Showcase - January 1-7, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
@2GooD Productions thanks for the feedback I appreciate it! Yeah I'm originally from Leyton east London but have been in woking Surrey for a while now. I'm looking to do something music related around my area but stuck for ideas :/ not much of an urban atmosphere around here! You been in London a while?
Yeah, been in Edmonton and Enfield all my life. My girlfriend lives in Old Coulsdon just south of Croydon, so Im going to be moving down there at some point in the future. Much better quality of life down there. Not too many rappers around here that are up to my high standards, been doing a bit of bashment as there are plenty of bashment artists around here. Im just not quite at home with bashment though, my heart is in hip hop. I prefer working with US rappers, Im biased like that.

NakedStar

Rythymologist
Battle Points: 90
Yeah, been in Edmonton and Enfield all my life. My girlfriend lives in Old Coulsdon just south of Croydon, so Im going to be moving down there at some point in the future. Much better quality of life down there. Not too many rappers around here that are up to my high standards, been doing a bit of bashment as there are plenty of bashment artists around here. Im just not quite at home with bashment though, my heart is in hip hop. I prefer working with US rappers, Im biased like that.

Yeah fair enough I feel you mate. I do a little bit of rapping myself not a great deal atm I tend to just produce beats. Here check this out. The mastering isn't great but it' one of my most recent recordings
Listen to Propaganda.mp3 by Nak'd Star #np on #SoundCloud

Heres a couple from me. Firstly heres my second attempt at the sample flip, I think it came out okay, but wouldnt mind some feedback.
Nothing here yet.

And also a collab or rather I sampled one of his beats, I did on here a few years back with KDVS, is he still around? Well he really loved the track, hence why its had so many plays.

So something old and something new, I just hope I can get some inspiration to get back in the zone, been out of the game so long Im still not quite there.

Yeah fair enough I feel you mate. I do a little bit of rapping myself not a great deal atm I tend to just produce beats. Here check this out. The mastering isn't great but it' one of my most recent recordings

your vocal could really do with some doubles, it really does make a difference, especially to make certain words stand out. The beat is dope, you have a bit of an accent, Im detecting oop norf somewhere. Its a cool track though, and like you say, with a bit of mixing, it could be really polished.

NakedStar

Rythymologist
Battle Points: 90

your vocal could really do with some doubles, it really does make a difference, especially to make certain words stand out. The beat is dope, you have a bit of an accent, Im detecting oop norf somewhere. Its a cool track though, and like you say, with a bit of mixing, it could be really polished.

I was born in Plymouth near Cornwall I got brought up with parents with accents haha thanks for the advice I nee to figure out vocals etc a bit more

I was born in Plymouth near Cornwall I got brought up with parents with accents haha thanks for the advice I nee to figure out vocals etc a bit more
The vocal itself was okay, but the lack of backing doubles and adlibs just makes it hard for the vocal to stand on its own, IMO.
Just stick with it, you will get it in the end. Its a fine balance when adding adlibs and backing doubles, keep it subtle, and it makes a huge difference, just dont want to over do it, but its fun to mix adlibs and doubles as you can play around with the panning and create more depth.

Joe

Battle Points: 1
Heres a couple from me. Firstly heres my second attempt at the sample flip, I think it came out okay, but wouldnt mind some feedback.
Nothing here yet.

And also a collab or rather I sampled one of his beats, I did on here a few years back with KDVS, is he still around? Well he really loved the track, hence why its had so many plays.

So something old and something new, I just hope I can get some inspiration to get back in the zone, been out of the game so long Im still not quite there.

Pretty dope beat like the transition on the keys. Like when the trumpets come in on the hook.

NoWairMan

Battle Points: 6
@NoWairMan I'm really feeling that! I like the fact it's different and it's a shame that wasn't entered i find it refreshing to bring new things to the table. Fair play

@NoWairMan that's exactly what I do with my instrumentals. Always have done. I work with a couple mcs including myself making tracks out of my beats
Thank you for answering my concern... I also do it as a kinda journal. Not just on SoundCloud (because they could shut-down tomorrow, like some blogger/journalist has predicted a couple times a month, since 2015. =D ) I screenshot it, when finished and file it away. It’s encouraging to find out something you initiated on your own (common sense/logic) was a step in the right direction. I read a bunch on structure, to find out there really is no structure. Lol. There’s ‘guidelines,’ (rondo sonata, verse-chorus, 32 bar, etc...) but composing music really is about breaking new ground. It’s all in your phrasing. And, there’s no grey zone. You’re either structured, on time and count, or through-composed, like live Jazz. (I love live Jazz) Also, the musical terminology can make your head swim. I’m all for a articulating eloquently; I’m as verbose as they come, but having like 4-6 terms for the exact same thing can be downright frustrating. (We were raised on Scrabble. =)
Apparently I’m coming at this whole venture back-@$$wards. I have never spun records (started with a DAW and a LaunchPad), only played the bass clarinet (thanx mom; hehe) in middle school, and am now writing full songs and chopping them into beats. Been hella interesting/entertaining, for sure and always challenging; never dull. This beat, I’m about to share, is my first actual produced ‘beat.’ I still recorded it as a full song first, because that’s what I know. But, since becoming a member of this community, and it’s treasure trove of knowledge, I actually wrote this one with the intention of chopping it up. Anyway, thanks again. You helped make my day. =)

