Shopping Your Beats

YoungDecadeZ

ill o.g.
Can anyone drop any producer management links or any address in which producers can shop there beats to ? because we are all hungry and need to find venues other then myspace and soundclick...you know what i mean ? thanks

bobhellbringer

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
peep sites like ballerstatus.net, hiphopgame.com, allhiphop.com and check out the underground stuff and on one of those sites they have an underground interview section with some of the artists dropping their links.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
YoungDecadeZ said:
Can anyone drop any producer management links or any address in which producers can shop there beats to ? because we are all hungry and need to find venues other then myspace and soundclick...you know what i mean ? thanks

In the words of goodie mob

get up, get out and get something!!

get out and shake some hands meet some folks on ur local sceen etc.. etc...

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
classic said:
In the words of goodie mob

get up, get out and get something!!

get out and shake some hands meet some folks on ur local sceen etc.. etc...

that's word, our forefathers done it by foot and so can we. posting tracks on the net is a convient way to get things heard but you got to get out there and grind fam. build relationships. network with other producers, artist, etc. find out who their inside connects are. if you're not the social type, get you a street team and have them do the foot work. you have to keep at it. it's not going to happen overnight...

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I ran into 9th Wonder a couple of months back in NC at the CIAA tournament and I asked him this exact question. He gave me two jewels: 1) you got to do a whole album. Folks don't look at the album jackets anymore like back in the day, so you have to brand yourself with the group (e.g., Little Brother). So find some local artists that you can work with to do their whole compilation (I'm working on that now) & 2) the beats gotta be HOT~! I know that sounds trivial but that's exactly what he said.

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
Wizdom said:
I ran into 9th Wonder a couple of months back in NC at the CIAA tournament and I asked him this exact question. He gave me two jewels: 1) you got to do a whole album. Folks don't look at the album jackets anymore like back in the day, so you have to brand yourself with the group (e.g., Little Brother). So find some local artists that you can work with to do their whole compilation (I'm working on that now) & 2) the beats gotta be HOT~! I know that sounds trivial but that's exactly what he said.

that's word!!! if you do whole albums and the overall songs are hot, cat's will check for you. don't just get an "mc so and so" to rhyme, find a solid artist. i can't stress that enough. the thing with instrumentals are a lot of artist will here them and not know what to do with it. not saying the tracks are wack, but they don't know which way to go with it. so you get an artist that you can share your vision with and come up with an album. hot beats and a dope, unique artist go hand and hand. when you get that combination, cats are going to be looking for you...

O

open mind

Word!

Wizdom said:

thats the way to go!!! muthafuckaz want a finished product to know if u got the hotness then they decide.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I did just that and now the mothaf***a is sittin on the album... lol can't win for losing I swear.

F**k a hot nigga, get a nigga with some grind and watch how much feedback you get. Its all about the grind. Even if you only do half the album.

LILW

ill o.g.
Wizdom said:

that's exactly the key to getting just yourself known in the music industry. Also, you gon have to step ya game up on yo production also, for instance, start investing in hardware and definitely invest in an MPC because it's protocol buddy. Next you need to look for a good keyboard, In my opinon get the Yamaha Motif ES 6/8... the only diff between those is one has 66 keys the other has 88... There are some other things you could do to step yo game up on yo beats but I don't feel like going into full detail...

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
LILW said:
that's exactly the key to getting just yourself known in the music industry. Also, you gon have to step ya game up on yo production also, for instance, start investing in hardware and definitely invest in an MPC because it's protocol buddy. Next you need to look for a good keyboard, In my opinon get the Yamaha Motif ES 6/8... the only diff between those is one has 66 keys the other has 88... There are some other things you could do to step yo game up on yo beats but I don't feel like going into full detail...

you don't neccessarily have to own an "mpc" or "motif" to have hot tracks. i know cats that don't own any of those that will crush a lot of dudes that do have those items. that's the problem now, everyone with an "mpc" and "protools" think they are producers. i'm not dogging the "mpc" and the "mo" because i own both of those. but, that's not why my production is good. it's because i worked at my production till my fingertips were blue. i own "reason" also. if i would have started out with that, i would have got the same results. the same goes for "reason" and "fruityloops". just because you got those, doesn't mean your a producer. it's the grind fam, not the equipment...

oh and the "motif 6" has 61 keys not 66...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
i agree with robbe lowe, it really isn't about what you have to make beats as long as the final product is dope. BUT, if you are takin cats to your spot to play them beats or they want to see your setup, having hardware seems to give a more respectable impression to those who dont know how things really work. Makes them feel like you are worth the money I guess.

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
i like havin a cheap setup, i think it shows more talent if u can make a good song without the stuff the big time producers use, and that ur not made of money, lol

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
i agree with robbe lowe, it really isn't about what you have to make beats as long as the final product is dope. BUT, if you are takin cats to your spot to play them beats or they want to see your setup, having hardware seems to give a more respectable impression to those who dont know how things really work. Makes them feel like you are worth the money I guess.

5th, you're right, i see your point and when i first started producing, my man told me the same thing. someone comes to your spot and sees a bunch of lights, keys, buttons, etc. it gives the impression that you know what you're doing. but, i've seen cases where cats would have this whole big setup and their tracks where not up to speed. (i don't like calling people's tracks "wack") you are right though. when people come by my crib and see the mpc 4000, the motif, etc. they already assume i'm doing big things. but, it still comes down to the final product. you made a good point though...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
yeah i know right? it's crazy, i got a decent setup going on myself but it all comes down to me using FL.

My angle nowadays is to show people songs that i've already done with others that showcases not only my beats, but my mixing skills as well as the recording quality ( I charge for all 3 of those services). I got a lil portfolio i'm buildin up of stuff i've done, but i'll show em that an they hear the quality that they dont have. then i'll do one mixing and recording for free over one of my betas( not to just everyone, just to some people i've done this with) an they hear what they will sound like over my beat, my mixing and me recording them. They are always amazed and that right there justifies my prices for them.

I think part of it is showing the artist the potential they can have over your work.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
5th Sequence said:
HAHA 5th you are so right. I wish I had kept my d8b for many reasons but thqts just one.
Even tho I never used it barely it always raised eyebrows and made people know I was serious.
When you pull up protools to the layman they ask so what kind of beats does that make? Or is that fruity loops?
LOL. Glad I am a eupiment packrat I can pull out an ass of other gear but I miss that board...