Showcase - December 6-12, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBassRecords

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 74
More boom bap this week. I missed last week cause I was busy but i'm looking forward to hearing ya'lls beats. Thanks in advance for all feedback.

And keep in mind there's a beat switch about a minute in

This is dope but i feel the kick could have more punch , maybe try layer an other kick or maybe that's what you where going for . Anyway this is great and love the beat switch . Keep up that good work !

Showcase is popping this week, damn

@Rah.sool I really like this, it evolves and keeps moving. I really think the kick could use some more punch. Thats a big snare, would be nice if the kick matched it. Enjoyed listening to that. Also just seen the other comment about adding punch, you dont necessarily have to layer, you could boost around 60hz on the kick while cutting below around 40hz completely, also a boost around 800hz gives it some presence and helps it translate on devices with limited frequency range like mobile phones.

@DeadBassRecords Hard Trap. I like the way this makes use of the stereo field, very subtle strings, very nice. The track sounds very well mixed, a place for everything and everything in its place. My only criticism is it gets a little repetitive.
Kendrick Lamar Beat. Im seeing a style here, it strikes me with the hi hats first. This sounds more like a typical trap beat to me, nothing that really makes it stand out, it does stay interesting though, not as repetitive as the other one, I love the sound that comes in around 3 min.
Pop Smoke. I like this one a lot, it has a dark atmosphere about it, when you start chopping that synth, sounds dope. The filter sweep sounds dope too. Nice to see some creativity in a trap beat lol.

@Sole Element The Way We Feel. I really like the reversed samples, Im not really feeling the vocal chops tbh. Not sure if its a taste thing, but they seem a little over used. I think less would be more, but its just an opinion. I like the outro.
Goodnight And Go. This is really nice, sort of thing Id expect to hear on the radio. Could bring the vocal up a small touch. I also think it could use some more layers during some of the breakdowns. It seems like the breaks take up a considerable portion of the beat, would like to hear the proper part of the beat a lot more. But again, just an opinion.

@InnerThug This is good, the only thing letting it down is the actual sounds used. The glockenspiel type sound sounds good, the bass instrument sounds a bit "general midi" as does the brass, putting some medium hall reverb on the brass will help a little and maybe a bit of subtractive equing. Could maybe add some distortion to the bass instrument, might make it sound less general midi. They are the sounds that stood out most to me, a little reverb might help it come together a bit better maybe.

Heres mine,

Last edited:

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll be more mindful of kick punchiness going forward.

@DeadBassRecords I really like all of these. I particularly enjoyed the Pop smoke one. The way you made the sounds pulse in the background was sick. Awesome job man!

@Sole Element Nice job on both of these. You definitely made these songs your own! Nice SFX used on both songs. Great work.

@InnerThug Awesome Job man! Really like the vibe of this. Whatever sound you're using made me think of this soundtrack haha: . Great job man! Really interesting rhythms in your percussion.

@2GooD Productions Phenomenal across the board homie. Mix is real clean on all of these bro. I especially enjoyed that boom bap beat.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@InnerThug i like this one! That snap/clap you put in there really made my neck snap, nice touch with that. Mix was also clean.

@2GooD Productions I was thinking about using the vocals too much as well but I figured since no one was on the beat I’d let em rip lol. Tbh the first and third beat I wasn’t into all that much but the second joint is on point!! That snare is super clean and poppin and your mixes are always super clean. This beat to me has more of your signature sound from what I heard from you. Nicely done!

DeadBassRecords

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 74
Showcase is popping this week, damn

@Rah.sool I really like this, it evolves and keeps moving. I really think the kick could use some more punch. Thats a big snare, would be nice if the kick matched it. Enjoyed listening to that. Also just seen the other comment about adding punch, you dont necessarily have to layer, you could boost around 60hz on the kick while cutting below around 40hz completely, also a boost around 800hz gives it some presence and helps it translate on devices with limited frequency range like mobile phones.

@DeadBassRecords Hard Trap. I like the way this makes use of the stereo field, very subtle strings, very nice. The track sounds very well mixed, a place for everything and everything in its place. My only criticism is it gets a little repetitive.
Kendrick Lamar Beat. Im seeing a style here, it strikes me with the hi hats first. This sounds more like a typical trap beat to me, nothing that really makes it stand out, it does stay interesting though, not as repetitive as the other one, I love the sound that comes in around 3 min.
Pop Smoke. I like this one a lot, it has a dark atmosphere about it, when you start chopping that synth, sounds dope. The filter sweep sounds dope too. Nice to see some creativity in a trap beat lol.

