SERIOUS QUESTION ... Would You Pay For Placements or Features ???

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Would you pay for placements or features ???

- DJ's hosting // Getting On their mixtapes
(As far as DJ's are concerned i'm talking well established DJ's ...)
- Artist Features (For Artists & Producers)
- Placement on Major Hip Hop Websites (Hiphopgame.com, Allhiphop.com)
- Etc things of this nature

Example DJ _____ big name DJ charges $250 for a slot on his/her
tape would you pay or for them to host your project ? ... We already
know people pay for artist features ... And would you pay for placement
ont he major hip hop sites such as ALLHIPHOP & HIPHOPGAME where
millions of people visit and see/hear whats featured ?

Just had a discussion with someone I know who has alot of contacts
and we were discussing this sort of thing ... I wanted to get some more
thoughts so decided to ask the ill fam ... He might make a service availlable
where whatever you need he'll get the connects and make it happen and
only gets paid when your service is a done deal.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
yes and no .. cosign agent smith 100% .....ive never done it but i aint exactly opposed to the idea if the situation is right....what i dont like are the "advertised" tapes from suspect companies that they send out on myspace messages "spam style" as am open invitation to anyone whos willing to pay... them shits is wack and take away the integrity of the product. if the dj is hot enough he should have artists coming to him so them spam messages turn me off.. u gotta pay to play though and it could be a good look depending the dj or artists feature. some artists and djs actually have really good rates though but alot are def overcharging. overall i would prolly rather pay for a artist feature than a mixtape slot .. mixtapes got short shelf life but a hot song with an established emcee can get u a long way.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Fuck no!

Cheapens the whole thing even more. If you're only getting placements cause you paid for them then you don't deserve them IMO. I don't give a fuck who does it; it's not something I would support at all. If you're that desperate for recognition then.......

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
hell no to me that seems backwards

you are absolutely correct classic! c'mon H&R you know better, what does your first instinct tell you? HELL NO!, then your mind says "well lets look at the possibilities here...hmmm?" STOP! trust you're first instinct.

If anything they should break you off a little something, they are gonna get paid off the mixtapes right? And who did ALL the work? Find the real dj's out there and get your ish played in the clubs and on the radio. fug a mixtape...then after your ish blows, wait until they use your ish on a mixtape and sue the fug outta them for attempting to play you like that.

MOF

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
tell him youll give him half that and show him some love when your on.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
you are absolutely correct classic! c'mon H&R you know better, what does your first instinct tell you? HELL NO!, then your mind says "well lets look at the possibilities here...hmmm?" STOP! trust you're first instinct.

If anything they should break you off a little something, they are gonna get paid off the mixtapes right? And who did ALL the work? Find the real dj's out there and get your ish played in the clubs and on the radio. fug a mixtape...then after your ish blows, wait until they use your ish on a mixtape and sue the fug outta them for attempting to play you like that.

MOF

Co-sign.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Just a discussion ... & Takes money to make money sadly and I'd gladly pay DJ _____
a $100 for a slot when everyone in my city cops his tapes and bumps them ... He's providing
a service/business and it benefits my career so why not ??? ... I'm all for the "You should
play my music because you like it not cause I paid" but i'm not going the grass routes indie
way or plan on sticking to just a niche fanbase ... I'm the business of making hott music
and getting heard and if it helps why not ... If I pay for a slot and everyone loves the track
eventually he's gonna start picking up my tracks on his own.

I already get on a bucnha of mixtapes with produced tracks w/artists so this is all just example ...
Can't act like artists don't pay for promo, mag features (Not all is mags reaching out), other
artists and etc.

Just curious to see the ill fams take on this because we were discussing it thats all.

Thanks for the responses guys !

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Just a discussion ... & Takes money to make money sadly and I'd gladly pay DJ _____
a $100 for a slot when everyone in my city cops his tapes and bumps them ... He's providing
a service/business and it benefits my career so why not ??? ... I'm all for the "You should
play my music because you like it not cause I paid" but i'm not going the grass routes indie
way or plan on sticking to just a niche fanbase ... I'm the business of making hott music
and getting heard and if it helps why not ... If I pay for a slot and everyone loves the track
eventually he's gonna start picking up my tracks on his own.

I already get on a bucnha of mixtapes with produced tracks w/artists so this is all just example ...
Can't act like artists don't pay for promo, mag features (Not all is mags reaching out), other
artists and etc.

Just curious to see the ill fams take on this because we were discussing it thats all.

