Showcase - June 2-8, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206

Been on and off with the beatmaking. Getting caught up with life. Lemme know what you guys think.

This is dope!! great chops and I think its perfect how its glued together.
Definitely makes me want to minimize on my beats..haha

Here's mine,

I wanted to put cuts on the beat, but sadly no turntable yet...
Tips and advices dropped are always appreciated.

Peace!

Kevlar070

Battle Points: 5
@ Kohie ur beat sounds cool u shud defeinitly try to stay "on" more often dan off.
@ Bugsy u cud use som chops in der but fo de rest it sounds cool.
It's dificult to give feedback when I don't know the purpose of what ur goin for it wud b cool to giv a explanation of what u guys trynna achieve.

With this beat I'm posting it's jus a collab of 90's hiphop and trap influences, but i defeinitly try to make my own lane and tell a story with my productions. Lemme kno what u guys think.

Been on and off with the beatmaking. Getting caught up with life. Lemme know what you guys think.

again, anither bates that inspires me to work harder on my craft. the Rhodes in the beginning are smooth. love that jazz guitar also. good stuff kohie

This is dope!! great chops and I think its perfect how its glued together.
Definitely makes me want to minimize on my beats..haha

Here's mine,

I wanted to put cuts on the beat, but sadly no turntable yet...
Tips and advices dropped are always appreciated.

Peace![/QUO

@ Kohie ur beat sounds cool u shud defeinitly try to stay "on" more often dan off.
@ Bugsy u cud use som chops in der but fo de rest it sounds cool.
It's dificult to give feedback when I don't know the purpose of what ur goin for it wud b cool to giv a explanation of what u guys trynna achieve.

With this beat I'm posting it's jus a collab of 90's hiphop and trap influences, but i defeinitly try to make my own lane and tell a story with my productions. Lemme kno what u guys think.

im not sure if I hear the 90s influence but I can def hear the trap. I like the diferent drops that u use. like how you chopped the very end. I probably would of sped up the hi hat in some areas but that's me. glad I listened to it tho.

I want a dusty sounding track but it sounds low to me. if anybody has any tips on crisping up the drums without clipping I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

athagreat

Battle Points: 48
@Kohie Im really feelin the way you cut the samples up everything sounds in place in the mix
@Bugsy I like the way this sounds its different i would mess with the drums a bit as they sound slightly off at times other than that everything else sounds great
@Kevlar This beat is really abstract I would turn that swoosh noise down slightly so that the rest of the beat can shine with it . It also has a techno feel to it its dope

Heres one im working on now tryna decide if i should keep it or not let me know what you guys think

@The Messengah I like the way you chopped the samples as for the drums they arent too but maybe just play with the reverb an envelopes on the eq

@Kohie Im really feelin the way you cut the samples up everything sounds in place in the mix
@Bugsy I like the way this sounds its different i would mess with the drums a bit as they sound slightly off at times other than that everything else sounds great
@Kevlar This beat is really abstract I would turn that swoosh noise down slightly so that the rest of the beat can shine with it . It also has a techno feel to it its dope

Heres one im working on now tryna decide if i should keep it or not let me know what you guys think

@The Messengah I like the way you chopped the samples as for the drums they arent too but maybe just play with the reverb an envelopes on the eq

hey thx for the feedback. yeah ima play around with the eq and c what happens.

made this an hour ago. having fun with the music. enjoying the showcase so far.

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
Really appreciate the feedback fellas.

@Bugsy - Digging the guitar line. Has a nice Latin flavor to it. Wish the bassline you have going on acted more as an underlying element to the beat as opposed to being more melodic the way you have it now. Just my preference, but I feel like a thicker, fuller sounding snare would of worked nicely here.
@Kevlar070 - The drum and bassline work on this is nice. Not sure if I'm feeling the melodic elements too much. Nice transitions going on and the mix sounds good.
@The Messengah - This has a lot of potential for me. The drums need to be cranked up a long with giving the bassline some more bump to it. I'm not a mixing genius, but possibly some more layering along with some EQing and compression would do the job. Digging the sample man. Nice.
@athagreat - The instruments sound way to thin for me. Beat has potential though. There's too much going on for me. I feel like the drums are getting lost in everything that you have going on and IMO the drums should be the most prominent. Work on getting your levels in the mix organized in a way that every element sits in the mix nicely and there's somewhat of a hierarchy in terms of "loudness" amongst all the pieces you have going on.

Bugsy

ILLIEN

I think you definitely got to where you want it to be.
The melody stands for the 90's and the drums are for the trap beats?
Great beat, this would def be good for movie scoring.
try looking more into that if you want to tell a story with your music. :)

[USER=14101]

This is a good composition man, sounds like it should be in the movies too! the sounds just needs to be fatter bigger and wider especially the drums, i say beef everything up and keep it! haha
[/user]

Kevlar070

@Bugsy Movie scoring is defeinitly in my list of things i wanna accomplish, but I like to tell stories with my beats caus of my numba 1 producing influence which is nas. Although he isnt a producer his raps r like stories and all he needs is de background environment to enhance the credibility of the story.
I can hear an artist like Troy ave, or even mobb deep on a beat like dis.

Every element of the beat is a mix of 90's n now, for example i mite make the main drums n percussion 90's style and add a buzzing 808 bass to bring it to present day, or the break down transition mite hav a present day 808 pitch bend high n low n instead of puttin som snare rolls n typical effects, i jus used a clap and bell, which is kinda minimalistic 90's style.