@Sole Element The Way We Feel. I really like the reversed samples, Im not really feeling the vocal chops tbh. Not sure if its a taste thing, but they seem a little over used. I think less would be more, but its just an opinion. I like the outro.
Goodnight And Go. This is really nice, sort of thing Id expect to hear on the radio. Could bring the vocal up a small touch. I also think it could use some more layers during some of the breakdowns. It seems like the breaks take up a considerable portion of the beat, would like to hear the proper part of the beat a lot more. But again, just an opinion.

@InnerThug This is good, the only thing letting it down is the actual sounds used. The glockenspiel type sound sounds good, the bass instrument sounds a bit "general midi" as does the brass, putting some medium hall reverb on the brass will help a little and maybe a bit of subtractive equing. Could maybe add some distortion to the bass instrument, might make it sound less general midi. They are the sounds that stood out most to me, a little reverb might help it come together a bit better maybe.

Heres mine,

Preciate the feedback homie , that second joint is a Hit no doubt sound real good , other joints were good as well doe . Keep up the good work !

DeepTheta

@Rah.sool
I love this one. Definitely type of stuff I vibe to. I don't know a whole lot about mixing (yet) but I agree about the snare being a little much. Definitely knocks though and I was rocking my head back and forth the whole time haha.

@DeadBassRecords
Hard Trap Beat Instrumental : The intro is dope. I really like how all the instruments communicate well. The melody flows nicely and I feel like it pairs well with the stuff going on underneath.
Kendrick Lamar type beat: Good work on this one too. I like the panning of the synths in the last leg of the track. I'm listening on headphones and that kinda made the beat come alive that much more.
Pop Smoke type beat: Definitely like the synth work in this on too. The little piano breaks are cool to me. Seems like it's asking for some really deep, metaphorical, emotional lyrics if somebody was rhyming over this.
Kid Cudi x Jay Z type beat: Like the kick/snare pattern on this one. And the crash/ride cymbal being on the upbeats makes the song give that head bopping feel. Dope work on all these. Trap isn't in the upper echelon of stuff that I listen to, but I fix with these.
Eminem x Logic type and Sad instrumental : these two are knockin' too. The Eminem x Logic one is dope as hell when you added the stuff around the 2 minute mark and those wavy, pulsy type sounding synth sounds are kinda going in and out, back and forth. Not sure how to describe it lol but that pulled me in.

@Sole Element
The Way We Feel : Daayuuum dude. That was so good when the drums kicked in with those vocal chops! Excellent sample choices by the way. I like this one a lot.
Ariana Grande : This one is cool. I feel like the laser beam sounding things are a little heavy. Might just be my taste. The parts of the track flow and transition into one another real well.

@InnerThug
My Salsa: Definitely like the groove of this one. Wish I could give better feedback on the mixing aspect of things, but I'm still learning in that field myself.

@2GooD Productions
Straighten it Out : I was jamming to this one haha. Got stuck in my head a little bit too. I like it a lot.
Monumental: This one is a whole ass journey! All the strings jamming together are dope for sure.
Funky R&B Boom Bap : Just the sound of the layers in this track is phenomenal. Every piece of this recipe seems like it fit right in where it was supposed to in order to deliver a funky track. Diggin' this one too.

@InsideOutBeats
Best way I can describe this beat is fucking FAT haha. I dig it. It seems pretty simple, but you made it work really well. I'm learning too homie! Keep it up.

I'm hoping to have a beat or two cooked up enough that I'm confident in posting it soon lol. Wish I was more familiar with the mixing side of things so I could give more feedback on that front, but I'm still in the phase of watching countless YouTube videos and messing with my DAW until it kinda clicks a little more. Takes a lot of time for sure.

@DeepTheta, thanks man. Yeah I’m focusing on drums and beat structure before going too complex. It’s all practice and putting in the time as you say, listening and studying others and community’s such as Illmuzik. Look forward to your beats, upload and hopefully get some constructive feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.