My first (technically) beat:

Last edited:

NoWairMan

@Chad love how the vocals come in on the beat.
@Klypse I'm loving that soulful sound and good job on the drums
@NoWairMan Too bad you couldn't get that beat into the competition because it is dope!! Love those sounds!!
@2GooD Productions I thought you did a good job with the sample flip, the beat is nice and fleshed out!!

Thank you for the complement. I really appreciate it, @Matt-D. It’s still my favorite trap tune I’ve written... Here’s the full track;

“No,Toto. This ain’t Kansas... Now, where were those poppies.!?”
~ Trap-Queen Dorothy (lol-just a j/k-oPiAtEsSuCk)
192 bars ~ 5:24 m | key: G#m

Intro. = 16 bars
A) PrVrs. = 8
——-Vrs. = 16
B) Hk. = 8 (b1)
——-Hk’. = 8 (b2)
A) PrVrs. = 8
——-Vrs. = 16
B) Hk. = 8
——-Hk’. = 8
C) Brdg. = 16
A) PrVrs. = 8
——-Vrs. = 16
B) Hk. = 8
——-Hk’. = 8
——-Hk’’. = 8 (b1 + b2)
Out. = 24
Coda = 8 (w/ fade-out)

Last edited:

NoWairMan

@NoWairMan I'm really feeling that! I like the fact it's different and it's a shame that wasn't entered i find it refreshing to bring new things to the table. Fair play

Here’s the full track, from my ‘attempted’ beaTThis submission. No licensing BS... Do what you feel with it... If someone puts words to it, I’d love to hear it. =)

“No,Toto. This ain’t Kansas... Now, where were those poppies.!?”
~ Trap-Queen Dorothy (Just a j/k, BTW; oPiAtEsSuCk)

192 bars ~ 5:24 m | key: G#m
Intro. = 16 bars
A) PrVrs. = 8
——-Vrs. = 16
B) Hk. = 8 (b1)
——-Hk’. = 8 (b2)
A) PrVrs. = 8
——-Vrs. = 16
B) Hk. = 8
——-Hk’. = 8
C) Brdg. = 16
A) PrVrs. = 8
——-Vrs. = 16
B) Hk. = 8
——-Hk’. = 8
——-Hk’’. = 8 (b1 + b2)
Out. = 24
Coda = 8 (w/ fade-out)

NoWairMan

New trap "instrumental" (If you count the bell-pluck as an instrument)
:woot:

I like the plucks, with that rolling bass line, and tappy, channeled hi-hat.
Counts as an instrument in my book. Some folks take that darn seriously; check it: =D
2AEB83CE-4142-4242-8487-9CF5E6F5E4FF.jpeg

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@Joe love the sample choice and the drums are balanced very well and they do not hit too hard which makes this sound extremely clean.

Baasta Beats

Battle Points: 20
@NakedStar Three decent beats, my favorite is on slaught, the atmosphere is right up my street, Id say this track seems more like a grime instrumental than the others, due to the tempo. But decent work all round. Are you from the UK and if so where abouts, Im in Edmonton, North London myself.

@Matt-D Nice video, really like the chord progression, and a dope track at the end, cant stand chris brown but the beat is dope.

@DEEZ BEATZ Really nice production and mixing on both tracks, that emcee on the second track sounds like one of our artists.. JC Money.

@KuKo Really not feeling that saw beat. But the other two are okay, Im not sure if its just me, but there seems to be some issues with the sounds meshing together, not sure if its the mix or the sounds used. I noticed it on all three tracks.

@Baasta Beats Love the drums on falling. Do you use reason? Just wondering. Honey is dope as fuck, once again great drums, this shit is right up my street. Love the oldskool boombap feel. Not sure about the filtered drum part. Infinity is dope too, really like your style. Welcome to illmuzik, good to have you on board.
Thanks so much for the feedback man!! I do not use reason, I use FL studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online