I usually try to create an enviornment wid my beats, n focus on bein original, which is hard "caus aint nuttin new unda de sun, so its not what i do but how its done". Nas quote

Bugsy

ILLIEN
@Bugsy Movie scoring is defeinitly in my list of things i wanna accomplish, but I like to tell stories with my beats caus of my numba 1 producing influence which is nas. Although he isnt a producer his raps r like stories and all he needs is de background environment to enhance the credibility of the story.
I can hear an artist like Troy ave, or even mobb deep on a beat like dis.

Every element of the beat is a mix of 90's n now, for example i mite make the main drums n percussion 90's style and add a buzzing 808 bass to bring it to present day, or the break down transition mite hav a present day 808 pitch bend high n low n instead of puttin som snare rolls n typical effects, i jus used a clap and bell, which is kinda minimalistic 90's style.

I usually try to create an enviornment wid my beats, n focus on bein original, which is hard "caus aint nuttin new unda de sun, so its not what i do but how its done". Nas quote

Respect! I didnt know you were already interested...and your ideas for beats are really inspiring man.
but for the average listener they wouldnt be able to relate to any of your beats unless they have a good grasp of the sounds that are playing. might i suggest tho to put conversations or ambient noises for intro and outros or something that could paint a setting for your beat? if you get what i mean.

but then again, only a suggestion. :)

I wouldnt know which artist would suit any beat, I hardly listen to the radio, nowadays, when i want to listen to music i just make em...weird i know.

peace tho!

Pouncey

EDM/Trap Producer
Can you guys give me some feedback on this one

I love everything, Really love the voice samples, The only thing that could be a little better in my opinion is the hi-hats and how they come into the beat, everything else is perfect, Great melodys!

Here's my beat, This is the beat that really hit me off with making decent melodys, I'm still new to music production, So any feedback at all good and bad will be appreciated!

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Can you guys give me some feedback on this one

Good job on the beat man, although this may need more work,
I suggest doing a high pass filter on the sample, to get rid of the low muddiness on the sample.
but if you were also aiming to include the bass on the sample might I suggest using multiband dynamics if a good eq doesnt cut it.
I personally avoid using both the melody/vocals and the bass on a sample, its usually one or the other.
As it is a pain to mix.
I love the idea of what you were aiming for tho. I also wouldve went with a different horn, probably a sax wouldve been better..but thats just me.

Here's my beat, This is the beat that really hit me off with making decent melodys, I'm still new to music production, So any feedback at all good and bad will be appreciated!

Definitely enjoyed listening to this man. love the sounds you got playing.
great melodies love how you composed it.

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36

Kohie - Yes. love this. vibe is right. i would say clean up the bassline. but some like it sloppy. whaterver good shit man

Bugsy - Love the sounds. starts off strong. i would do stronger on the drums. get some low end going on this track

Kevlar070 - Intro is dope. Drums is hot. love the dirty 80s film soundtrack vide this has. strong beat damn that switch up!!!

OmJo

While I'd like to go through every song like I used to do a few times, I just don't have the time for that anymore. Anyway...

@Kohie Coolin' : It's a dope beat, smooth from start to finish. Can't think of anything to improve on with it tbh.
@Bugsy Carinosa : I like everything but the snare and roll. The snare seems a bit offbeat and just doesn't fit the beat too well IMO.
@The Messengah This is My Craft : Feel like maybe it's missing something, but I think if there was vocals over it that'd pretty much solve that. Good job with that beat.
@Tha1AndOnlyDJT El Hector : The beginning seems a bit choppy and the chops seem to speed up, not sure if that's just my ears or if its intentional or not.

Kevlar070

Respect! I didnt know you were already interested...and your ideas for beats are really inspiring man.
but for the average listener they wouldnt be able to relate to any of your beats unless they have a good grasp of the sounds that are playing. might i suggest tho to put conversations or ambient noises for intro and outros or something that could paint a setting for your beat? if you get what i mean.

but then again, only a suggestion. :)

I wouldnt know which artist would suit any beat, I hardly listen to the radio, nowadays, when i want to listen to music i just make em...weird i know.

peace tho!

Haha, my beats arent catered to average people, de only people i try to impress are old heads and people dat kno about de evolution of hip hop music, 2 show dat u can evolve de music and not jus hav "boom bap"and "trap" labels and talk about dem like enemies. It's all 1 music.

I hear alotta beats even in this thread dat sounds like somtin else i heard b4 or datz already out, and i can't do dat anymore, its cool for wen u jus starting out but after a while u wanna make somtin like a fingerprint, datz just ur style and cant b duplicated.

OmJo

Okay I have three beats, I'm not asking for feedback on all three, one is good (or however many you'd like to do)

What:

Killing You Softly:

Think About It:

I'll return the favour to whoever gives me feedback if I haven't already beforehand ;) I know the mix isn't great, I'm still working on my mixing techniques so any advice on technique would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Haha, my beats arent catered to average people, de only people i try to impress are old heads and people dat kno about de evolution of hip hop music, 2 show dat u can evolve de music and not jus hav "boom bap"and "trap" labels and talk about dem like enemies. It's all 1 music.

I hear alotta beats even in this thread dat sounds like somtin else i heard b4 or datz already out, and i can't do dat anymore, its cool for wen u jus starting out but after a while u wanna make somtin like a fingerprint, datz just ur style and cant b duplicated.

Word!

Loved the beat man, especially the drums, althought i think its needs more sounds/hits going on as it starts to feel loopy after the hook part.

Killing You Softly:

now this one is a banger! loved everything man. just make the snare a bit more louder or phatter or harder to suit the beat.

Think About It:

love how you composed this man, melodies are not clashing together and goes side by side...very good stuff man.

your not pretty bad at mixing man, i say just keep practicing.
peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.