Schock G quits!

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
I'm retiring from all forms of studio work and song writing.

My reasons for retiring are:
1. I get no satisfaction or fullfillment from it anymore. It doesn't make me happy. On the contrary, it depresses me. Normally I'm not depressed, it's only surrounding the studio. I'm happy when I'm away from the studio.

2. Can't make a living at it. 90% of the studio work I've done in the last 6 years has all been either for free or for peanuts, and hasn't generated any income since.

3. It drives me to do drugs, cause I HATE BEING IN THE STUDIO. To much pressure & expectation for me to make/save/spark someone elses career or project.

4. I quit the studio. Fuck the studio.

5. I can't win in the studio, It's pointless, it's a "catch 22" for me, watch:
If what I do sucks, it tarnishes the legacy, hurts the family, and even lowers the price, and also leaves the artists & involved-companies unhappy;
But if what I do shines, it generates more studio work for the future, and furthur traps me in the music business, a business I have no intention of slaving to the rest of my life. I gave it 20 years. I'm done.

6. Every man has the right to the pursuit of happiness and should first try a job that he might gain happiness & fullfillment from. This doesn't make me happy anymore, it makes me miserable and a drug addict.

7. I'm done widdit. Whew!
YES, it already feels great already just to say it!!!

I most likely will try my hand at some of these:
> writing (Afeni assures me this is my true calling everytime she see's me. Maybe she's right?)

> acting

> stage performing, meaning accepting tours or positions in other bands doing keys & background vocals. (IF it's real and if the moneys good. No amatuer or free stuff anymore.)

> regular jobs in service (like clubs, hotels, TV show bands or staff, resturants, who knows?)

> ..and of course still do digital tours cause it PAYS and people don't expect me & Mon (grown men) to work for free, like all the studio requests. I'm 42 and have wants/needs/bills/responsibilities.

So there it is, spread the word, I quit.
I don't make beats, I don't do vocals, I don't write vocals, NONE OF IT.

Those of you who are friends, will be happy for me. Happy that I shook something that was making me miserable.

Those of you who had plans to "use" or manipulate me at the expense of my own health & happiness, will be upset about this. All I can say to those would be, you're free to do whatever you wish, and so am I.

I choose to QUIT.

there it is.
Thanx everybody, spread the word
shock
http://www.the411online.com/shockg.jpg

A shame, schock did lots of dope stuff (digital underground, murs, perceptionists)...

Did anybody check his last album Fear of a Mixed Planet?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I didn't know he was still around! DU had some dope tracks back in the day, I guess everyone has their reasons for giving up like that, but it's still kind of odd.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
Yeah Fade, he was on the last Murs album even!...lol...Poor bastard, that sux hes not happy no more, i guess u gotta do what u gotta do tho!?....I wonder if that letter is actually real tho???

Nah man, he said he's happy just not in the studio. Maybe that's what you mean. I definitely didn't realize that he was 42. He's always seemed like a cool dude.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
No i got it...but thats the point, cuz if he aint happy creating and helping push his music in the studio then that kinda sux for the guy, especially since it once was the largest part of his life and how he supported himself and his kids, etc........

SuPa'PrOduZa

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word...

Producer_GyaL said:
his letter is so depressing for people who want to make it in the music industry. He make it sound like it sucks pretty badly.

I can relate to his feelings somewhat. I've been producing for a while. For me, music is breathing. When I play an instrument whether it be Piano, guitar, bass, percussion or whatever, it makes 'me' feel free! Sadly in this day and age of beatmakers hogging up the spotlight with gimmics and undeserved 'hype', their wackness carves out a trend. 'Whoever' is 'in' or pushin units for the moment, this is what the industry leans on. This ain't nuffin new and it's always been a pressure for us who are talented with our own sound and experience in hip hop.

I've opted to stay away from the spotlight for a while to avoid that pressure but some things are inevitable. Once you're 'on' it's up to you how you manage those '15 minutes.'

DU has made me smile in the day and has been the backdrop to many of my best hip hop memories. I'm appreciative to Shock's contributions but I'm more happy that he's finally at peace with himself.

God bless him and his family.

SuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuPa! Ch...Cheaa

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Producer_GyaL said:
his letter is so depressing for people who want to make it in the music industry. He make it sound like it sucks pretty badly.

Yeah, but remember, he's been doin it for twenty years. After awhile, especially if your main run is over, you can start to get tired of doing things, no matter how great your love once was. I bet he'll look back on many points of his career with fond memories.

C

Caffeine

Music is a constant growth in progress (if that makes sense)...it's like this, when it grows, you either adapt and grow with it, or you're left behind. The only way to avoid being left behind is to have a true love for music. And when I say this, I mean a love for ALL types of music (opera, country, and classical included here people). I think a lot of people get caught up in "loving music" but really it's just loving the money (when making it), and when there's no money comming in, there's a tendancy to obviously not be happy anymore.

The music industry is one of the most cutthroat industries to be in. You gotta have balls and stand up strong, not letting anyone push you down. I've had my own run-ins with straight industry pros, and they hate me. My attitude is this, I don't need them, they need me. And it's true and will always be. I'm not the best at what I do, but I'm learning more and more everyday and progressing. There are FEW people who are in this for the love. And those are the truely golden children of music. Mozart, Bethoven, J. S. Bach, didn't quit making music cause money wasn't comming in, and neither will I.

Who's with me?

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
MadScientist said:
I've been on his same page for the last couple of months. My mood changes from time to time but overall I feel like shock.

word, i think many of us feel that from time to time. I do,,alot of times I'm like,,,I'm gettin to old, and it will never happen,,but then i'm like,,Yo, when i hear that perfect verse back for the first time,,,i get a crazy feelin like, Yoooooooo, that shit is crazy fresh!!! And I remember why i do what i do,,,,,also, when i make that perfect track,,(yall know what I mean,,the kind of shit that no matter howmany times you hear that shit,,ya head nods constantly)yeah,,,same feelin man,,,,MS, you a talented dude fa real,,,,do what makes ya get that feelin man,,,,because thats a feelin many people don't get to experience in life,,,,thats what separates us artists from the normals,,,1