sign contracts

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
I found an independent label thats willing to put out my music which is good. The problem is these people dont sign less than 3 year contracts I dont know about that. They have money so they'd pay me, they have their own studio so I wouldnt be paying for studio time and its a pretty good studio but I dont want to be on their label until Im 24. I was hoping to somehow find an independent for 1 album cycle but Ive been told thats not likely to happen which peobably means that this deal would be about as good as it gets for me right now seeing how Im a new face. I feel like Im hot right now, I really need to put something out ASAP Houston is on the map as far as hip hop goes right now, I could do it by myself but it would take considerably longer to do so and like I said Im ready to roll fuck waitin. So now I am very confused as to what I should do, yall think I would be able to find a 1 album cycle deal with a small label? Do those exist?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Shit I just had this long letter of advice and erased it.
Quick stuff:
If you like the label and think they could be fam for the next three years go for it.
Make sure that you are gettin some good production points for whatever you produce.
Make sure your with ASCAP or BMI or somthin.
Make sure your aware of any "option" clauses they may have that would tie you to them after 3 years without your permission.
Make sure that there is a clause to get you out of the contract if they are not pushin product that you are makin.
I have heard horror stories og producers who get sighned to labels run by thugs and gangs where they stick these guys in sweat shop studios and they never see the light of day and dont get credit or proper pay and cant leave for fear of gettin killed. (but thats extereme)
Pick up the book "Everything you need to know about the music business" it is invaluable.
I would send you a copy of my bootleg copy from a copier copy if I could
(It made me go ahead and start my own independent)
Make sure that you will still be able to do your own stuff on the side as long as it doesnt conflict with your duties to the label (such as post beats on this forum). You would be surprised at how posting here with your trax will freak some labels out.
Yes 1 album cycle deals do exsist but your gonna be hard pressed I think to find someone who's smokin and is willing to do that.
It takes longer than you think to get a good album together (and I never used to believe that).
Your 21 man check those things I was sayin and do it 24 isnt old and you will have gotten mad experience both good and bad probably as well as contacts for when you get out of your contract.
Anyway hope that helps. Feel free to hit me up anytime bra...
I dont know everything but any knowledge can help sometimes...
Relic Rough Intelligent Productions LLC

nfx

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Also be sure that they won't charge you for studio time if thats important to you. Just because they own the studio doesn't mean they won't bill for it's usage even if it's in house.

nfx

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Relic said:
Hell if they are doin that shit DO NOT SIGN.
You are an employee and thats where you work
how the hell are they gonna charge you to come to work?

Maybe I misread the original post but a label as a business entity is not the same as a studio as a business entity.

A lot of businesses may have the same owners but then have one business charge the other business for services. This can make sense from a tax angle as well as a way to get more money everyday by just having two businesses. PLus it's just good business sense.

Let's say you own an auto shop and a auto parts store. Does the auto shop get free parts from the auto parts store? No. Because the parts store has to keep good books to show money coming in and out (has to pay rent, etc) and the same applies for the auto shop.

Now if you're trying to recruit a new mechanic you might mention that you also own an auto parts store but ither than getting parts at a great discount, the two businesses should be run as independent entities.

Now I don't know for a fact what the deal is with regards to the original poster, all I'm saying is don't assume you're going to get free studio time just because the label owners say they own a studio, make sure you ask about it directly and possibly get it in writing if you can.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Well thats a good point nfx, however its not like your in there working on your own car.You dont make the mechanic pay for the parts, the auto shop does. If they were trying to make the mechanic pay for the parts to work on someone elses car then he shouldnt work there is all Im saying.

400-m

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
id say go 4 it 3yrs is not long,, JUST pay attention to details and LEARN the business. it could be a gain for you in that department...and name recognition..... alway make sure your name is on it ALWAYS