Scratch Magazine is no more!

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
maaaan, i bought a years subscription about 2 months ago. i KNOW they wont refund me. bastards.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
the problem was, it was a XXL magazine, literally, as far as i understood it.

"XXL presents..... " was how it read to me
at any rate
even though they got FAR away from what the initial purpose was (putting eminem on the cover deaded any credibility they had, whatsoever) i still enjoyed some of it. i still enjoy some of the source and xxl too, just not near as feverishly as i once did.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah it went astray. now what happens to the rest of my subscription payment for the next 2 years??

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
they got away from there orginal goal, they tried to be to much like XXL or the source and so the orginal readers(like myself) bounced... And they were left trying to impress teenagers.. they should have stuck to the script....

tHATS WHAT YOU GET FOR BITING THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU
I wish actual hip hop music worked like that...

REMIX is a way better mag anyways

Thank you! just as I was starting to like the publication...they flipped it on me...it turned into "XXL pt 2". I think XXL bought them out or some shit because the earliest publications just had "SCRATCH MAGAZINE" on the front. The newer issues has "XXL presents: SCRATCH MAGAZINE" so that there lets you know where the problem came from.

Good riddance, I'm sayin, they had Lil Wayne and DJ Khaled on a couple covers ago,,,Just like anything else in Hip Hop,,,,watered down

thats when they lost me for good!

Remixed is a good publication too but I dont think it caters to beatmakers...we need something specifically for us. How about "ILLMUZIK MAGAZINE...THE BEAT GOES ON" Some shit like that. C'mon Fade... you could corner the market with that shit right there God. I would def be a writer for that joint.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
the problem was, it was a XXL magazine, literally, as far as i understood it.

"XXL presents..... " was how it read to me
at any rate
even though they got FAR away from what the initial purpose was (putting eminem on the cover deaded any credibility they had, whatsoever) i still enjoyed some of it. i still enjoy some of the source and xxl too, just not near as feverishly as i once did.

Cold Truth just by lookin at ur avatar i just seen that movie lol

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
Wow didnt see this comming at all, I am a fan of the magazine even though they kind of changed the format in the last couple issues. It was for hip-hop producers and DJ's thats why it caught my attention the most. Other mags do go into detail with helpful tips, thats the one thing I didnt like about scratch, but they did have some intresting articles ex. publishing deals.

T

TheMost

they got away from there orginal goal, they tried to be to much like XXL or the source and so the orginal readers(like myself) bounced... And they were left trying to impress teenagers.. they should have stuck to the script....

Well said, the last issue i bought was the one with Cool and Dre on it.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.

They weren't trying to impress teenagers, they were trying to impress sponsors and advertisers - and in the magazine business (especially) the entities who buy ads have
influence over content.

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
My cousin used to work for Scratch Magazine. In fact, he was the editor in chief for so many issues before they started phasing out the mag.. He did a blog about it, thought It would be cool to copy paste it here. Good read... but its only his opinion. :)

I’m Mad (R.I.P. Scratch Magazine)
Current mood: contemplative

Producer: one that produces; especially : one that grows agricultural products or manufactures crude materials into articles of use
2 : a person who supervises or finances a work (as a staged or recorded performance) for exhibition or dissemination to the public

Now that my former 9-to-5 of Scratch magazine has gone the way of Blaze, Stress, Rap Pages, et al. I know that some of you are wondering what I think. Honestly, I'm not surprised. I don't doubt that a ton of hard work went into every issue, but the readers have to understand the context of what is going on. Scratch is the first purely original hip-hop magazine idea (or magazine idea in general) to come along in YEARS. Everything else you've seen has had a template or blueprint to follow. Even the new XXL cover with upcoming rappers is a re-tread of a Source cover from 1998. But Scratch was going in uncharted territory. That meant that a great deal of adjustment had to be made with each issue. The larger issue, and I've discussed this before, is that the general population isn't made to care about how they get what they get, they just want it. Meaning, they don't care how Soulja Boy got such a catchy groove for his hit song, they just want to learn the dance. They don't care how the ipod works, they just want it to play their music. They don't care how the cow gets slaughtered to make their burger, they just want to make sure they get the prize they want in the Happy Meal. This was a magazine for those interested in the how-to and that just doesn't translate to big dollars in a world of "gimme now."

I've read some of the comments from readers on the Myspace page where they ask "what can we do?" Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. You've already voted with your dollars and/or subscriptions and in this case your candidate did not win the election. Consider your sub cards dangling Chads. Maybe someone will buy the name, maybe it will continue online in another form. Maybe I have something up my sleeve...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
My cousin used to work for Scratch Magazine. In fact, he was the editor in chief for so many issues before they started phasing out the mag.. He did a blog about it, thought It would be cool to copy paste it here. Good read... but its only his opinion. :)

I’m Mad (R.I.P. Scratch Magazine)
Current mood: contemplative

Producer: one that produces; especially : one that grows agricultural products or manufactures crude materials into articles of use
2 : a person who supervises or finances a work (as a staged or recorded performance) for exhibition or dissemination to the public

Now that my former 9-to-5 of Scratch magazine has gone the way of Blaze, Stress, Rap Pages, et al. I know that some of you are wondering what I think. Honestly, I'm not surprised. I don't doubt that a ton of hard work went into every issue, but the readers have to understand the context of what is going on. Scratch is the first purely original hip-hop magazine idea (or magazine idea in general) to come along in YEARS. Everything else you've seen has had a template or blueprint to follow. Even the new XXL cover with upcoming rappers is a re-tread of a Source cover from 1998. But Scratch was going in uncharted territory. That meant that a great deal of adjustment had to be made with each issue. The larger issue, and I've discussed this before, is that the general population isn't made to care about how they get what they get, they just want it. Meaning, they don't care how Soulja Boy got such a catchy groove for his hit song, they just want to learn the dance. They don't care how the ipod works, they just want it to play their music. They don't care how the cow gets slaughtered to make their burger, they just want to make sure they get the prize they want in the Happy Meal. This was a magazine for those interested in the how-to and that just doesn't translate to big dollars in a world of "gimme now."

I've read some of the comments from readers on the Myspace page where they ask "what can we do?" Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. You've already voted with your dollars and/or subscriptions and in this case your candidate did not win the election. Consider your sub cards dangling Chads. Maybe someone will buy the name, maybe it will continue online in another form. Maybe I have something up my sleeve...

I can see how he became an editor! Good read.......looks like he's brain storming a spin off mag....interesting!

members online