Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Scratchable CD Players are better.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I'd like to get your opinions on which is better. I have mixed feelings because I clearly see the benefits of both. I like turntables because it takes a true skill to seriously "get wicked" DMC style. Then on the other hand, scratchable CD players give you a much tighter and cleaner scratch. They both require a level of skill but from working on the CD player, I've noticed a better sound quality and much more ease in scratching. In my heart I feel as if scrathable CD players take away alot of the skill of a true DJ. What do my peeps think and why?

holla back,--dac

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
I have to agree on that .... both have advantages...I'll always have a preference for turntables and I hope that vinyl will be forever... but if scratchable CD players can get the job done , then why not ?
There is just one thing I would criticize : on a CD player , the scratching sound doesn't vary that much whereas on a turntable it depends on the needle, tonearm, anti skating, record weight, slipmat...

peace,

PHIL

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'd have to say turntables for sure. I know the CDs will also get the job done, but I've always looked at that as something club DJ's use. For realy complex and traditional scratching, it would have to be turntables.

Besides, can you see DMC saying from now on "All competitors will use only scratchable CD players..."? LOL.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
for studio work i would go with the cd player. there are things that you could do with that that you wouldnt be able to do unless you had a dubplate, which is expensive and more trouble than its worth. how would you like scratches of your own rhymes? burn a cd of an accapella, and there you go: you can now scratch your own vocal. i put my pastors' sermons to my beats sometimes and when i go to use it for a multimedia video, it would be ill to hear something he says scratched......for the studio, you have way more versitility with the cd player. i would use them as part of a live show, because say if you are battling you could slip in a diss about that particular dj that someone spit on the cd and ..... you get my drift? its just like the software/hardware debate: people usually like one or the other, but it is the ones who combine both that have the most manuverability. everything has a unique application for its purpose!!!

old supreme

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
that's a good point TT, burning yourself and scratching is easier and cheaper than a dub.

how much do the scratchable cd players cost?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
yeah it sounds better, but my point for favoring the cd's was based on the sheer possibilities of the cd player... you could do things that you couldnt do with a turntable... really having both would be very benificial..

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
i was a turntablist and at this point there's no way cds can take turntables..turntables allow you a lot more sense of touch when doing tricks and such...but if the technology improves in this way it could happen.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
yes, but can you scratch, juggle, etc.... your own vocals on a turntable when you dont have a record of yourself? can you make your own records and scratch on them? the cd's arent BETTER- of course not, the feel can never be the same, and it never will be, but boy they sure do give yuo options you wouldnt have with a turntable!!! its kind like hardware and software; there are things that hardware just cant do, but there is a certain feel to working with hardware, especially with live applications, but both of the used together gives you the most complete set of options available. i think its worth it to have a scratchable cd on hand with turntables...imagine the look on a dj's face when you are battling and you cut up some recording of his women complaining about him!!!! the possibilities are great!!!!