Showcase - January 2-4, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dirty Delores - Nice strings, pads, funky bass and drums. The synth that came in during the chorus was a bit too much for me. Maybe turn down the level a bit. Otherwise, good beat.
The Robbery - I loved this beat from the second I pressed play. Love the swing on the drums. I'm still head bobbin'. Again nice strings. The piano sounds cool also. If anything, I think you can tweak the melody to get it a bit more sinister sounding for a beat titled "The Robbery". For example, experiment with a different piano riff for the verses instead of just walking the keys. Nice beat, overall.

My track...

Peace \/
chisel316

Chisel. Thanks for the feedback.
I really like the drums in your beat, it really helps to achieve the "faux-sampled" sound. Nice instrumentation too. Im not sure about the parts where it goes silent, seems a bit abrupt, maybe ease the silence in a bit, but thats just my opinion. Just wondering, do you use vsts for the sounds?

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
@ 2 good- the robbery- that bass is sooo clean so dope, i love the samples too, those drums are amazing, this is a crazy dope beat i love it! sounds perfect. i love around 1:24 the piano's and all that so sick.
dirty dolores- i love the drums and the samples amazing, the bass is super funky, and real clean. so dope!
@Chisel136- dam fresh i love the drums and bass and that eirie like horn then the xylophone samples or what ever they are, sounds so rugged and clean at the same time, so sick!

this is a beat i made on my mpc1000 ive only been workin with it for a bout a week so bare with me on simplicity lol...

http://soundcloud.com/just_ripe/the-infiltration

HDProduction

ill o.g.
@justripe damn now you got me haha. i love the sample u used in this. i can def say its a turkish sample. beat sounds freaking hot man.i love those oriental style beats man. nothings left maybe use a better bass but anyways! keep doing your thang man.
might other people show me some love

Name: ..:: Present Beat ::..

Listen : http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11313456

Watch: [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdyakFan9ow&lc=rtYj-AiAQ1OaI5W2bOQSfxX6UdOZtxhHdU6LgL7_T8Q&feature=inbox[/ame]

Download : http://www.soundclick.com/hdproduction

Rate, Comment, Download, Subscribe, be a Fan.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
@ 2good dolores was too synthy for me
but I loved the synthiness in the robbery it touched my spaghetti western zones and was actually inspirational, bout ta finish "who's Crying"

chisel only thing I didn't like was the keys, maybe if t hey were a little lower in the mix, make me look for them a lil.. everything else, tight work.

jusripe the infiltration, I love how you freaked the sample thru the intro. I gotta tell ya I was a lil disappointed you didn't just let the drums stomp thru the track on some 91-96 shit, and when that female started speakin foreign I wanted them stomp drums even more...
I set that aside and listened to it for what it is and its still nice, but I feel you might be able to drop the bassline out of it, it doesn't mesh with the other sounds in my opinion. listening I enjoy it more when the bass is out. pretty good shit, I played thru a bunch of ya joints and linked up a couple days ago, I only follow ppl whose music I really like. you got some good shit...

HD
I'm not a fan of the style. It definitely sounded like it would sell and it showed crisp production and other winning traits, but it didn't move me personally.
sorry, I'm not the one to criticize this beat.I don't know enough about the sound.

and now without further ado
Firewalker
http://soundcloud.com/molotov-the-industry/firewalker-king-360-3

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
@2G - Dope and dope. I liked both joints. I thought they both were a great balance of 90's hip hop with a touch of todays sounds. I'm really glad to see you back making dope beats.

@Chisel - I liked your beat but I wasn't crazy about the parts without much going on. I thought you could have done a little more and still left room for a MC. What I really liked a lot was at the end of the song when the drums dropped out, I could hear the imperfections in your chops where as during the song I couldn't. Thats classic!

@JustRipe - You have come sooo far with your beats and sound quality. This is a dope beat and the right MC could rip this. I like the vocal sample, I like the construction, everything ties in together in my headphones. Good job!

@HDP - I'm no fan of synths, but I understand that a lot of hip hop has synths so I can't knock them. This beat isn't my style at all BUT I fuk'n luv it! This joint is dope. I like everything about it...drums bang, snares are hitting, and those synths fit and make a dope melody.

