Showcase - January 24-30, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
Ive updated the mix on this...

@Sole Element This second beat really on an rnb vibe again. I like this one more than the other, its more cohesive, the only thing that stands out to me that I dont like is the snare, seems a bit wishy washy if that makes any sense.

@Nfinity beats the hi hats are a little out front with this and it sounds a little dry. I like the kick, I would like the snare to be a bit more upfront, but thats my personal taste. The snare just seems a bit far back compared to the hat and kick. The breakdown was a nice little touch.

@Manfreezey this is dope, I like this. Really like the drums and low end.

@Memento Beats Can honestly say this doesnt sound anything like you. I agree with @Hadoq , it could use some movement in the sounds, they are static. I would try to get a more analog sound from the sounds so that they evolve and change, even if only subtly. Sounds a little dry too, Id add a touch more reverb. The frequency filter changup you have, I think the main synth could use some subtle filter sweeping to give it more movement.

listening to the beat, I like the overall mix, drums are hitting.
my issue is with the orchestral elements, IMO, if you are doing orchestral, you want either sampled and chopsped stuff from recordings, or try to get it as realistic as you possibly can, which is usually a TON and a half of work, but worth it (although it's a skill that has to be worked on to really sound good)

brass wise, cinebrass is pretty good for kontakt, and berlin strings / berlin woodwinds are very realistic also, they're huge banks (and pricey), these are the ones I really like. But it's always such a hassle to get every articulation as perfect as you can for it to sound realistic enough, but it's never really perfect in the end, even tho you can spend hours or days on it.
still good fun tho :)

unrealistic can sound good too, but you really have to own that unrealistic thing and run with it, can't go halfway. Maybe try emulations of vintage string synths, you can get really nice results with these.

I like the overall mood and energy, the structure, not much to say really, you're doing a lot of music, putting it up for feedback, that's always a good way to make fast progress, regardless of how long you've already been doing it.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
I like the intro. Then the drums come in and it feels like the RZA himself crafted the drumloop. The whole 36 Chambers feeling in your face. The soul sample blends nicely in and I like the variations throughout the track. I was thinking about sharing one of my beats but after your track I might go back to practice again.
More boom bap as always. Thanks in advance for all feedback, i'll get ya'll back on those in a few days. Looking forward to hearing what you guys cooked up.

hosie

ILLIEN
@Rah.sool This is quality from the get go. The sample intro with the cassette insert is a really nice touch. Got the drum break bang at it. The sample shines through at the right parts and is executed really well. THEN the bassline kicks in at 40 seconds and just takes it up another level. 10/10 boom bap beat for me.

iamcbf

Battle Points: 1
Hi all, sorry I missed a few feedbacks on last week's thread so I'll post them there along with the new ones

@jaakkopenttilae you guys are good, but this isn't my jam. it feels like it's more a showcase of your skills than an actual thought out, refined track production. I think with more intent towards message, groove, vibe and musicality, it has the potential to be proper awesome !

@nonameswifi I don't know why, this kind of has a "metal" feel to it, good production, a bit long although not boring, good elements throughout. I do like the 2nd part better tho

@Manfreezey "bump" open hats sound kind of agressive, stylistically, I don't know, there is a lot going on, my main issue is with the sound selection, they are very static sounds that sound a lot like presets. You should work on filters, eq, automation, and sound variation throughout your track. The mix sounds clear enough, but the sounds that are used sound uninspired. Arrangement doesn't really have much variation in energy either, everything feels "60%". so to sum up I would 1. spend more time selecting interesting sounds that I could make evolve. 2. manage the energy with more amplitude throughout the track

@Nfinity beats "relax" nice 6/8, the kick is a bit too present and wet and mids-heavy. I love the melody/harmony. The drumbeat is a tad bit simple but effective. I really like some of your sounds here, the guitar layers work great !
"free hip hop beat" not a fan of this one, this doesn't sound like it's made from the same person at all, actually. I think with this style of beat, you might want to make them "lighter", maybe shorter notes, use foley percussions, the drumbeat is very basic, it would benefit from more percussion and things going on.

@Otaavetti nice track, nothing to say here, well produced. I'm not familiar with the genre enough to comment further but everything sounds in place, order, and taste.

@2GooD Productions "WIP" again on this track, I'm not a big fan of sounds selection, everything is front and center in your face, all square and right on the dot. It kind of "sounds like midi" if that makes any sense, like a video game music composed on a tracker.
I'd start by the drums, re-select better/dryer sounds and maybe play the beat on pads or a keyboard to have that human groove. Then, instead of keeping adding up elements, work more with muting them, switching them around, add automation on fx, pan, volume to create more depth. There are good things going on in there, so definitely worth working further on them.

onto the current week

@Rah.sool yea man, this is very good, you know what you're doing here

@Sole Element this is intense, man, very original and out there but properly executed, props for trying something new and different and running with it !!!! loving it

first is a collab with a UK rapper

something simple & basic

That collab with the uk rapper is nice! I wasn't expecting to nod my head like this. Didn't get to the 2nd one yet, had to comment on this. Sorry no feedback at the moment, just enjoying this. #cbf4life

iamcbf

Battle Points: 1

My beat, hope you

Enjoyed this here. Was that a sample? If so where'd it come from? Nicely done. Its hard to hear the bass in it but I'm on a phone, I hear it enough to know it's there. When I get to some real speakers #cbf4life

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad

My beat, hope you enjoy!

I am listening to your beat and keep asking myself what instrument is the main instrument. I like how the piano interacts with the main instrument/sample and the changes you implemented. The bass region feels a bit muddy but that could be a intentional choice.

Please check out my beat as well. Happy for any Feedback.

this is hot off the depresses.

@Mono Beats This is dope, real nice sample. I would like a little more variation, but I suppose you are limited by the sample.
Welcome to the showcase, and be sure to read the rules. Give and ye shall receive.

@KanetheMOD I like where this is going, really think the drums are too far back in the mix though. They should really bang IMO.
Welcome to ill, and like I said to mono, be sure to read the rules.

@Stoned Monk this is really dope, but its also really suffering from the mix, its sounds hollow, if that makes any sense, its the only way I can think to describe it.
the way its put together though, I really like it.

Last edited:
listening to the beat, I like the overall mix, drums are hitting.
my issue is with the orchestral elements, IMO, if you are doing orchestral, you want either sampled and chopsped stuff from recordings, or try to get it as realistic as you possibly can, which is usually a TON and a half of work, but worth it (although it's a skill that has to be worked on to really sound good)

brass wise, cinebrass is pretty good for kontakt, and berlin strings / berlin woodwinds are very realistic also, they're huge banks (and pricey), these are the ones I really like. But it's always such a hassle to get every articulation as perfect as you can for it to sound realistic enough, but it's never really perfect in the end, even tho you can spend hours or days on it.
still good fun tho :)

unrealistic can sound good too, but you really have to own that unrealistic thing and run with it, can't go halfway. Maybe try emulations of vintage string synths, you can get really nice results with these.

I like the overall mood and energy, the structure, not much to say really, you're doing a lot of music, putting it up for feedback, that's always a good way to make fast progress, regardless of how long you've already been doing it.
just want to say man, you have given me the kick up the arse i needed to actually bang out my drums instead of quantizing them.
From this day on, I will no longer be lazy on by drums and just go all out. I have better rhythm than I thought, even when Im stoned.
About time I started using that mod wheel too, to add some movement to my sounds. Making a beat now where nothing is quantized and I think it sounds pretty bouncy, much better groove. This year for me is all about taking my game to levels never reached and this helps a lot. So thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online