SCSI zip drive

stabster

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Okay, here's my problem. I got both my mpc and my computer connected to my zip drive. Now, when the computer is on my mpc wont read the zip drive.. Anybody know how to solve this problem?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Have you set ID's ? LUN ? Im using scsi dockable drives, but it should be no diff from the zip ( except zip has the deadly tic, bye bye data ).

stabster

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
How do i set ID's? on the back of the zip drive there are too buttons. One to turn the termination on or off (whatever the hell that is) and another one called SCSI and you can choose from 5-6...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Yep, those are the jumper settings. Termination is needed depending on the scsi device last in chain. Some devices already offer embedded termination, I dunno on the zip, you should check it out though( go through the manual ). The mpc should recognize the zip by ID, the way you place the jumper determines the ID 1-7. So if you place the jumper to ID5, then the mpc should recognize ID#5 in the load screen while switching the load device.

It's scsi hell, but not as we know it.

stabster

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's one of the problems, i didnt get the manual. The zip drive is on Id 5 so the mpc recognises the zip on Id5, but the mpc can't read when the computer (wich is also connected to the zip drive) is on. Im sorry i didnt quite get your answer.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Formant...are you a computer geek like me??? Sounds like it,,,I got the nerdy certification to prove it too!!!:rolleyes:

Anyway, in this case it sounds like the zip is the last of the chain so he will need to terminate. so stabster, hit that terminate button and that should do the job. Does NTFS have anything to do with a SCSI setup Formant? I thought it could work on fat32 as well,,,oh well,,,I'm a network guy anyway,,,never messed with SCSI or daisy chains,,,

Try terminating the SCSI drive(zip) Stab, it should work.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Well, till a certain extend it does. Im not quite sure anymore since it's been a while since hooking up the MPC to scsi ( midi only ). I don't think the mpc saves files to NTFS format in order to be read on a FAT file system or vice versa. That why I asked. I am more of a gear freak then a computer geek though, I was a field service engineer in semiconductor bizz, it where I got my dockable scsi drives and 2940 UWII adapters for free ( oke oke, I knicked them ). Though networks were used to link robots automated storage rooms and monorail vehicles in a logistic heart combined with HF control/watchdog spread through 280 operator monitors in a 2 level fab...
(take breath) I know jack shit on networking lol! I never studied IT or had MCSE

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
NTFS (NT Files System) is a format to where you HD is intentionaly configured to run Windows NT. FAT(32=fast) is the normal format for windows domestic platforms (95,98,me and XP) Xp offers the both the usage of either NTFS or FAT32 since the platform is like a evolutionary merge between NT and 98 with newly added features.

it also implies that when burning data for removable devices such as cd or zip, the compatibilty will be determinded by what file system you use. You can not read NTFS on a FAT32 system so if by accident your xp has been setup to ntfs, your data won be of any use on another pc running FAT32. Also devices hookde bewteen NTFS and FAT32 may not work properly or not at all. Such as SCSI devices with non similair filesystems. May not be the way to solve your problem, but something you might wanna know.