Interviews Shadowstar Boxer Interview

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
shadowstarboxer.jpg

Shadowstar Boxer has grown as a lyricist. From humble beginnings in 2001 with Shadowstar Boxing Academy to rocking the mic on the regular for Chess Move Cartel, this emcee is consistently building a monument to good music and good Hip Hop. After helping to complete CMC 4 album projects and many other adventures, some of the greatest maturing minds in music have stepped up to provide top beats and rhymes that help to push Shadowstar Boxer's growth to new heights.

ShadowStar sent me a BUNCH of his music off top (which I appreciate) and very quickly I found myself head bobbing and digging the lyricism. He is a regular on Carolina Cuts and here he took time out to help us get to know him better.

What's up? Can you introduce yourself?

I'm Shadowstar Boxer of Chess Move Cartel.

Where in the Carolinas are you located?

Durham, North Carolina.

How would you describe your style?

My style is a combination of many things that I've learned along my journey through Hip Hop. My main objective is to always make songs with sharp delivery and colorful, understandable lyrics, whether it's a serious song or anything else.

Who or what would you say are your main influences?

Wu Tang Clan and Rakim styles seem to stand out the most, but I never try to copy. Much respect to all who have gone before me.

What was your first song that you dropped?

The first song I ever dropped was called BATTLE ON, recorded in 2001. It was the first time I had officially recorded something and I thank M_Theory (my friend Jordan Bell) for helping me build myself up from the ground.

How many songs do you have completed?

4 Shadowstar Boxing Academy albums projects, 5 Chess Move Cartel projects, 30+ tracks available on my Soundcloud and at least 10 or more collaborative projects I've done over the years; we're probably looking at 80 tracks or more!

What is your favorite group?

My favorite group right now has to be GANGRENE (Oh No and The Alchemist). They have been bringing some seriously creative Hip Hop sounds in their projects over the past couple of years.

Who would you like to work with?

I would LOVE to work with Cee-Lo, The Alchemist, Oh No, MF Doom, Wu Tang Clan, Bronze Nazareth, Erykah Badu, Adele, Jill Scott, Alicia Keys, and Tone Trezure. Those are my dream jobs right now but the list could be much longer.

What was your greatest accomplishment?

My greatest accomplishment? That would be getting to this point where I am right now. Through a myriad of hardships and shady people, I have been able to realize one of my childhood dreams and make good Hip Hop for people who actually listen!

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

When not recording I love martial arts, retro gaming, and creative writing.

What do you think about the current state of Hip Hop?

Hip Hop is making many changes. While mainstream Hip Hop stands as testament to how far we are willing to push the boundaries of acceptance and intelligence, there are plenty of Hip Hop rappers, singers, and producers willing to use creativity to get ahead. Sex is dominating the mainstream so I try to stay away from repetition. Just like sex is a part of what makes music great, so are many other things about this life.

Will you be touring in the future?

I would love to tour, just need a better grip on how to get started. YES is the appropriate answer!

Any shout outs?

Shout out to Chess Move Cartel and all of my U.K. family and fans, Ladies Choice Ent., Get Down Son Ent., Tara Hemmerly, Lazrso Records, Sarah Kaboom, Homebase Ent., Sadie Hawkins, Blaze The Sky, Alter Ege: HERO, Cyrano Cinatra, Eargasm Ent., 1100 Hunters, Team A&E, MC OneLine, M_Theory, Free Agent Jasun, Cesar Comanche, Spring Hill, Millie Vaughn, Honey Dip Productions, The Fat Boy, Caveman Kubes, Lance Ziglar, Royal Entry, Zeps, Poe Mack, Verb Insane and my Mom!!!

members online