Thanks for the responses guys !

It takes money to make money.....you're on point with that statement H&R.

It's the norm down south to pay well known established mix tape DJ's for spots on there joints. It's a form of promotion and I see nothing wrong with it, especially if you're trying to get on. In the "A" they even include in the package that they'll wrap there promotion vans with your name and image for a little extra during the promotion phase of the mix tape. I wouldn't do it with just any DJ but if he's on and popin' it can't hurt. If you got that heat you can make some good connections doing that.

J

Jikky

It takes money to make money.....you're on point with that statement H&R.

It's the norm down south to pay well known established mix tape DJ's for spots on there joints. It's a form of promotion and I see nothing wrong with it, especially if you're trying to get on. In the "A" they even include in the package that they'll wrap there promotion vans with your name and image for a little extra during the promotion phase of the mix tape. I wouldn't do it with just any DJ but if he's on and popin' it can't hurt. If you got that heat you can make some good connections doing that.

Yea that's the way of the south. Pay for your spot on the mixtape. There are even DJ pools that help break your record. So u may pay a DJ group (Go DJ Group for example) a sh1tload of cash, but you just paid a group of at least 30 DJ's to break ur joint in the club. Nice deal to me. I'd gladly pay a DJ to drop me on the tape and then do a mixtape myself and have him chop, screw, and put his drops and voicetags all over it. Most of the DJ's are constantly doing mixtapes and breaking club records. It's a win win situation. Love the south so much! Seperates tha hustlers from the lazies. U gotta get out and grind.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DO IT. IT DEPENDS ON THE DJ AND WHAT BENEFIT YOU'D GET OUT OF IT.

IF PEOPLE IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS COP HIS SHIT AND LISTEN TO IT. PAY THE $100, ULTIMATELY IT'S ADVERTISEMENT.

I WOULD HIT UP BLOGS INSTEAD OF SITES LIKE ALLHIPHOP.COM AND HIPHOPGAME.COM.... i NEVER CHECK OUT THEIR ARTIST FEATURES.

I always check out the music that people recommend on blogs. Thing is they'd probably do it for free.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Yeah depends on the dj of course, $100-250 is nothing if its a big name guy thats gonna get you heard, but it WOULD be better to be invited to be on an actual single thats gonna sell as well.
I suppose now adays this is how it works, doesnt matta about the artist or song its payola.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
I dont get the overly negative reactions to the idea.. as a producer, everybody wants to make money doing beats, you would charge an artist x amount of dollars to use your resources and guidance to make a product. I dont see how a dj charging is ANY diffrent... you are utilizing their fan base to increase yours....like i said im not with those "spam" mixtapes but in general its a good look for promo. like many others said u gotta pay to play .. and like relic said, 100-250 dollars for a spot on a well known and respected mixtape is a good deal...... if a had a 3 song ep, no fans, and just 100 dollars in my budget and that was it.... i would rather put my songs on a well known mixtape than just print up a few cd copies and try to sell em or hand them out... u would reach way more people for your money...

and just to let yall know that "NO WAY!" attitude is the same one that those emcees buggin and tryin to hustle you for free beats have... lol ... think about it ... if u have a clear vision and purpose for your music and have done your research on the service you are using then its always gonna benfit you. paying to play happens at every level of the hip hop industry, from the mixtapes all the way up to majors.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Yeah depends on the dj of course, $100-250 is nothing if its a big name guy thats gonna get you heard, but it WOULD be better to be invited to be on an actual single thats gonna sell as well.
I suppose now adays this is how it works, doesnt matta about the artist or song its payola.

Relic..don't get it twisted. The better mix tape dj's do in fact offer spots for a fee but they will not accept or put on there mix tape with there "good name" a track that's not good or up to par. They turn down way more submissions than they actually put on the mix tape.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Relic..don't get it twisted. The better mix tape dj's do in fact offer spots for a fee but they will not accept or put on there mix tape with there "good name" a track that's not good or up to par. They turn down way more submissions than they actually put on the mix tape.

So true!

Mixtapes are for "promotional use only" as Cipha Sounds loves to say.... you got to pay for promotion.
That's just business.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
Think of it this way...you would easily pay $100 for like 200 flyers...and flyers don't play your song...plus you have to distribute them yourself, whereas mixtapes move faster through more channels. With a mixtape, the dj is just as interested in distributing it as you are, so you know it will fall into people's hands. Again...its a cost benefit ratio.