Sean Paul Gives Seizures....

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Not sure if anybody read about this but I thought it was funny.

sean-paul-100x100-02.jpg

Sean Paul's music receives different types of reactions from listeners. For one Queens, New York resident, the dancehall star's music caused seizures.

According to New York's Daily News, certain songs became a literal health hazard to Stacey Gayle and she underwent surgery to put an end to it.

Gayle, 25, suffers from epilepsy and even while on medication, for four years she still suffered from sporadic seizures.

In 2006, she realized that music, specifically Sean Paul's song "Temperature," could trigger her attacks.

As Gayle would come to find out, other popular tracks like Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls" and Rihanna's "Umbrella" were also to blame. As a result of the musically triggered seizures, Gayle was forced to drop out of school, quit her job as a bank customer service rep and no longer go to church - where she was a member of the choir.

Hoping to put an end to her worries, Gayle contacted Dr. Ashesh Mehta, a neurosurgeon and director of epilepsy surgery at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New Hyde Park.

At first the doctor was suspicious of Gayle's case, admitting the odds of Gayle having musicogenic epilepsy - a disease where seizures are triggered by music were very rare. "There are only 50 to 100 cases ever reported of this disorder."

But his suspicions were put to rest once he witnessed Gayle having a seizure after listening to Sean Paul's song.

So, on Oct. 3, Gayle underwent surgery and doctors removed a 3-inch portion of her right front temporal lobe. This is the same area that processes music.

Yesterday (Jan.17) Gayle told the Daily News "I don't know why Sean Paul was giving me seizures. But as soon as the beat came on, it just triggered a seizure. I'd go somewhere and I'd be like, 'Don't play that song!'"

The surgery was a success and Gayle has since returned to her normal life. She is back in her church choir and is also attending York College where she is studying to become a teacher.

She did admit though, that it took her a month to gather enough courage to listen to "Temperature" again.

Despite all she's been through, Gayle is still a fan of Sean Paul, admitting, "I think his music is awesome. Now I can see why everyone liked this song."

members online

No members online now.