@odbarq - nice beat....hahaha ok j/k. What I like about your material is that it's just different. Illmuzik is predominately a boom bapp site and to hear stuff that isn't a twist on the norm is very refreshing to me. Different can also mean 'good' depending on what flavor you like OR if you just enjoy a change, then variety is bliss. Considering that all these songs are uploaded in mp3 format, touching on sound quality is almost a waste of time but everything sounds ok. I liked the dropouts, I liked the theme...

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
I haven’t posted up here in a while so I guess im due for one. First sampled song I’ve made in a long time

http://soundcloud.com/diskrete/ride

Feedback

2good: I feel the same way just about the same way Dac feels about your joints, I love the vibe of them

Chisel: Smooth sound, laidback, and real mellow, pretty nice drums too, love the jazz sample

Jusripe: Love the middle eastern sound, pretty good for a “simple beat” on the mpc in my opinion, bass sounds like it may have just a little too much reverb on it but its still cool

HD: Real nice track, I’m a huge fan of synths and strings. I think a lot of the crashed are too loud for the mix, I feel like they are overpowering the song, other than that this is on point

Odbarq: Sounds like a urban horror beat, or for someone shooting an “in a mental hospital” movie seen. Good beat, definitely different from what most people are putting out, everything flows together nicely too. The vinyl crackling on the kick fits real well in this too, nicely done

drex

superpimp trillionaire
horror mental hospital, YES... thats exactly what I wanted
btw thanks to all for the feedback its super useful.

Ride is dope. I have a trained affinity for brutish/cinematic sampling, so the intro had me. synth tunes don't really do it for me, but this one had a very strong theme and didn't sound "heard already".. smooth track but it will eat a smooth rapper, you gotta have a voice and you gotta have some style ta rock this joint, nice. I like beats that put weak emcees in their place.

know what? I can do without the scratch towards the end.
and I would drop the pad when the trumpet(?) comes in at 1:06
FAR be it from me to deny you your art so it is what it is..
Peace

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Chisel. Thanks for the feedback.
I really like the drums in your beat, it really helps to achieve the "faux-sampled" sound. Nice instrumentation too. Im not sure about the parts where it goes silent, seems a bit abrupt, maybe ease the silence in a bit, but thats just my opinion. Just wondering, do you use vsts for the sounds?

I've been rockin' NI Maschine and Komplete 8 since the Summer, so all my new beats are exclusive to Native Instruments VSTs except for the effects and drums. I hear ya about the silence. I usually just drop out one part and not the whole thing like I did in this track. I'll definitely go back to just dropping out pieces and not everything! Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's much appreciated!

More comments for y'all...

JustRipe - Nice sample. Maybe try tightening up the kick and snare in contrast to the hihats. I like the swing during part of the beat, but then when it changes up, it loses that swing. Nice work overall.

odbarq - Love those samples. Love the dirty drums. This beat hits hard! The sample gets a bit repetitive, but beside that this is a great beat. Great job!

diskrete - Great beat. I love how all the pieces just fit into place. Nice use of the sonic spectrum. Love how wide the strings and horns are. Lookin' forward to hearing more from you.

Muszolini

I like beats.
Battle Points: 76
Ok i think i need to serious step my game up, i see a few artists with some bad ass kits.

Feedback

2GooD Productions.

The Robbery - feeling this beat, when i saw the title i thought of either uncle murda or rza, but i agree with chisel about getting the "The Robbery" vibe, i was feeling more emotional.

Dirty Delores - straight funkness, maybe a few crashes or chymes in there wold give it some more character.

Chisel.
the drums are sounding completely on point. i would loved of heard maybe some jazzy snaps inbetwee the basslines. but good work man.

JustRipe.

that mediterranean sample went in sweet, maybe a few orchestral piano keys in there to give it some hard emotional rhythm.

HDProduction.
that beat is good, but the major problem to these type of sounds and drum kit rhythms, is going Overdrive, Just like Autotune went, i love Autotune, but when Everyone jumps on it, you cant really know whos Dope and whos Just random.

but the beat is smooth, if you used other synth sounds i think it would stand out alot, thats just my guess, but i like the flow of it.

dacalion.

THAT FIREWALKER BEAT IS GRIMEY!!! STOP IT! Dont know what to say but i like your style, very refreshing.

diskrete.

when the track hitted 1:06 i felt like james bond. but that sharp sound behind it, felt abit over powering it caught my attention way to much than it should of for me, but other than that this beat bangs.

