Shakey Dog - Ghostface/Lewis Parker

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Back in the mid ‘90’s I used to use a Commodore Amiga running Octamed 8 for sampling before I got a PC. When I sampled with the Amiga the chops used to sound really lo-fi and distorted and was a quality that I really liked about the Amiga.

If you listen to Shakey Dog on the Fishscale album it sounds like Lewis Parker has replicated that same sort of sound with his samples in that song. My question is – does anyone know how to best replicate this effect with software? I’ve tried resampling in Soundforge using a lower bit rate (which only seems to muffle the sound) and eqing – neither of which are getting the desired effect.

Anyone point me in the right direction of how to achieve this? Is this particular sort of effect only achievable with outboard equipment or can I use Soundforge/FL Studio/Audition to recreate?

Cheers
Daymo

Phi'Zik

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know a vst in the cubase suite : BitCrusher -> u choose the bit quantize, the sampling freq and the method and it's sound nice with good settings like our old amiga.
I made my first beats on a Amiga 500, i keep a box of hundreds disk full of samples , does anyone know if it's possible to read those disk in my PC ?

exel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Phi'Zik said:
I know a vst in the cubase suite : BitCrusher -> u choose the bit quantize, the sampling freq and the method and it's sound nice with good settings like our old amiga.
I made my first beats on a Amiga 500, i keep a box of hundreds disk full of samples , does anyone know if it's possible to read those disk in my PC ?

Phizik, is that BitCrusher VST only for Cubase or can I use it in FL?

exel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3

Attachments

• bitcrusher.JPG
    bitcrusher.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 183

Phi'Zik

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it seems to make the same thing, do u try it ?
If FL can load VST, u can use cubase's bitcrusher in FL (copy the dll file in the FL's plugins folder)

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
let me use this oppourtunity to big up lewis parker. for those who dont know he is a UK emcee/producer with mad mad skills. that ghostface joint is nothing compared to some of his other beats. best producer ever from england IMO.

btw, he uses a Commodore Amiga still to this day.

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks Rythmikal - didn't realise he actually uses a Commodore Amiga. I thought he'd just processed the sounds. Gutted I got rid of mine recently. With a bit of tweaking that Bitcrusher plugin pretty much nails the sound I was looking for though.

Cheers
Daymo