Showcase - February 21-27, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
*resists the urge to play Dilla beat first*

Okay, So I've listened to both beats before leaving feedback...

Fonky Abduction - Doesn't quite hit the mark for me this one - probably because (spoiler alert!) the Dilla beat just blew my socks off. There's an off-beat snare that comes in too early and nowhere near anything else musically. The piano doesn't quite flow naturally either. There's just a bit in the middle where it upsets the rhythmic sound of the beat. The sample and drums in general I can't fault and with a bit of tinkering will give you a really nice boom bap beat!

Donut's in the Wind - Now, this is beautiful. Sample is perfect. Really nice. The drums come in and I'm like "Damn, I'd have like them to be a little lou- oh here they are!!" Nice filtering with the drums at the start, it actually works really well. The drums are perfect too. Really, so so good. I love this beat! Great work as always mate.

Here's another remix I just finished last night. Still rough around the edges as always but you get the vibe! feedback appreciated as always. Looking forward to hearing another @MR. MINESTATE remix from 2004 :geek:

nikwen

ILLIEN

The piano + guitar combo is groovy. Love the overall vibe. I wonder if it would sound a bit better if those two instruments were a bit less loud compared to the rest of the track though? (Maybe that's skewed by the cheap laptop speakers I was listening through though?)

Drums solid. Nothing to comment there.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@hosie Thanks for the feedback brother! Yea man this was kind of experimental haha. I played most of the piano and the sample was used sparingly. Definitely have some work to do on this style.

The Good People: Very nice job man. I really like the chops, drums and the overall mix. The only feedback I have is that it sounds like you put a highpass on the vocal, I would prefer a tad more bass on the vocals personally. But you may have made that decision based on how it was sitting over the chops. something to think about. Awesome job man!

@nikwen thanks for the feedback bud

Hey ya'll. Looking forward to hearing your beats/giving feedback this week. I got 2 this time. All feedback good/bad is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Electronic - Boom Bap Fusion

J-Dilla Style

Electronic- This is definitely different from the last joint I heard, but keeps that sound boom bap format. Smooth vibe. I like the warm bassline. The drum pattern is different than the "boom boom click" we hear in a lot of boom bap beats. Dope! The keys are on point. Love the "electronic" sounds.
J-dilla Style- Drums on point. Bass line- nice and warm like fresh oatmeal. I love the way the filter comes in around the verse part. Very Jazzy feel.

Fonky Abduction - Doesn't quite hit the mark for me this one - probably because (spoiler alert!) the Dilla beat just blew my socks off. There's an off-beat snare that comes in too early and nowhere near anything else musically. The piano doesn't quite flow naturally either. There's just a bit in the middle where it upsets the rhythmic sound of the beat. The sample and drums in general I can't fault and with a bit of tinkering will give you a really nice boom bap beat!

Donut's in the Wind - Now, this is beautiful. Sample is perfect. Really nice. The drums come in and I'm like "Damn, I'd have like them to be a little lou- oh here they are!!" Nice filtering with the drums at the start, it actually works really well. The drums are perfect too. Really, so so good. I love this beat! Great work as always mate.

Here's another remix I just finished last night. Still rough around the edges as always but you get the vibe! feedback appreciated as always. Looking forward to hearing another @MR. MINESTATE remix from 2004 :geek:

@hosie I had to listen to the original before I checked out the remixed version. I likes. It keeps the same spirit of the original. The vocals are aligned right. The drums are dope. Reminds me of joints I would listen to when the famous Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito show used to come on. The only thing I would say it could use a pocket during the hook part of the song. Other than that, dope. That real hip hop vibe.

hosie

ILLIEN
@hosie Thanks for the feedback brother! Yea man this was kind of experimental haha. I played most of the piano and the sample was used sparingly. Definitely have some work to do on this style.

The Good People: Very nice job man. I really like the chops, drums and the overall mix. The only feedback I have is that it sounds like you put a highpass on the vocal, I would prefer a tad more bass on the vocals personally. But you may have made that decision based on how it was sitting over the chops. something to think about. Awesome job man!

@nikwen thanks for the feedback bud
Thanks Rah! Appreciate the feedback. You're bang on with the high-pass. It's something I often find myself doing. It's sort of become a signature thing as I have my presets set for most of my tracks now.

@MR. MINESTATE Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback as always. Interesting you mentioned about the pocket as I actually did that a few times but resorted back to the guitar part as I felt it drooped the rhythm / tempo too much. Might try and look at it again. Cheers!

hosie

ILLIEN
The piano + guitar combo is groovy. Love the overall vibe. I wonder if it would sound a bit better if those two instruments were a bit less loud compared to the rest of the track though? (Maybe that's skewed by the cheap laptop speakers I was listening through though?)

Drums solid. Nothing to comment there.
Thanks @nikwen . Sorry I missed this feedback from the other day. Really appreciate the constructive feedback. I think you could be right about lowering them ever so slghtly but yea I doubt the laptop speakers help. I tend to listen to all of beats on headphones, then phone up loud and then in car. Try to get the best mix from that and it's usually decent. Cheers!

hosie

ILLIEN
I normally try to avoid putting up more than 1 beat in a week but I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this one.

Nothing here yet.

I know the intro is a tad long but there was a spoken word part here which I have removed as it is too recognisable. I plan to replace with a more original or lesser known segment. I am looking at this potentially being an intro on my EP, so any feedback / thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Hosie

Thanks Rah! Appreciate the feedback. You're bang on with the high-pass. It's something I often find myself doing. It's sort of become a signature thing as I have my presets set for most of my tracks now.

@MR. MINESTATE Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback as always. Interesting you mentioned about the pocket as I actually did that a few times but resorted back to the guitar part as I felt it drooped the rhythm / tempo too much. Might try and look at it again. Cheers!
Keep up the good work bro!

I normally try to avoid putting up more than 1 beat in a week but I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this one.

Nothing here yet.

I know the intro is a tad long but there was a spoken word part here which I have removed as it is too recognisable. I plan to replace with a more original or lesser known segment. I am looking at this potentially being an intro on my EP, so any feedback / thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Hosie
@hosie I rapped before I started making beats. I have more beats than anything else though. This is the type of beat I could write some bars to. Politically conscious type raps.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Hey ya'll. Looking forward to hearing your beats/giving feedback this week. I got 2 this time. All feedback good/bad is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Electronic - Boom Bap Fusion

J-Dilla Style

Both beats have very nice melodies that work really well together.

I really like the bassline on the J-Dilla type beat.

Very good stuff.

Kane the MOD

Great vibe. Came out really dope.

Kane the MOD

Nothing here yet.

Thanks
Hosie
I think the intro is dope and I like how you flipped the sample. Only thing I would work on is the ending of the beat.

There is something about the snare... I don't know what it is (probably just me). Did you try to pitch it down 1-2 semitone and compare it to the original?

Keep up the good work.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
If @MR. MINESTATE you rapped before producing please continue as Hip Hop needs more adults rapping. Not that there aren't any but Hip Hop has an aversion to maturity.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
The @MR. MINESTATE part of me that likes/loves Hip Hop isn’t afraid to critique it.

Status
Not open for further replies.