CaptainHook

here are two beats i made on fl

http://soundcloud.com/lowlyfe/blazed-midi

http://soundcloud.com/lowlyfe/mns_project

2good. im feelin ur tracks man they god that chill out vibe. and the beats are pretty clean. sampled?

chisel. love the beat. goes hard. the bassline is funky as hell. composition is on target. really good track overall. props!

justripe. intro sample is insane!! flip is tight too but i would wanna hear that first sample on beat. bass is tight and that snare is beast. feelin ur hiphop style man.

hd. clean as hell! the music is really nice. i think the brass sounds kind of plastic (kno what im sayin). feelin those effects u added. really dope though

odbarq. yeah man this beat goes hard. using them dark samples and the vinyl sound on the drums is beast . thats wassup!

diskrete. lovin that sample you used. @ 0.44 the violin is tiiiiight and the beat is on targed. feelin that outro too!

Muszolini. that chorus is mad. kind of melancholic melody. i think u should change that snare. overall thats a nice sample you put out! peace

drex

superpimp trillionaire
optimus leave everything as it is and get a female singer, and make her cry these vocal parts, they must be cried not sung, the synth voice is draggin the track. this would be the ultimate serial killer "I dont think I did anything wrong, what is everybody staring at?" track...

captain hook, that mns project is straight like " X to the Z-i, clips like the C-i, a dont play, I'll ruin ya day... thick funk bouncin all over the track. dope.
tho it sounds kinda heard already, I like it a lot. don't know exactly why...

I liked blazed too but not as much, until the third or fourth play, makes me wanna post up my soufeast joint... cause I keep sayin how I don't like synths but really, I use em too, it's just the application I think...telll me what yall think about this one...
SOL NAQ
http://soundcloud.com/molotov-the-industry/school-of-lord-naq-08-2

Valmont

Battle Points: 2
2G - "Delores" - This made me want to reply to the thread, it caused a strong reaction in me. This should be in a how-to on how to use the sub-bass well without overdoing it. The drums are awesome, how much swing is that? I also like the intro ... kick, snare, then sub. While those are great, I really dislike the hook synth (@0:58). I'd redo that with a completely different instrument that has a lot of decay.

Chisel - "Faux" - Let the other instruments breath a bit, the drums are a little overpowering. I can see why you did that though because the drums are great and have a cool raw feel. When you drop out elements I agree with a previous poster that it's a little abrupt so I'd try at least keeping a hi hat in there.

JustRipe - "The Infiltration" - Great sample. Cool beat. Harder drums.. they don't knock quite how I like in hip-hop with that over-compression. Specifically a really tight, layered snare would sound great. Again, very cool beat.

odbarq - "Firewalker" - It's clearly meant to be an instrumental track, I guess I'd say it needs to go in more directions if it's going to stay as-is. One thing I like about RJD2 is how much happens in a track (who I am reminded of when listening to this, btw). I very much like the sound of it, wasn't what I expected in the best sense.

diskrete - "Ride" - Really smooth. Great mixing of the brass, the horns sound perfect. The scratch @ 3m18s sounds like the record's skipping and needs to segue more/be longer. Really solid beat, good hi-hat also. This beat is so solid there's almost nothing I can say except maybe add some modulation or a side-chain to the full strings & kick to keep the strings from feeling like they're droning. When it first started I was like, "Ooo what nice sounds! I hope it doesn't fall apart." It did not disappoint.

CaptainHook - "Blazed" - This is very solid, but when it started out and I was immediately like "I do not like this one bit" but then once the drums and everything else came in I really enjoyed it. I also really enjoyed when the beat breaks down @ 1m55s and at the end. I was just so surprised I liked the beat this much, and I think the issue is that synthy keys sound cheesey when they're not backed with anything. It's also too fast for an intro. So I'd intro by dropping what's currently there and add something like what you have in your breakdown in the middle/end of the track, which sound awesome.

CaptainHook

optimus leave everything as it is and get a female singer, and make her cry these vocal parts, they must be cried not sung, the synth voice is draggin the track. this would be the ultimate serial killer "I dont think I did anything wrong, what is everybody staring at?" track...

captain hook, that mns project is straight like " X to the Z-i, clips like the C-i, a dont play, I'll ruin ya day... thick funk bouncin all over the track. dope.
tho it sounds kinda heard already, I like it a lot. don't know exactly why...

