Seriously considering the move to Mac from PC.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Lately I've been working with Logic Pro 8...(on a mac of course). I've found it very easy to use.....I've fallen in love with it, actually....It's everything combined in one...

Luckily for me I have full sail students showing me the ropes....

So I'm sold...and thinking of getting an Mac at some point this year......

To mac users: is it worth it???

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
^^^ all worth it, but go pro man, stay away from the apple consumer products.

Logic Pro?

Or....

Mac Pro Notebook?

Or mac pro desktop?

Mac Pro is like 3 grand for the desktop....and 2grand for the laptop......

Logic Pro all the way...I'll even get a free copy of it, courtesy of Full Sail.....LOL

One of the guys I know worked for apple...tells me the iMac is good for it ....I don't plan on plugging in instruments...like he does.... I'm going to be just running the midi controller....and if we put anything live on it...we do it at the other spot, anyway...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Like Dream said, once I made the move I would never go back as well...and not just for music production too but for Graphics and whatever else. I simply appreciate the Mac OS ten billion times more then windows now.

I work on a MacBook with 2 gigs of Ram, 2ghz intel core 2 duo and I can virtually do anything I want with my system minus a few RAM hungry processes inside Photoshop....I typically run sessions in Logic anywhere from 15-45 tracks almost all with EQ, Compression, & other FX and the only thing i run into as a problem is my harddrive being too slow on occasion since I still need a good external (which i plan to purchase this year some time)...

As far as laptop or desktop thats more of a personal pref since you can really do a lot just with a MacBook Pro, but if your going to be working primarily at home and dont plan to be very mobile I would go with desktop since you get a larger screen and a real keyboard to work with.

If you got the dough go with the MacPro, but keep in mind thats only the tower and you still have to purchase everything else.
IMO, a maxed imac is just as good as long as your not getting into crazy huge sessions with a shit load of effects - and the obvious benefit with the imac is that you get everything you need with one purchase.

Im planning on getting a maxxed out imac myself at the end of 09.

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
weird, i just bought a mac today and a copy of logic eight, it should be arriving in a day or so. im attending a music tech degree course at bournemouth university in uk. basically the idea where im at is; if your gonna take it seriously? get the industry standard ish. i.e mac and logic. so i did.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I worked for apple too lol, get a mac pro, doesnt need to be the latest pro as they differ very little. I got a santa rosa 2.2Ghz and it the shit, very nice controllers onboard. I did some testing on motu interfaces a while back and use my mbp and a macbook and stressed it to record 32 channels from the motu's. The macbook couldnt handle it, it had performance issues reading the recordings which was solved by recording to an external HD( tested both FW & USB, both good for it). The macbook pro didnt need it, faster controllers with a bigger buffer enabled me to record to its internal hd. Its not that i would be bothered to us an ext. hd but to me less is more, especialy on mobile setups (one mbp and a 3u flightcase for 32chnl. mobile recording).

The pro's are also build much better and apple does not care for their consumerline, they do care about all their pro products.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
point is not everyone can afford to drop 3000 on a mac pro... but i feel u, there incredible machines. They got a 16 core comin out late 09 i heard at macstore. I got a macbook 2.16 core 2 duo, with 1.5 gigs of ram(just got 4 gigs of new ram in the mail today, unfortunately my drive is fucked up so i gotta reinstall my whole system first so i can getrid of corrupt files and run bootcamp. Got my important shit backed up on two different externals tho, so i can load em right back.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
You should always keep your sessions on an external, anyway.. It's backup in case your PC takes a shit on you. I will run the program itself out of my internal...but sessions on the external.....

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you should use an external to record to with pro tools whether u have a mac pro or a ee pc... thats what pro tools is meant to be recorded too

adthekidd

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
once you go mac you never go back...

im in lovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeee with os x

everything works flawless on a mac

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I moved from Mac to PC once. Then I decided to try PC again, lasted 6 months, bought another Mac. I don't care what you say, once you go Mac... you never go back! Its the truth. Shit just works once you plug it in. Rarely crashes and if it does, its the software crashing... not the OS.

My 2 cents.

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get a Mac Pro and Logic. As expensive as the Pro is, it's the only Mac in their range that's value for money.
I got one of the 8 core 2.8ghz Pros, had it for 6 months, and it is the ultimate PC for production.

OS X shits on XP for production: doesn't crash, audio drivers don't drop out, no fucking about to get a decent latency... etc etc..

I found logic pretty frustrating at first, but if you've already got that down, then switching to mac should be a no brainer.

Do it!

members online