Share your FX Processing tricks here.

• beat this! (may 1-2) signup begins in...

Please either simply vote YES or NO. Thank you.

• Total voters

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
So before we go any further Im going to post a quick poll on how many of you will be able to contribute to this thread in the way Im about to propose.

The main reason Im trying to keep the contributions narrowed down to a particular way is because I see more benefit in what this thread could have to offer to the rest of the community at a later date instead of something that just gets forgotten...

So heres what I propose:
(please vote in the poll on whether or not you will be able to do the following....)

1. Provide screen shots of your process
2. Provide step-by-step instructions with each screen explaining whats going on
3. Do you know how to upload an image to a image host such as imageshack?

Now granted this is a little more work then some of you are used to, so if thats the case either vote NO or use this thread as a resource for your mixing needs instead of dropping your 2 cents without any screens to go along with it if you want to contribute since thats really NOT the point of this thread.

The idea is simple: I see way more value in a thread that could offer visual feedback along with what your writing (kind of like a standard online tutorial) since this is how many people learn quicker.

SO FIRST, LETS GET EVERYBODY TO VOTE AND SEE IF THIS IS EVEN WORTH GIVING A GO, AND THEN WE'LL MOVE FORWARD.

Thanks everyone.
Steezo!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I wouldn't call it too complicated...I think we'll miss out on alot of good tips because of its complications and the time required to put into it, but there are cats that have the means to do what you want. Getting them to take the time will be another issue though. This is probally one of the better ideas that I've seen around here in a long time. Maybe you should go ahead and start it off and pray that someone will see the benefits and step up with you.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Well that was the point of the poll, so I could tell how many people would be able to handle this.

I suppose I could either do as u said and start it off, or we could just dump the thread and start a new one that is designed to just let people write down what they like to do.....just kinda makes it an ordinary thread again though.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I'm in. I already bust out youtube vids. I guess i can explain what I am doing and get feedback and give tips. I never really do that because I didn't feel qualified to give advice since I spend a majority of my time looking for advice.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Dope idea, maybe it could be narrowed down so people have less thinking to do? (More specific ie Widening) I'd do one specifically.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Well you guys get what Im proposing right? Maybe I didnt explain the idea well enough?.....

Its basically supposed to be a resource that the entire community can contribute to and use for sharing and picking up tips for interesting FX tricks/routing....I just think even though many of us can understand what others are offering as advice, etc. in written form, there are still a good handful of people that really will benefit by seeing how it works visually....Thats how I tend to learn quicker as well, even though Im fine with just reading.

Basically it would work like this:
**You go ahead and load up your DAW and populate all of your FX so that your routing etc is ready for taking screens.....
**Then you basically just take as many screens as necessary to help illustrate each step of the process...
**If you think only 1 screen is enough then thats fine.
**Then afterwards, you would either upload them to illmuzik or preferably upload them to a image host since then your afforded the opportunity to embed the image in a linear way along with the instructions...
**Once your images are all uploaded, you would write up step 1 in your post, then paste the url to the screen image illustrating that step, and do the same for each following step.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Maybe it would help if I provided some resources for people to do this first through both PC and MAC platforms?

Its really pretty simple.

On a mac, you already have the OS's screen cap function through SHIFT+APPLE+3, or SHIFT+APPLE+4 to take a screen of a specific area....The mac OS also comes with GRAB which is located in your utilities folder. This offers the same functionality basically.

I know on a PC you have the PRINTSCREEN button, but I cant remember if theres a program that comes with the OS to generate the screen once youve taken it?.....If not, I bet theres a free program so you can do just that though so Ill look into it.

******EDIT******

PC USERS
So it looks like as long as you got Windows Vista you should be good to go to take screens really quickly and easily.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/microsoft/ht/snippingtool.htm

MAC USERS
For mac users who need to learn how to take screen caps...
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturemac/ht/macscreenshot.htm

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
I'm in. I already bust out youtube vids. I guess i can explain what I am doing and get feedback and give tips. I never really do that because I didn't feel qualified to give advice since I spend a majority of my time looking for advice.
Me too man, but I figured this would be a great to pool all our resources together and also learn a few things in the process....Its a way to give back to the community but also learn from the community. And since FX processing is a large part of what really brings a track into the professional realm after recording good source files, I think as producers we all can greatly benefit from something like this.

IN RETROSPECT
I think maybe amending the idea of FX tricks with Processing in general as well complex routing tricks would be highly beneficial since they sort of co-mingle together.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Word, I know they do vids showing how they make their beats but Im trying to focus directly on routing schemes and fx processing. But I say if you want to make a video about it instead thats a totally welcome offering to the thread.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
So how many of you would rather contribute to something like this with your own youtube videos instead? Would that make it easier for the majority of those who want to chip in but dont want to hassle with making screenshots, etc?

Hollar back and let me know.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Meh...well I tried. Yo Fade, just delete this puppy.

Steez, this is a great idea man, don't give up on it. Believe me I know how frustrating it is when you have a great idea that will benefit others and people don't respond. But it appears thats the way it is nowadays, cats want the info but don't want to contribute anything. I've actually started going by how many times the thread is viewed over the responses to determine if its good or not. Im still working on my chain and my EQ'ing but I can post a snip of my chain and settings, I don't do videos yet. I'd leave it open to contribute whatever you can, perferably video but snips at minimum.

You've got more saying YES anyway so lets do it! It can't do anything but help those that choose to view it. (JMO)

members online