shifting/shuffling maracas

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo does anyone know how to get that maraca shuffling sound when programming their drums? Kinda like in Non Phixion's futurama as well as other beats I can't name right now? Do you gotta have the sound pre programmed or can you program a single shaker to do it using FL studio/ other drum samplers.

If you don't help me it means you hate children.

You don't hate children, do you?

C

Copenhagen

Manji my child. Always try and imagine how the real instrument would be played/recorded. In this case, a shaker/maracas would be shaked/moved towards the mic and back, which means the sound toward the mic will be louder than the shake away from the mic, meaning that every second shake should be lower than the other. I usually set the "lower" to about 75-80% of the "louder". Also, you can pan the 1st shake a little left, the 2nd a little right, the 3rd a little left and so on, or you can e.g. pan the 1st 6-8% left (or right) and then 2nd 12-14% left (or right) etc.
Also, you can play around with plotting them in in triplets, or moving each 3rd a little off (or every 2nd) etc etc...just play around with it and find what suits you, and let me know how it goes...

Now run down to the store and buy yourself an icecream ;)

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i was just about to recommend a similar technique.

basically, set them up in 16th notes and experiment with velocity and volume settings...

try settings of 100, 35, 60, 35 for one measure (four hits) and repeat for four bars. thats a basic and VERY effective way of doing it.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
you gotta use a technique called swing. you can adjust swing using fruity loops studo. use the help menu. i think its a little crossfader type dial above the pattern window.

do a search on illmuzik for drum theory.
theres some pretty good articles around about how to achive the thing called swing

members online