Selling Beats for chump change.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Why do people even bother selling beats for prices under $2-300 bucks? That still seems low, but damn I always see heads chargin like 10 bucks and shit. That is seriously weird to me. It seems like the bother of even distributing it to the buyer is worth more than 10 bones. It's a diss to the art and yourself as well imo. What ya gonna do, buy a fuckin 12 pack or somethin? Some skittles and fun dip?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I used to charge $50.00.. Reason being I just wanted to get my name out there that way I could raise the prices, and I did.. Only problem with that is you gotta be slick with it. Once in a while u get them cats like "Oh, you eXampuL_oNe? (yeah.) You sold "_______" a beat for $50.00... Then I just kinda explain the reasoning and people understand, for that hot product you gotta pay that good price... Most cat's atleast around here don't want to pay 2-300$ a beat from some no name cat, even if the shit is hot as fuck!

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
simple answer because they dealin with broke people :) thats the only reason i can see someone sellin a beat for 10 bucks that or they dont think they material is good enough for a higher price or they just dont really care

other than that i dont know good question

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
10 buck? wow!
50$ would be resonable... and that would be for beats I didn't put much effort in doing... I mean, it can take me a good 2 to 4 hours to touch up a beat (30 to 45 minutes here and there)....

Giving it for 10 bucks would result in being payed like 2.50 to 5 bucks and hour....

HEEEEEEEEEELL NO!

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
YO, I just sold my 5 beats for 2 bills to some cat that ive known for a while. First reason Im cool with the dude and so I wanst really trying to take his money cus we both grinding. Second, Them beats I coughed up in less than half an hour each, shit the way im looking at it is I could work a whole weak to get a paycheck of 250 or I can sell these beats that took 2 1/2 hours to do and got almost the same! I got two of those beats posted on http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...file&friendID=17055388&Mytoken=20050608183239

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I started @ $300, now i'm @ $1000... If you have to bargain your beats, there's something wrong.

-Donovan

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
$1000, a beat!? Who the fuck you fuckin with homie!? Ain't no local cat in there right mind gunna pay that much around here... I guess I need to move the fuck around! I'm taking over your business!!!!! Watch for my name in your area! lol..

S

Svenghali

Svenghali

I never heard of cats selling beats for $10 but maybe that's all the beats are worth. I would never sell a track for less than $2,000 because I put in work and I'm not gonna be pimped. And don't think people haven't tried.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
SketchUp said:
how do u actually go about sellin a beat, what first steps did you take? how did u find the buyers?

Well, first I would encourage you to make a cd with your beats... Pass that around a little to cat's that rap, D.J. etc... Be sure to put your number on there and other forms of contact info, your name, e-mail address.... Also have a webpage (soundclick,myspace)... Next have a price guide set up, not to high not to low....

I usually just throw a higher price out to someone now and work down little by little if they ain't willing to pay... Say something like $300, if they say "Aww MAn, $300? C'mon now!..." Throw something more reasonable out there... Say okay $350! lol, nah.. I usually drop by $50, but include something extra...

Say if you buy this beat for $300 and u want another one I'll make that one 50% off! Or something, negotiate and make sales... Remember that this is a business so try and touch up a little on your skills... Making mistakes can be good for you because you'll learn from those and it'll help you i the future.. I used to hate promoting myslef, now I know what to say and it's just another conversation...

Be sure of what your selling and stay positive, Negativity will get your ass!! If your tryin to sell a beat and your unsure of how your doing it when your doing it, just watch what happens... Cat's will be like "This cat's a joke!"

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
eXampuL_oNe said:
$1000, a beat!? Who the fuck you fuckin with homie!? Ain't no local cat in there right mind gunna pay that much around here... I guess I need to move the fuck around! I'm taking over your business!!!!! Watch for my name in your area! lol..

I'd like that, I need the competition.

-Donovan

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Producers sell for less, because MC's won't buy for as much. And you can have the hottest tracks in the world, but if an MC won't buy who'll you sell it too?

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
changalang said:
a year ago i used to sell $20 a beat but now i sell nothing cuz no one wants to buy or hear my beats

WTF.. How you bout to fall off when you weren't on yet.. You in a bad location or you just not get better at your craft? That story was REAL depressing.

-Donovan

members online