Showcase - March 14-20, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
So I've taken it upon myself to post up @InsideOutBeats beat from last week (as he posted on a Saturday like an absolute nutcase).

Got all the right sounds going on for me. The sample, the chat is very cool over it, the mix is nice - my only issue and it's what breaks it and would make it if you get it right, is the groove. There's no swing, no groove, the drums are very quantized and rigid. Do you put your drums in a drum bus? if not, you should. I'd get a little feedback on that snare (just a smidgen) and on the hi-hats too, a bit of reverb - and try to find that groove too. All the elements are there and I still actually really dig this but reckon it could be super nice if you get a groove. I'll stop saying groove now. Only kidding, you need to really find that groove. Groove, groove, groove!

So I've taken it upon myself to post up @InsideOutBeats beat from last week (as he posted on a Saturday like an absolute nutcase).

Got all the right sounds going on for me. The sample, the chat is very cool over it, the mix is nice - my only issue and it's what breaks it and would make it if you get it right, is the groove. There's no swing, no groove, the drums are very quantized and rigid. Do you put your drums in a drum bus? if not, you should. I'd get a little feedback on that snare (just a smidgen) and on the hi-hats too, a bit of reverb - and try to find that groove too. All the elements are there and I still actually really dig this but reckon it could be super nice if you get a groove. I'll stop saying groove now. Only kidding, you need to really find that groove. Groove, groove, groove!

@hosie thanks for the feedback man really appreciate it. Funny you picked up on that right away as it’s the first beat I’ve made with quantise ON I never use quantise apart from maybe hats so for that groove (I think you may have mentioned) I am definitely going back to no quantise too robotic with it on.
I’m still experimenting with effects and stuff and should have added a bit of reverb in there, kept the beat kind of simple not overloaded which sometimes less is more.
Once again thanks for the feedback @hosie, appreciated and thats how we all learn and grow together.

@Rah.sool, Shook - nice work on this one, the vibe and percussion really bring this alive and the moody baseline. That kick hits nice! The filtered sample is sweet too.

Upward - Intro brought in nicely. Again nice filtering on track. Lovin that flute, I can picture Afro samurai chilling to this beat right before he makes his own chops!

Nice work on another 2 beats, clearly see your putting the time in Rah.sool.

hosie

ILLIEN
Looking forward to hearing all your stuff this week. More boom bap from me, the usual:
"Shook"

"Upward"

@Rah.sool Flawless mixes as always. You know me and my style so the Dilla / PR type beat is right up my street but I think both beats are pretty flawless in their own right. I can actually hear Wutang over the first one. The drums on the Dilla beat are SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice. But I'd have liked that snare just hit a little more. I feel like it snaps too quickly and I'd have loved it just to have hit that little more. It's almost like a hi-hat rather than a snare. But that's me nitpicking. I love it! Nice one.

Just dusted off another remix. This time it's one of my favourites - Oxygen - Gone Diggin'.

Nothing here yet.

Yes Hosie! Loving this remix. ‘Put my headphones on and I’m gone’. Just had to here the original after this. What a video to this track, the art and passion of diggin’.
This remix is funky as fuck. Whole vibe complements the acapella perfectly.
Only part for me was around 1.05 to 1.10 mark seem a bit off, other than that another fire remix, loving these, keep them coming man.

C12omega

C12
Battle Points: 2
@C12omega, Media Frenzy - Luigi’s mansion with added psychopaths! Eerie, dark, story telling vibe to this, someone’s getting murdered feeling to this one. Samples sweet, Halloween themed.
For me could do with the hats back a bit. Nice work.
Yes thank you but the story to this beat is Eerier the beginning is telling how the Media, Social media, and tabloids are always "screwing" with people that's why you hear flash photography and Sex than the Song, and thanks I never thought Luigi and mysterious murder good ear

hosie

ILLIEN
@InsideOutBeats Thanks my man! Yes, I think I've moved the drum pattern off beat by the sounds of it. I'll get that fixed tonight. Thanks for spotting! I must have literally did that accidentally during the mixdown process as I had a few listens through and it was fine. Cheers again!

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
Thank you all for the feedback

@C12omega Very interesting beat bro. Reminds me of some of the songs in the Super Mario games. The sound selection is certainly cohesive. All the instruments fit together and I think you accomplished what you were trying to with this one. Nice work!

@InsideOutBeats Thanks for the feedback bro. Nice work! Obviously you were being silly with this one. So with that in mind, no musical feedback. I think the vibe of it is lighthearted and chill and perfectly matches funny dialogue on top. Way to try something different bro! Great job

@hosie Thanks for the feedback my guy. Great job on this one bro. I really like the way you programmed the drums, and the sound selection is real nice. I only have some mixing feedback, I would say boost that kick and snare. Or really just the boost the drums in general. Also, I would recommend lowering the volume of the vocals, or cut out some frequencies to make it cut through less. Unless, you wanted to accentuate the lyrics more than the instrumental. In which case, this is flawless chief. Great work on this one brother.

hosie

ILLIEN
Thank you all for the feedback

@C12omega Very interesting beat bro. Reminds me of some of the songs in the Super Mario games. The sound selection is certainly cohesive. All the instruments fit together and I think you accomplished what you were trying to with this one. Nice work!

@InsideOutBeats Thanks for the feedback bro. Nice work! Obviously you were being silly with this one. So with that in mind, no musical feedback. I think the vibe of it is lighthearted and chill and perfectly matches funny dialogue on top. Way to try something different bro! Great job

@hosie Thanks for the feedback my guy. Great job on this one bro. I really like the way you programmed the drums, and the sound selection is real nice. I only have some mixing feedback, I would say boost that kick and snare. Or really just the boost the drums in general. Also, I would recommend lowering the volume of the vocals, or cut out some frequencies to make it cut through less. Unless, you wanted to accentuate the lyrics more than the instrumental. In which case, this is flawless chief. Great work on this one brother.

@Rah.sool Thanks again for the feedback! dude you pick up on my accentuated vocals every time. I wonder if it's my shit ears (I'm hoping it is my shit ears and not my new headphones lol). I actually think it's my mastering / mixing that flattens out my drums because I like to have them fat but a few folk have picked up on them not sounding as good / loud as I think I have them before mixing.

Here's another one I've literally just dusted off. See if there's a difference. Any and all feedback appreciated as always!

Nothing here yet.

Last edited:

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@Rah.sool loving both beats but that second is super soulful! Loving that one! Nice work bro!
@C12omega like the synths and the 808s
@hosie that beat really compliments those lyrics very well!! I like this one a lot. That second remix is where it’s at I love stuff like this
@Humble_Minds_ love that relaxed melancholy sound on this. Very smooth and flows together! Would love to hear vocals over this.

hosie

ILLIEN
@Sole Element !!!!!!!! Where have you been? Hope you're good. Missed hearing your soundscapes!

First off, thanks for the feedback on both of mine. Appreciated as always.

Loving this new one of yours. Great title for it too. I can actually hear some nice smooth rhymes over this. Because there isn't an MC on this I'd actually cut the "verse" sections down and bring the other elements in sooner. The subtle piano at 1:07 is lovely. I'd maybe even have that falling in and out every 4-8 bars. Maaaaaan, waiting until 1:50 for that segment! I'd definitely be introducing that part sooner. I'd definitely recommend a shorter instrumental and dropping the elements in sooner. I reckon you could scale this back to under 2 minutes without ruining anything. You want to leave them wanting more. If they want to hear it again they can just loop it. Love this!

Status
Not open for further replies.