Showcase - April 4-10, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@2GooD Productions
1. Amapiano - Very nice man! I don't know much about this genre of music but this is definitely clean work. The vocals were a really nice touch. The only criticism is I feel like that bass instrument might be slightly off pitch, or perhaps the note selection is strange at times. Great work regardless
2. White Room - Nice job on this one. I really enjoyed the horns!

More boom bap this week

@2GooD Productions - Amapiano - nice vibe to this as soon as the drums came in had that flavour straight away. I like the vocals and piano sounds great. I feel the bass is spot on. This beat makes your whole body move :fire:

White room - Dope smooth beat and percussion, vocals worked in nicely especially the ‘dreamy’ (auto tuned) background vocals. All in the matrix eh

Both high quality productions here, nice work

Last edited:
@Rah.sool - 90’s Boom Bap, enjoying the drums here man but not feeling that kind of low rolling bass, feels muddy and takes away from the beat.
Part way through when you cut that out I can here the drums in all their glory Nice! Unfortunately they are missed for the most part.
Nice work again though (y)

Stoned Monk

Music & Chill
Battle Points: 16
@InsideOutBeats The choir and the synth in the end sound dope. Really like the beat! But I think it needs a cool bassline and some more power in the low end. However, thats a nice beat, really unique.

@ck beat First beat: The strings sound great, I like the battle vibe. The 808 is hard as fuck, even a little bit too dominant in my opinion, but thats a matter of taste. The drums sound really cool and the hihat rythm is dope!
Second Beat: This is impressive:D The 808 is super cool man! The choir as well. If I had made this beat, I had choosen another snare, but that is, again, just a matter of taste. Great work!

@Rah.sool Im not sure how I feel about that bass, is it from the sample and filtered? I would consider replacing it with a composed one. Or filtering it a little more. Nice chill beat though, I like everything else, I dont hate the bass, just think it has some sub sonics going on that dont sound so good.

I sampled from an old Amstrad computer game called Turrican (classic!) which then inspired the war of the worlds narrative

Will post feedback when I can

Listen to this back, listen to the balance between the kick and the snare, the kick is right up front where it should be, but the snare is sitting back, doesnt sound like the drums are coming from the same drum kit. I think that bass you have in there could be louder too to match the kick. The drums, especially kick could use a little humanisation too, or at least some swing.

@Stoned Monk I like this, nice composition. My only critique would be that it sounds a little muddy. Only a little. If you cut off more high end on the bass it might be less muddy.

nikwen

ILLIEN
And I roped a couple of random guys into recording stuff while doing the sampleflip and came up with this tonight.

Interesting! Cool composition of a lot of obviously different sounds. One consequence of that seems to be that sometimes notes sound a bit out of key. I like the mixing, and I think the sound selection on the snare is awesome! I also really like how you fitted the vocals on top of everything else. Fits really well together.

nikwen

ILLIEN
More boom bap this week

When I look for beats, I skip any that don't hook me in with their intro within the first 5-8 seconds. While the intro was super nice, the buildup was also super slow, and I would have probably skipped before the intro ended. In a way, I like to think about the intro as an ad for the rest of the song. I think it would make sense to focus more on that.

After the intro, the beat was super solid though. Chill boombap to inspire a great freestyle.

nikwen

ILLIEN
I sampled from an old Amstrad computer game called Turrican (classic!) which then inspired the war of the worlds narrative

Love the tension you build. I'd personally tone back the kick a bit. It's very loud, at least on my laptop speakers. The choir is great! I also love the swells at 1:30. Well done!

Interesting! Cool composition of a lot of obviously different sounds. One consequence of that seems to be that sometimes notes sound a bit out of key. I like the mixing, and I think the sound selection on the snare is awesome! I also really like how you fitted the vocals on top of everything else. Fits really well together.
talking of offkey, man you should hear the sung vocal without autotune, when I was recording I thought "fuck, what have I gotten myself into here", the singer invented some keys of his own i think.

nikwen

ILLIEN

A piano/orchestral beat I made last night. Thanks in advance for feedback!

Soft and smooth! Not sure what type of beat it's intended to be but I could totally hear that one playing on its own in a place like a cafe. Or during an emotional movie scene. The melodies and harmonies are perfect. I would have probably added more dynamics and more energy to it to make it rapable but other artists will prefer it so slow, melancholic and epic. If it's supposed to be for a vocalist, I think this beat would be perfect for something like an emotional pop ballad. That would be epic!

Thanks for feedback,
@Stoned Monk and @2GooD Productions, regarding the baseline I was in two minds as the actual sample from the Turrican game has bass in it but very low.

@2GooD Productions and @nikwen both of your picked up on the drums with each preference to kick or snare, will pay attention to that.

Drums un-quantised but will work on some swing.

Appreciate the feedback ILLIENS, exactly what I need (y)

Hi, everyone. I'm CK BEAT. Recently I've started to make my beats. Hope you have a time to check it ;)

@ck beat , Nice tracks,

New start - hard hitting, builds well, sample and choir vocal sit nice, great atmosphere to the beat

Dark ting - again I like the atmosphere you build here, picture some sinister hooded cult underground conjuring with a sacrifice! Personally I would tone that 808 down on this one slightly, but another good beat there (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online