Showcase - January 6-12, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan Brodd

Battle Points: 1
Well since there is no beats here I cannot give constructive criticism, but as soon as someone posts some beats, you bet I'll get on giving some constructive critics. Here's my beats:

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
JOHAN BRODD: 01 - really good, i like the perc on this. And that lovely synth melody playing. I was thinking i missed some change ups, but ended with really enjoying this. Great work. 02 - who, yeah, that base. I like the movie feel i get, and digging these drums. 03 - You got some really good skills, loving the "hook" on this one. The mixing on all the tracks seems very god. Looking forward to listen to more of your tracks.

Here is one: The JANs - Jeg Velger Vei Feat Vilde

Lord Lav

Beatmaker
Johan Brodd;
01-interesting sounding sample in there I'd play around with the drums a little more and vary it a bit in places-though that might not be necessary with some scratching or an emcee rhyming over the beat. It depends whether this is intended to be an instrumental or not.

02-My favourite of the 3. Real nice epic sound, might be slightly muddied and perhaps could do with a bit more separation in the mix…. that being said, I am listening to this through earphones so that might be a little unfair of me. Really enjoying this one though

03-Nice. Originally I would have said try and make the snare sound a little more authentic (like a real drum) and less drum machiney, but I'm just being a picky bastard haha. Thos one's definitely a grower.

Good stuff Johan, respect!

Johan Brodd

@KDVS: very great track and beat, I can't give any critics against it, I just wanna say keep experimenting. Er du fra Norge måhända? Jag är från Sverige. Translation: I asked if you're from Norway. I myself am from Sweden. :)

@Lord Lav: I love your remix, the only few critics I got is against that the bass sounds kinda off in pitch in some places, the drums must be beefed up higher.

Lord Lav

Beatmaker
@KDVS: very great track and beat, I can't give any critics against it, I just wanna say keep experimenting. Er du fra Norge måhända? Jag är från Sverige. Translation: I asked if you're from Norway. I myself am from Sweden. :)

@Lord Lav: I love your remix, the only few critics I got is against that the bass sounds kinda off in pitch in some places, the drums must be beefed up higher.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts Johan, much appreciated :)

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
@Johan Brodd : Ja, jeg er ifra Norge. Veldig glad du fant illmuzik. Tusen hjertelig takk for gode ord. // yeah, im from Norway, very glad you found illmuzik. thank you for your kind words.

@Lord Lav : i love MF DOOM, and i agree with what Johan Brodd says, think this a very good remix.
Oh, and the language is Norwegian sir, thank you very much. :))

Johan Brodd

Thanks for your constructive criticism. :) Here's another one for y'all:

Johan. Beat 1. Dope beat, great percussion and great composition. The only thing that is bugging me is the clap, it sounds slightly late. I really like the speed up and slow down effects. Nice use of the stereo field.
Definitely my sort of beat.
Beat 2. Sounds epic at the start. Another of my sort of beats, almost movie soundtracky. Great composition once again. Nice use of heavy guitar. Great subtlety of the instruments. Are the strings sampled?
Beat 3. I like the mixing of forward and reversed samples. I also like the variation of snare and clap. Of the 3 tracks this one seems a little bit generic. This one just doesnt have the clout of the other 2.
Great skills, good to hear your music.

KDVS. I don't want to offend anyone, especially anyone female...BUT the female on the track sounds a little off key. Sort of flat at times, if that makes any sense. Apart from that, I think the backing track could be a little more prominent in the mix. Very original track, I like originality. I wouldn't mind flipping your beatboxing. ;)

Lord Lav. I agree with Johan. The bass sounds off on some notes, and the drums could be louder. I will send a couple of beats your way if your interested in jumping on them?

Last edited:

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Johan Brood - #2 This is a really dope beat...i like the arrangement but the mix is very hollow... over compression?? over limiting on the master?? super crunch check that

KDVS - This is interesting from the start. Nice clean dry mix. this is all acapella/acoustic correct? it sounds very cool...

Lord Lav - right away I hear that over compressed kick...try lowering your MID HIs -2.0db on the horns.....there is a good work you have goin on here

Here is an instrumental off my recently released "Current Events" project

"These Limbs" (Instrumental)

Last edited:

Johan Brodd

Well then a big thanks is in order to both of you. Now, @Gene Flo here comes my review of your track.

Very tight sounding mix, very nice and laid back style on the beat. The harp has a few notes off from time to time, I would skip the flanger / phaser on the piano since it really destroys the sound. Apart from that, it's a pleasure to listen to your track! Keep up your great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online