scrapping a song

• beat this! voting starts in...

lee traffik

ill o.g.
So I was in the studio yesterday laying this song to another producer's beat. This is the first time I have recorded to anyone else's beats in over a year but i wanted to work with this producer because 1)he is a friend 2)he is hot and 3)he has some major placements so his name carries weight. But it was like I couldn't get into a groove when recording. Have i gotten too used to rapping over my own beats? Do ya'll think that is possible?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeah you could be used to your own joints, but you need to tell your boy to cue all of his joints up and just press play, and you fast fwd till you feel one of the for you...feel me....? you will never force yourself over a beat that either doesnt flow or isnt your style....regardless of the myth (freestyle only maybe) any emcee can go on a beat nonsense....if you doing this for your project pick the beat that moves you and moves you to write! ...Just my opinion

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
im feeling that. you as an mcee/producer know best whats good for you. i seldomly like to rap over other producers beats straight away. i like to pick stuff carefully, since i did a few spontaneous joints with other people and mostly i threw tracks away after. especially if u got a very own taste of what a beat should sound like, there can come up this, "damn, i'm not doing hiphop here" feeling. but you could just have had a bad day either...

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just had a conversation with my friend about this very subject. I was recording him over another producer beat. He couldn't get into the mood of the beat for nothin. It took 32 takes just to get something a the 1st Verse done. You know Cubase count how many takes you do. Well, he wasn't really feeling the beat but wanted to help a friend. I was telling him and the guy who did the beat that every beat you do ain't good for all. This is how you can tell the different from a person who makes beats and a producer. That's why i just play the first 30sec of my tracks. If you can feel the first 30sec then we got a winner. Peace

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I agree with that every track is not for every emcee but I think that it doesn't have anything to do with it not being your own track. I rhyme over my own stuff all the time, and also over other producers beats, but it seems to me that there are just days that you wont feel certian beats and you cant do anything with them, then if you go back to that same beat a couple days or even a month later, it can turn out to be one of the best songs you ever made. For instance i got a friend who will always bring over his newest shit to show me and get feed back, there was a particular beat that i told him i didn't like, and i just wasn't feelin it. I always keep the cd's he gives me though....anyways about a month later i was lookin for some inspiration to write to and when that beat came on It caught my ear......We ended making a dope ass song to that same beat i hated in the beginning.......lol........and he never lets me live it down either....