I liked blazed too but not as much, until the third or fourth play, makes me wanna post up my soufeast joint... cause I keep sayin how I don't like synths but really, I use em too, it's just the application I think...telll me what yall think about this one...
SOL NAQ
http://soundcloud.com/molotov-the-industry/school-of-lord-naq-08-2

thanks for the feedback valmont n odbarq! yeah man i love synths. synths n bells lol
im feel this sol naq beat ! synth is dope. but after 0.14 sounds like u got too many synths playin. beat is hard as f*ck!! props

i checked ur other tracks man ur drums are doooope man and that 'when the time is right' beat is insane

Thanks for all the feedback, I agree with anyone that said the synth hook doesnt work, I have to agree. Im also a bit surprised that people like the mixing. Because my proper studio monitors are all packed away and these tracks were mixed on £19.99 desktop pc speakers. I honestly dont have any clue as to how well the beats are mixed, and really must have gotten lucky. The name for "The Robbery" is just a reference name because I sampled a track called "The Robbery" its just to let me know in future if anyone asks for that beat I know exactly where it is. I have had people ask for beats I have named differently only to not be able to find the source files when needed.
All my tracks are a mixture of samples and composition, using reason 5, to those that wondered. More feedback on the way.

JustRipe. Great sample, Ive been looking for some of these sorts of samples lately, that arabian middle eastern sort of sound. I think all the changeups work well. This is a dope beat.

HD. This is really on some rnb real soft type vybe, maybe Usher or something. I think it works really well for that purpose. I would like to hear a bassline on there, the only real bass in the track is the kick.

odbarq. This has an epicness to it, but at the same time it needs to be polished. I think it could use some more change ups because when it changes up for the end at 2:45 its sounds really dope. Less dropouts and more change ups IMO.

Diskrete. I really like this, the more I hear where its going and it builds up the more I like it. Yep its still getting better and better. I think the bassline could be more prominent and the kick too. Really dope beat, Im feeling this a lot. This is how I try to make beats with all the layers complimenting each other, you have done it really well. Good to see you still posting good shit after all these years.

Muszolini. I really like that vocal choral sample, the added percussion works well, I think what would work really well would be if you added a snare when the bassline drops, maybe also hi hats and just bring the hiphopness to life. It could then go on a bit longer and changeup some. Dope choir.

CaptainHook. Blazed. Im liking this, great composition. Sounds really polished the variations work great. I think the bass could be harder. My favorite track of this showcase.
MNS Project. Another dope composition, using classical instruments, I tend to do the same with reason 5. Again I think the bass could go a little harder. The "Dre/gangsta" synth is great.

This has been a great showcase so far, what a great start to the year, and welcome to all the new members. Some great beats so far.

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
@Odbarq - I feel you on the scratch at the end, I felt I needed to put something there but didn't know what, and I have been thinking about lowering the synths at 1:06, the do seem to be overpowering the beat

More Feedback

Muszolini: ......Fire....enough said. Waiting to hear the finished project

CaptainHook:
Blazed is composed well, love the effects and separation of the bells, I think the bass should be a little louder, not much though, it kind of sounds shadowed in the background a bit. Other than that good beat.
MNS definitely sounds like a west coast track that Xzibit or WC would hop all over. Good composition, commercial ready, really don't know what else to say

Odbarq: School of Lord NAQ is also different. I think some of the drums (specifically the toms) are too loud and they sound distorted at points, I like the synths, sounds Arabic, don't know where this beat would fit in the world, maybe in a fighting game or scene in the middle east. It's pretty cool though.

Muszolini

I like beats.
Battle Points: 76
appreciate the feebacks, will take them all on-board and and see what my ears can catch.

CaptainHook.

MNS_PROJECT - Dude,dont see this the wrong way, this can fit so perfect in a new friday movie, in a scene where its just motion no talking "goons linking up and rolling" all in black n white. like somebody gonna get hydrolicated the f out!

BLAZED - When i heard the intro to this, i was thiking a sub crash would bring me into the beat, everything floats, besides that, i loved the flute @2:33 i wasnt expecting that.

odbarq.

School of Lord NAQ 08 .2 - this has a desert grunge dubstep vibe to my ear. a smooth bassline would go hard with that, nothing long, just like some random attacks. good shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online